Plumbing UV light with only one pump

  • Thread starter Thread starter danberger
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

danberger

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 20, 2022
Messages
53
Reaction score
28
Location
Boise
What state or country do you live in
Idaho
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey all,

I am looking for feedback on my in-line UV light that I hit installed.

I added a pvc pipe to my Neptune COR20 pump that has a splitter. One pipe is the return back to the display and one goes to the UV, which spits water out back to the sump.

1D4FB954-CA26-40AB-8A5A-D5E02A39289A.jpeg


Is this okay or was I lazy and should have added a separate pump strictly for the UV’s use?
 
one pump is OK as long as you get enough flow to both sides. Did you install a valve to control flow? UV usually has slower flow requirements (I think).
 
We do a lot of custom set ups exactly how you did it. What size is your UV? If you are running AquaUv 57w we run 450-500gph through it. We do not run the manufacture recommendations, in our experience they are much higher then should be.

Screenshot 2022-11-21 083415.jpg
 
That is exactly how I plumbed my setup with the flow coming out of the return pump going through the UV Sterilizer and then back to the tank. I am a Neptune Apex user so added a flow meter inline too. I can then tune the flow for what I want the UV Sterilizer to do. I am using an Aqua Ultraviolet Classic.

Screenshot 2022-11-21 at 8.45.27 AM.png
 
In our experience that flow chart is high and does not kill fish parasites like velvet with their recommendations. They only use a 3" tube comparted to RK2 or larger units that use a 5" tube giving them a disadvantage. AquaUV is a great brand and great size but I feel their flow chart should be much lower.
 
In our experience that flow chart is high and does not kill fish parasites like velvet with their recommendations. They only use a 3" tube comparted to RK2 or larger units that use a 5" tube giving them a disadvantage. AquaUV is a great brand and great size but I feel their flow chart should be much lower.
Thanks for the tip and advice. This is the first time I am using them and appreciate your experience with UV.
 
In our experience that flow chart is high and does not kill fish parasites like velvet with their recommendations. They only use a 3" tube comparted to RK2 or larger units that use a 5" tube giving them a disadvantage. AquaUV is a great brand and great size but I feel their flow chart should be much lower.

Really smart to add a flow sensor to that. I’ll do that. What flow are you running at? I read recommended is 400 GPH.
 
Really smart to add a flow sensor to that. I’ll do that. What flow are you running at? I read recommended is 400 GPH.
Btw, I have the Aqua Ultraviolet 25watt classic as well. Table is 143 gallon.
 
Btw, I have the Aqua Ultraviolet 25watt classic as well. Table is 143 gallon.
We would be running that at about 200-250 but that is what we do. Feel the output for a slow nice consistent flow.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 4 20.0%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 5.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new