PLUMBING

rcalderon310

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 60 gallon breeder tank which i am running with a canister filter.
Iam trying to upgrade to sump but I NEED help with the plumbing .
Also what do i do with everything inside the canister..... PLEASE HELP

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need some sort of overflow box in or on the tank. From there the water goes into the sump usually thru a pipe. From the sump a pump is used to pump the water back into the tank. Million ways to configure the sump ( internet search ).
You can throw away the stuff in your canister.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

rcalderon310

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need some sort of overflow box in or on the tank. From there the water goes into the sump usually thru a pipe. From the sump a pump is used to pump the water back into the tank. Million ways to configure the sump ( internet search ).
You can throw away the stuff in your canister.
I dont need any of the beneficial bacteria that’s inside the canister???

I have a 3 chamber sump. On the first chamber I plan to put a protein skimmer and in the last one THE RETURN PUMP. What do I put in the middle chamber??

Upvote 0

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all welcome to R2R!
Usually in the first chamber goes your mechanical filtration, ie; socks, fleece roller etc. The middle chamber is for reactors and your protein skimmer and heater, and the third would be your return pump.
You can use what was in your canister to help start your cycle, but if you have existing established rock in your tank, I would not worry about it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

rcalderon310

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all welcome to R2R!
Usually in the first chamber goes your mechanical filtration, ie; socks, fleece roller etc. The middle chamber is for reactors and your protein skimmer and heater, and the third would be your return pump.
You can use what was in your canister to help start your cycle, but if you have existing established rock in your tank, I would not worry about it.
image.jpg

Upvote 0

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Canisters usually have trays of stuff. I don’t think they would work in your sump. You want some sort of filtration like a filter sock that would replace the cotton like material in your canister.

Upvote 0
Back