Plywood tank, long term option?

cedwards04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've searched around and found plenty of people who have built plywood tanks, but I have not been able to find anyone commenting on how well it worked out long term. I'm talking 5+yrs of use. I'm looking for an economical way to build a very large frag system and thinking plywood may be a good option, but I want to make sure the thing isn't going to fall apart from rot in a year or 2. I am no stranger to wood working and have all the tools and skills needed to build something quite sturdy, im more concerned with the coatings used for the inside holding up long term.

Can anyone comment on their life expectancy that has had one, or point me to a thread where this has already been discussed? Thanks.

dutch27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest instead getting acrylic and weld-on and making an acrylic tank.

OP
OP
C

cedwards04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest instead getting acrylic and weld-on and making an acrylic tank.
This is basically my back up plan. I've built some small things from acrylic (ato reservoir, overflow boxes, etc), so im familiar with it. Plywood would appear to be significantly cheaper, but it just may not be a good option in the end.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 47.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 52.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • None.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back