Plywood tank, long term option?

  • Thread starter Thread starter cedwards04
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

cedwards04

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 10, 2018
Messages
314
Reaction score
261
What state or country do you live in
Mississippi
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've searched around and found plenty of people who have built plywood tanks, but I have not been able to find anyone commenting on how well it worked out long term. I'm talking 5+yrs of use. I'm looking for an economical way to build a very large frag system and thinking plywood may be a good option, but I want to make sure the thing isn't going to fall apart from rot in a year or 2. I am no stranger to wood working and have all the tools and skills needed to build something quite sturdy, im more concerned with the coatings used for the inside holding up long term.

Can anyone comment on their life expectancy that has had one, or point me to a thread where this has already been discussed? Thanks.
 
I would suggest instead getting acrylic and weld-on and making an acrylic tank.
 
I would suggest instead getting acrylic and weld-on and making an acrylic tank.
This is basically my back up plan. I've built some small things from acrylic (ato reservoir, overflow boxes, etc), so im familiar with it. Plywood would appear to be significantly cheaper, but it just may not be a good option in the end.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 15.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 58 33.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 12 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 12 7.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new