PO4:Iodine ratio

  • Thread starter Thread starter MiZuboov
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

MiZuboov

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 21, 2018
Messages
155
Reaction score
22
What state or country do you live in
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Fauna marin said below:
But what can be done, if I have 0,2 PO4? I need to overdose iodine? What value of iodine I need in this case. Thanks a lot.
We call this factor “brown level”. It describes the ratio of iodine concentration to phosphate concentration. With a low PO₄³⁻ value and a simultaneous iodine value of over 80 µg/l(0,26 US.liq.gal.), many SPS corals start to turn brownish. At the same time, however, some coral genera such as Pocillopora and Seriatoporalose brown coloration and get whitish. With this factor increasing and giving higher values, more of your corals will loose coloration and get brown. If your PO₄³⁻ value is below 0.04 mg/l(0,26 US.liq.gal.), your iodine value should not rise above 80 µg/l(0,26 US.liq.gal.).
 
Hi! Fauna marin said below:
But what can be done, if I have 0,2 PO4? I need to overdose iodine? What value of iodine I need in this case. Thanks a lot.

No.
FM has some serious misunderstandings of chemistry. I don’t know if this claim is true or not, but it does not say that high phosphate leads to brown with normal iodine, and that certainly appears to not be the case based on tank with far higher phosphate than you that do not have elevated iodine yet have great coral colors.
 
No.
FM has some serious misunderstandings of chemistry. I don’t know if this claim is true or not, but it does not say that high phosphate leads to brown with normal iodine, and that certainly appears to not be the case based on tank with far higher phosphate than you that do not have elevated iodine yet have great coral colors.
What ratio would be optimal example for 0,2 ppm of PO4?
 
What ratio would be optimal example for 0,2 ppm of PO4?
Are you going to be testing for it at home? Pretty sure ICP fairs poorly at these rapidly consumed elements. I keep mine easily detectable, that's about 0.02 - 0.06 from memory.
 
Are you going to be testing for it at home? Pretty sure ICP fairs poorly at these rapidly consumed elements. I keep mine easily detectable, that's about 0.02 - 0.06 from memory.
Last ICP determined about 82 ug/l
How do you measure your iodine?
What your PO4?
 
Seachem iodine and iodide test kit. Appears to work OK.

Wife's tank < 0.1
My tank < 0.2 (mostly :))
Ho to identify overdose of I? I mean looking at corals.
 
What ratio would be optimal example for 0,2 ppm of PO4?

If you believe iodine is important, I’d target natural levels of 0.06 ppm iodine regardless of the phosphate level.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new