Pods or Ich? Probably Ich..

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpeg

This is the best photo I could get.. I first saw them and thought look my pods multiplied.. Then wow these are tiny white guys everywhere... It's probably Ich..

I lost a fish probably 3 days ago and around that time added a mesh around my return pump (which has been sitting out of water for a long time but use to be used in freshwater) before that maybe a week ago I added chaeto which use to be from someone else's tank. Other than that nothing new.

What could have caused this? Maybe I overdosed my calcium and my only fish stressed out and now I have an Ich outbreak? Thanks

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can see it, it's not ick. The only thing you can see that indicates ick (besides behavioral symptoms) is the build up of mucus around the insertion points of each individual parasite- on the fish. You will never be able to see them on the glass, rocks, ect with your naked eye. Rest easy :)

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What could have caused this? Maybe I overdosed my calcium and my only fish stressed out and now I have an Ich outbreak? Thanks

Your probably seeing pods which is a good thing and a result of them breeding with nothing to eat them.

OP
OP
Frop

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your probably seeing pods which is a good thing and a result of them breeding with nothing to eat them.

I hope you're right. I'd be super excited if those pods were breeding since I lost my scooter to starvation a few days ago (which was about 2-3 days after I added pods to the fuge but I never saw pods leaving the fuge. But I know they're there, just tucked away in a huge pile of chaeto.)

My tank is like 5 weeks old and this would totally be a spirit cramper if I already run into ich. I know we've had it in the fresh water tank at least 3 times over the span of a year. My wife and I can see them moving around in the fresh water.

Last edited:

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

^^Agree. White dots on the glass/rock is most likely pods or snail babies. White dots on your fish usually means a parasite problem; although it's best to ensure its not just sand stuck to the fish's slime coat before freaking out. ;) Sand will be on top of the skin and will often dangle when the fish swims in front of a pump.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely not ich, you can't see it with the naked eye. As said, on a fish you see the mucous trying to protect the fish, not the parasite. Those would be some sort of pods.

Brad1215

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a run in with ich you really only see them as spots on fish. Never seen them anywhere else. I'd say this is not if ich

OP
OP
Frop

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry guys I am still in a huge panic. I swear I can see Ich when I get it in my freshwater tank. I've seen this guy lay flat like 3x in the sand and he has like 11 white spots on him. And it's everywhere... D:

WS1.JPG

http://www.ultimatereef.net/uploader/2006Q4/WS1.JPG

The photo above says they're .33-.45mm

.001mm = 1 μm

image.jpeg

If you hold a pair of calipers to the light you can see even a .001" gap or .025mm gap. Usually it's how we check if the tip has been damage or not.

If the video is in high quality you can see tons of specs. If not there will only be a couple in the video.

Brad1215

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The spots on the glass or anywhere other then on the fish itself are Not ich. Once again. You can only see ich on the fish. Its can not be seen on the glass or rocks.
Now you may spirorbid worms havehttp://melevsreef.com/id/crawls.html
Or something.

Also I'm not saying your fish doesn't have ich its possible but all the white spots everywhere else .... Not ich....
Side note for future reference I believe freshwater ich and saltwater ich are 2 different things

OP
OP
Frop

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or something.

Side note for future reference I believe freshwater ich and saltwater ich are 2 different things

Saying page not found.

Also good to know :)

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The spots on the glass or anywhere other then on the fish itself are Not ich. Once again. You can only see ich on the fish. Its can not be seen on the glass or rocks.
Or something.

Also I'm not saying your fish doesn't have ich its possible but all the white spots everywhere else .... Not ich....

Exactly right ^^^ ... I promise you CAN NOT see ick with the naked eye. You can't even -technically- see it on the fish. All you see is the mucus build up. Without a microscope you wont see it.

Also correct above ^^.. Freshwater ick and Saltwater ick are two very different species

Please rest assured that what your seeing isnt ick. Your fish may have ick, but I didn't see it in your video

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly right ^^^ ... I promise you CAN NOT see ick with the naked eye. You can't even -technically- see it on the fish. All you see is the mucus build up. Without a microscope you wont see it.

Also correct above ^^.. Freshwater ick and Saltwater ick are two very different species

Please rest assured that what your seeing isnt ick. Your fish may have ick, but I didn't see it in your video

^^100% correct

OP
OP
Frop

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish still has spots and scrapes on the sand.. Time to look into ich cures. Freshwater I can turn the heat up, but would that work here? Probably not ..

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can do a freshwater dip to relieve the fish.
Then in a qt tank dose with copper. I used copper power and it worked well. I kept it between 1 and 2 on the testing kit. My fish have a week left of copper. Should do it for a month and leave ur tank fallow for 76 days I beleive. @melypr1985 knows better then me on the fallow period. U would have to do the qt with all of ur fish as u don't want to cure the one fish and then introduce it back into a system with ich in it. It wasn't hard for me to do but ur going to need another tank 20-30 gallons with a HOB I have an air stone and a small power head in it as well as some pvc pipes for hiding spaces. There's tons of info out there on this website u just have to look. Good luck and remember to top off the tank every night because copper is like salt it won't evaporate so if u lose a gallon of water ur salinity a Ppm of copper will rise now go take care of ur fishies
Justin

OP
OP
Frop

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can do a freshwater dip to relieve the fish.
Then in a qt tank dose with copper. I used copper power and it worked well. I kept it between 1 and 2 on the testing kit. My fish have a week left of copper. Should do it for a month and leave ur tank fallow for 76 days I beleive. @melypr1985 knows better then me on the fallow period. U would have to do the qt with all of ur fish as u don't want to cure the one fish and then introduce it back into a system with ich in it. It wasn't hard for me to do but ur going to need another tank 20-30 gallons with a HOB I have an air stone and a small power head in it as well as some pvc pipes for hiding spaces. There's tons of info out there on this website u just have to look. Good luck and remember to top off the tank every night because copper is like salt it won't evaporate so if u lose a gallon of water ur salinity a Ppm of copper will rise now go take care of ur fishies
Justin

I'm thinking of buying that copper powder and a UV sterilizer for my QT. what brand copper you using? Anyone have suggestions ? :) also the article didn't say anything on heat?

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would skip the uv sterilizer and get a diatom filter instead.
The brand is called copper power it is blue. It is a liquid.
And the tank I have has been set to like 79 I think I read a little hotter is ok

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the article didn't say anything on heat?

There is no real need to raise the temp. Lower temps will hold more oxygen so that's best here since all meds you may use to treat ick will use up available oxygen in the water.

OP
OP
Frop

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The brand is called copper power it is blue. It is a liquid.
And the tank I have has been set to like 79 I think I read a little hotter is ok

How many ounces per gallon do you use? I don't see that info on amazon..

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back