Point & Shoot vs Macro Lens...

  • Thread starter Thread starter andijo81
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

andijo81

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 3, 2012
Messages
319
Reaction score
43
Location
Wisconsin
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a Nikon D60 and am seriously considering a macro lens. If I get a lens, it'll most likely be a Tamron 90mm 2.8. My question is, are there any point and shoot cameras w/ the capabilty of taking comparable macro pictures? The mega pixels available now w/ the newer cameras are crazy. It doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility that they could take macro/macro-like shots. However, I've no clue really.:)
 
If it were me, I would go with the macro lens for the DSLR you already have. You can always update the body at a later time and as long as you got another Nikon you could use your old lenses. They can only squeeze so much into a small P&S body. Most of the P&S cameras out there are a compromise. What I mean by that, is they are good at a lot of things but exceptional at very few. With a DSLR, like you already have, it can be exceptional at most things by just changing the lens. Granted, the lenses can get very expensive.

With that said, P&S cameras do seem to get better every year and the line between DSLR and P&S is no longer black and white, it is varying shades of gray. I have a P&S camera that I bought years ago that I still use, but when I want quality shots I get out my DSLR as my percentage of "keepers" goes up dramatically.

The above is just my opinion and what I would do, I realize not everyone is a camera nut like I am :wave:
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 4 5.8%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 19 27.5%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 27.5%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 9 13.0%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 4 5.8%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 10.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 5.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new