Poll - 6 Lined Wrasse Aggression

Discussion in 'Fish Discussion' started by Brew12, Jan 29, 2018.

?
  1. He has always been my only wrasse.

131 vote(s)
    20.1%
  2. He is a model citizen and lives nicely with my other wrasse(s).

82 vote(s)
    12.6%
  3. He stresses me out but has a strained relationship with my other wrasse(s).

17 vote(s)
    2.6%
  4. He is evil incarnate and violently prevents me from having other wrasses.

85 vote(s)
    13.1%
  5. I have never had a 6 line Wrasse

336 vote(s)
    51.6%
  1. Brew12

Brew12 Electrical Gru R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

A discussion came up recently about the 6-line that I found very interesting. So, I want to load up on anecdotal evidence.

If you have a 6 line wrasse with another wrasse please add to the discussion with your tank size, the order you added them in, and the species of wrasse they are with. Of course, any other comments or advice are welcome!

WWIII likes this.
    Tags:

2. eatbreakfast

eatbreakfast Fish Nerd Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor Expert Contributor Partner Member Partner Member 2018

I have had them in numerous clients tanks with other wrasses(their call, not mine) and in all but the largest of tanks they eventually had to be removed. Tank sizes included 60g, 75g, 90g, 125g, 175g, and 250g. They were fine in an 850g.

ot7, sfin52, WWIII and 2 others like this.
  3. sundog101

sundog101 Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

At least they’re nice in an 850 gal!!

ot7, 6Bolt, sfin52 and 4 others like this.
  4. pcon

pcon Member

Not a smart idea to mix a 6 line. Maybe will it work, every fish is an individual, but there is pushing the envelope, and disregard for collective experience.

WWIII, Brew12 and eatbreakfast like this.
  5. 4FordFamily

4FordFamily Tang, Angel, & Wrasse Addict Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

Agree. It’s always a matter of time!

WWIII, Brew12, pcon and 1 other person like this.
  6. Kmsutows

Kmsutows Active Member

I've had one in my 150gal for a number of months maybe a year then introduced a flame wrasse via acclimation box.. 6 line never looked at it in the box that I saw. It's been a month or so now and the 6 line still will randomly chase the flame wrasse. Flame now hangs out with my male ventralis. Both get chased every now and then. Hoping to stick it in my frag tank once it's up and running

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
    Brew12 and eatbreakfast like this.
  7. rich nyc

rich nyc Active Member

Are they only evil to other wrasses or to other peaceful fish

8. Jimmy Lee

Jimmy Lee Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

I have always been told I will never be able to keep any other wrasse while I have a six line wrasse.... Mine is so peaceful towards other fish...at least it appears that way.

9. XNavyDiver

XNavyDiver Insightful answer loading... please wait. R2R Supporter

Mine is the only wrasse in my tank. He has always been a model citizen.

Adele, MikeAndrews and WWIII like this.
  10. Kmsutows

Kmsutows Active Member

Evil to anything easy to bully

eatbreakfast likes this.
  11. WWIII

WWIII Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor LMAS Member

Mine was nice for a couple years in my 90 gallon. Then when I moved him into my 200 gallon he turned on me. Well, turned on the other tank inhabitants. You better not even look like a wrasse or you will get pestered non stop. I've been debating trying to catch him and move him to my frag tank for a while now.

And to think I used to stand up for these guys saying mine was a model citizen and never bothered anything. :)

Reef Stu and eatbreakfast like this.
  12. BootyPup

BootyPup Member

Well, I had a six line wrasse for two-three months.. then he just disappeared a while ago.

13. BigJim

BigJim Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

I have never had a six line wrasse, but I have a mystery wrasse that everyone told me would be almost as bad. He has never been a problem in the 5 years I have had him. In fact, I have had to rehome a Halichoeres biocellatus, a Halichoeres melanurus and a Cirrhilabrus lubbocki because they were picking on the mystery wrasse. My attempts at keeping other wrasses with my mystery wrasse have failed for the opposite reason.

14. Porpoise Hork

Porpoise Hork Member

My 6 line was one of the first fish I put in my 40g. He/she has always been a model citizen for me. Well except when I had the spawn of Satan (Yellow & Black Damsel) in there. The Damsel got really aggressive and claimed about 90% of the tank as his. I would see my 6 line regularly pair up with my Cherub Angel to challenge Beelzebub for dominance and space. Since I removed Mephistopheles everyone has settled down and all play nice together.

steveb likes this.
  15. Robink

Robink Valuable Member

I have a sixline, a ruby head, and a katoi wrasse. The sixline has no problems with the wrasse but he hates my chromis! I have two chromis a big one and a small one. In the sixline's defense the small chromis started it. They do not like each other, the chromis will attempt to chase the sixline who attempts to ignore him and then loses it and chases him all over the tank. In the beginning it was just the small chromis and now the bigger one has started doing it also. I think it initially started over sleeping spots. Luckily it only lasts maybe 10-15 seconds and then they go on about their business.

16. AJsTank

AJsTank Well-Known Member

In general, they are usually models citizens.... Until you add something it doesn't like. I saw a pole on a forum in regards to the worst fish you ever owned. Over a 200 votes and 70% of the people said six line wrasse lol

Labridaedicted and eatbreakfast like this.
  17. Velcro

Velcro Valuable Member

Mine tried to kill my mandarin over and over. It was an easy decision to keep the mandarin and ditch the sixline. I now have a melanarus and two leopard wrasses and would never consider a six line. My wrasses are way more interesting than my six line ever was and they have even managed to "visually" eradicate montipora eating nudibranchs.

Reef Stu and eatbreakfast like this.
  18. madweazl

madweazl Valuable Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

My last six line typically left the other fish alone but was a terror in regard to snatching food from corals/gorgonians. I've had one that was a model citizen and one that was a total dbag.

19. rockstarta78

rockstarta78 Well-Known Member

Gorgeous little fish but an absolute jerk.

eatbreakfast likes this.
  20. Caseyoidae

Caseyoidae Well-Known Member Catskill Reef Member Build Thread Contributor Hudson Valley Reef Keepers

Someone gave me a sixline,I tore apart my tank trying to get him back out. He'd even attack my clown tang.. I gave him away pretty quick

wannaheli and eatbreakfast like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted