Poll: ATO - Independent or Controller Dependent

ATO - Independent or Controller Dependent

• Independent ATO System

Votes: 375 57.0%
  • Controller Dependent System

Votes: 82 12.5%
  • Combination of the two (ie: ATO monitored by controller)

Votes: 96 14.6%
  • I manually top off

Votes: 97 14.7%
  • Other

Votes: 8 1.2%

• Total voters

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed this pop up recently so let's discuss it. Do you use an independent ATO mechanism or do you use one associated with a controller? It may even be a combination of both. So how are you managing your ATO needs? This is not necessarily a discussion on brands but feel free to discuss your preferences there as well.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Independent controller (Smart ATO). I don't have an aquarium controller unfortunately. Works great, only one slight issue with it that the manufacturer is aware of and will send replacement parts for it no questions asked :)

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a standalone sensor that triggers the ATO channel on my Reef Angel. The Reef Angel monitors how long the ATO pump is on and kills it after 10 minutes. It sends me a text alert to let me know the ATO timed out.

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made my own gravity ATO of 4 gallons and is working fine. Take about 4 days to refill.

Last edited:

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use my Apex with float switches to control my DOS. I set my DOS to pump about twice my daily evaporation rate, but to be off when a float is triggered.

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a DIY dosing pump and "dose" freshwater on a schedule. The dosing pump is just a cheap $10 peristaltic pump off Ebay, a 12VDC power supply, and a simple timer circuit. The beauty of the device is that it's so dumb. The circuit turns the dosing pump on once an hour and doses some freshwater. No float switches to get stuck or fall off the side of the sump, no optical sensors to fail on or off, nothing. The only failure point in which the pump could stick on is if the relay fuses NO to COM, which is unlikely because of the low current flowing through the circuit.

tastyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use an independent ATO (TMC Reef Fill, which I believe is an OEM from CoralBox).
Essentially, it's an optical level sensor, combined with a float switch for over fill shut off.

The pump can only run for a defined maximum period of time and it has an autostop to prevent it running dry.

It will also alarm if the RO level drops or the overfill float switch is triggered. There are a couple of ports on the top which I've been meaning to run a multi-meter off of to see what they do - hopefully they can link to the Apex BoB for alarming.

I went for this one as I'd heard so many horror stories on the Neptune ATK that I decided it would be £200 badly spent. :(

If the quality or reliability was there, then I'd have no problems having an integrated ATO with my controller, but it does me no harm to have them separate. Hopefully I can link the outputs to the Apex and get a remote alarm configured.

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Tunze on all my tanks. Only power can be controlled by my controller. This is one of those areas where I believe should be standalone from a controller only with power control. Love my Apex controllers but I try not to put all my eggs in one basket. I have had the unfortunate experience of an Apex not functioning like it should because of a bad module. So I tend to not have it control every single aspect of my system.

rossco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a Tunze, voted a combination of both.

I now run my top -off through a Kalk reactor. I have set my Apex to shut the ATO outlet off if the pH reaches 8.2, which is just .1 higher than my normal pH peak of the day. This ensures I won’t have up to 15 gallons (if my ATO chamber happens to be full at the time) of Kalk dump into my tank at once. It actually saved me once when my drain pipes both slowed because of algae and my tank level rose. That caused the sump level to drop which kicked in my ATO.

Without the Kalk reactor I just figured a failure that caused the ATO to run the chamber dry wouldn’t be enough fresh water to be catastrophic.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the tunze ato's. These things are great. I did have a diy gravity fed ato the container was higher then fed into a float for livestock I got from Tractor supply. The float was big but worked great.

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the past I used a JBJ ATO and it worked great. This time around I am just having my RKL control a ATO pump with a float switch via the SL1. When the switch is closed the pump is off when its open the pump is on, very simple and saves some money on buying a separate ATO unit.

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like using a high quality, normally off solenoid connected to an upper and lover float switch (autotopoff.com). The solenoid is connected via 12 volt to a switch on my Apex and the switch comes on for a max of 8 times a day for 60 seconds max. My setup is actually a little more complicated than this because I have a kalk reactor and a few reducers in the mix as well as a couple of more solenoids and an additional hi water switch on the Apex. I've been using this system for 15 years or so and have never had a failure (timers before the Apex was available).

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well,
Running an 2013 Red Sea (S-400).

It has a built in 6 gallon ATO reservoir and a float valve in the sump.

Has never failed, but (lol) there's always tomorrow... :eek:

If I did a stand alone it would have to be the ole Tunze 3155, just can't beat that thing.

:)

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hose run up the wall controlled by smart switch and phone... not really auto

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had (actually still have) a Tunze. It was bullet proof.

When the Neptune ATK came out I got one to try partially because I was curious, partially because I was planning in getting an Apex. Integrated with the Apex it works fine, and it has the side benefit of saving a 120V outlet but for stand alone use the Tunze definitely comes out ahead.

Crashjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a standalone sensor that triggers the ATO channel on my Reef Angel. The Reef Angel monitors how long the ATO pump is on and kills it after 10 minutes. It sends me a text alert to let me know the ATO timed out.

I use the pressure sensor/water level expansion module with my Reef Angel. A nice feature is that you get to control the sensitivity via setting water level on/off values, so a narrow on/off range runs the pump often but keeps the water level very constant, and a broader range runs the pump less often but allows the water level to fluctuate more. As stated, you can also program a failsafe to where the pump shuts-off after so many seconds. I have the dosing pump I use for top-off set to turn-off after 6 minutes. Obviously nothing is full-proof, but this is a nice failsafe. Another nice failsafe is that the water level is constantly transmitted to a website so you can check it with your phone or a PC. You can also setup email alerts based on the water level being too high, too low, ATO timed out, etc.

Reefs of Space

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really enjoy every aspect of this hobby, so nothing is automated. I have a 4 gallon reservoir with a pump in it wired to a switch. Every morning and night I flip the switch for a moment while I'm staring at my tank anyway.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 162 61.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 69 26.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 91 34.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 45 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 69 26.2%
Back