Votes: 25 4.0%

• Total voters

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a question if you're dedicated to your tank, which we all are. But do you have a dedicated tank to a particular coral family. SPS, LPS, Zoas/Palys and other softies, NPS, or like me, a mixed reef. Feel free to share your reasons if you do have a dedicated reef.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I restrict myself to a single tank to take care of, so I must have a mixed reef. Too many cool things out there for me to have a dedicated SPS or LPS or whatever. :)

Sea MunnKey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the best of both sps, lps and softies altogether in the same system provided that they're placed strategically apart and so not to create chemical warfare. I know it's easier said than done but past experience has taught me the pros and cons ... at least on my part. lol

Amps Reef Life

That Fish Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently, I have a mixed reef. Not long ago I did have a mixed reef but mostly LPS with a softies tank and an anemone tank all in the same room.

CanadianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mixed reef. I love fish too much to run a low nutrient SPS tank, though that would be my preferred coral. My nitrates are always around 2, so it's simply not an option...

ChiCity

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I tried mixed, and I personally found it impossible to maintain lps and sps in the same system.
Just couldn’t get both to thrive in the system...
So now I have 2 tanks.
Sps system.
And a Lps/Zoa tank....

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a 10g xenia only tank! :)

RyanCSGO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mixed, actually wish I would have gone SPS only, but the wife prefers LPS. no chance at not having at least a few.

I have a 10g xenia only tank! :)
Thats so cool! wanted to do a tank like that a little while ago.

CanadianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2ppm sounds perfect for sps to me. :)
Actually that's on the low side for LPS and Softies.
Yes, I would agree.

Unfortunately I have to dose 30mg nopox everyday (Yes, I have a really large tank) to keep it there... And unless I have a hair algae breakout in the tank (which sucks up my phosphates), my phosphate level is 0.1. I can't get it to the .03 level they recommend. Nopox states no GFO or phosphate removal media should be used in conjunction with the product, and despite my large refugium, that's where it hovers :(

Don't get me wrong - I have some nice SPS colonies growing in my tank, but I've also had die off. It depends on the type of acro I'm trying to grow out ... My acros are coloured up, but not that nice pale version you see in ultra low nutrient systems.

I know, I know.... feed less etc., but I love my fish, am bordering on overstocked, and like to keep them plump and full of vitamins so their immune systems help ward off issues.

My newest tank has only been up and running since June-ish, so as it matures, I'll aim to add more colonies and see what happens :)

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I would agree.

Unfortunately I have to dose 30mg nopox everyday (Yes, I have a really large tank) to keep it there... And unless I have a hair algae breakout in the tank (which sucks up my phosphates), my phosphate level is 0.1. I can't get it to the .03 level they recommend. Nopox states no GFO or phosphate removal media should be used in conjunction with the product, and despite my large refugium, that's where it hovers :(

Don't get me wrong - I have some nice SPS colonies growing in my tank, but I've also had die off. It depends on the type of acro I'm trying to grow out ... My acros are coloured up, but not that nice pale version you see in ultra low nutrient systems.

I know, I know.... feed less etc., but I love my fish, am bordering on overstocked, and like to keep them plump and full of vitamins so their immune systems help ward off issues.

My newest tank has only been up and running since June-ish, so as it matures, I'll aim to add more colonies and see what happens :)

I run gfo with nopox, many do. Just make sure that your phosphate levels don't bottom out.

Kremis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
28 gallon all softy tank. the tank is also REALLY heavily overstocked, so it works out. havent ran the skimmer in a few months and all the corals are doing better than ever.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty much mixed....acros, montis (branching and encrusting), acans, duncans, plate corals, frogspawn, zoas, NPS (dendros), nemes(I know, invert). I do not have any leathers, xenia or GSP.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I felt dirty clicking on "Mixed reef", but, I do have some non-corals in my tank such as a few acans, and 4-5 Zoas. The rest is all real corals, SPS.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back