Votes: 328 56.5%

• Total voters

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only fish I ever named was my melanurus -- Melanie. I have named my shrimp after a friend of mine who wished me luck before a raffle (in which I won the shrimp). The shrimp is Nyx.

rich nyc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully people won't kill me. I only named 3 fish. my orange and black clownfish couple and purple firefish. The orange trump, black obama and purple hilary. the trump became a black female and was the only one that is still living :(

and my rainford goby ben goby (wan kenobi)

CanadianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I let the kids and my hubby name them based on the fish's personality. I feel it helps then connect more to the tank and it means they have to watch The fish for a while before they name them.

The names are all over the place- Capt Kirk, Otto, Luca Brasi, Barney, Marilyn Munroe, Hanna Banana etc lol

JoeIII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot our 3" red mithrax crab "pinchy" and our pistol shrimp "clicky"

all our hermits are named "crabby friend" by the little one

leCardneaux

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We name our fish! We have a few tanks set up at the moment.
Clooney - magnificent foxface
Shrugs - orange shoulder tang
Bebop - eivili's mimic tang
Jub Jub - psychedelic dragonet
Ruby - maroon clownfish
Rudy - gold nugget clownfish
Johnny - hoovens wrasse
Dora - purple tang

I'm also an art teacher at a middle school so we have a 40gal reef in the studio. I let the kids name the fish in it and the bubble tip anemone.
We have a pair of Picasso clowns names Picasso and Guernica. The tailspot blenny is named Sketch because the kids think he's a sketchy character. The nem is Lady Gaga. They also name the snails in there and they try to rename the corals all the time.

TonyGugino

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I name almost everything in my tank, besides the corals.
Paired Ocellarios - Winston and Fiona
Bar Goby - Jerry
Pink Spotted Goby - Kramer
3 Chromis - Larry, Curly, Mo

My favorite combo
Lawnmower Blenny - Benny
Hermit Crabs - The Jets

Pistol Shrimp - Peter
Emerald Crabs - Johnny and June

TonyGugino

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I name almost everything in my tank, besides the corals.
Paired Ocellarios - Winston and Fiona
Bar Goby - Jerry
Pink Spotted Goby - Kramer
3 Chromis - Larry, Curly, Mo

My favorite combo
Lawnmower Blenny - Benny
Hermit Crabs - The Jets

Pistol Shrimp - Peter
Emerald Crabs - Johnny and June

J.R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not all of our fish but some of them. Mostly has to do with events or how we got them. Like our red tail triggers name is Biff, and that is because he picked on our goby when we got him. Well we named the goby 'goby mcfly'... and we've had goby Mcfly the 2nd and 3rd, haven't had much luck with them. Our blue hippo tangs name is spike, because when we got him he was a bit banged up and you could see the little spikes coming out of where his fins would normally be.

Will most likely name them all eventually, I just don't want to get too attached til they are around for awhile.

Gordonjones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prior to our recent move of 1300 + miles to a much, much smaller house we had 600 gallons (210, 175, 45 and 3@55) of salt water tanks (not counting sumps) and many, many beautiful fish. Only a few were named. Two beautiful Angels that looked and acted like thugs – Emperor Angel was Quido, Blue Ring Angel was Bubba (both knew their names) Our huge Lawnmower Blenny was Named Groucho (eyebrows), a Sleeper Banded Goby (uncatchable) known as a***ole. Then there was Lynda’s Snowflake Eels, Thelma and Louise. Sad to be out of the hobby, but life situations have a way of changing things.

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I´m convinced it is important to have a personal name on all fishes. I think it is a question of respect and responsability for life that we have to notice every animal every day to learn to see how they are. At first that they are eating and having no parasites but after a while i know them better. Individual names makes that easier.
I am a bit fantasyless so all the fishes i name their scientific species name but for those i have two or three i add some more as for exemple rollandi broken tail (fin) or irides male + little female and big female.
I see clearly that species like Chromis or Anthias has a worse survival rate by me.

Joseph Pagnotta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Niger trigger way back when I had a FLOWR tank. My favorite fish hands down. So much fun to watch. He (or she) would move small rocks around the tank. I just named him "Mr. T". I see you have your's in a reef. Does he pick on things?

Nope. Not one Bit. I know I am lucky, but Tyrone Has been a Model Reef Citizen. Keep in mind I got him 3 years ago, so that Hood is His. Picks on rubble rock, thinks he is a Front End Loader. Lol

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Triggers are awesome like that. On the reef, too; very interactive. They're usually fun, but not always.

Years ago, when I first started diving overseas, I went to a couple of places in Fiji for shore diving. I'd been an aquarist and knew the relevant fish species, but didn't know about everything I might encounter on a reef. So I'm doing a dive, just me and the divemaster (it was off-season), and I see this huge triggerfish a little distance away. Wow!, I think as I start swimming towards it. It eyes me, turns and charges! Just a mad dash straight at me, mouth open. I was so shocked, all I did was wave my hands and legs and blow a lot of bubbles, but that was enough; it turned at the last second and swam away. Whew.

When I got back to land, nearly the first thing I did after stowing my gear was get out the books and look up that fish. Trigger experts here will already know that it was the Titan Triggerfish.

the-titan-triggerfish-a-voracious-predator-being-cleaned-by-a-cleaner-wrasse-at-over-800000-square-kilometres-a-pitcairn-island-no-take-marine-reserve-would-be-over-three-times-the-area.jpg

This monster is huge, up to around 3 feet long, and can be very aggressive, especially during breeding season. The book that I found it in, had a photo with a caption indicating that all three authors of the book had been bitten by this fish. Yes it can draw blood, or leave a bad bruise through a wetsuit. This fish has been known to break the glass of divers' masks. I've personally learned to give them a wide berth, but occasionally have come upon one suddenly, say when coming up over a reef crest, and man, that really increases my air consumption, staying clear of it. There are certain dive destinations that are pretty much off limits at certain times of the year, due to the breeding activities of Titans. I've been diving many places in the world, been in the water with countless sharks including great whites, but nothing I've encountered makes me as nervous as a Titan Triggerfish.

Edit: If this fish had a wallet, it would say Bad M***** F***** on it. His name should be Jules.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back