Votes: 328 56.5%

• Total voters

Khackman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK. Here goes. I am a high school Zoology instructor that teaches a college level course. In my 125 reef tank, I have always kept a similar collection of fish- Long before Finding Nemo came out, I developed faves that I've always had. I'm assuming the species in Finding Nemo were used by the producers because they were popular aquarium species. At any rate, I almost always have a Yellow Tang; Hippo Tang; an Ocellaris Clown, and a Royal Gramma, in addition to all of the others. Their names? I have no choice. My students name everything in my room (19 tanks!) no matter what I do. So I have Bubbles, the Yellow Tang; Dory, the Hippo Tang; Coral, the Ocellaris Clownfish, (I refuse to let them call her Nemo. She is the only one I have, so as long as I have had it, I am assuming the gender to be female), and Gurgle, the Royal Gramma. They try to name my Foxface after Gill. I always have to point out that gill is a Moorish Idol, NOT a Foxface! Some always question the name for Gurgle. Gurgle is never named in the movie itself, but is identified in the credits when the actor, Austin Pendleton is given credit for the voiceover work. One would have to be a real movie geek to know that. Now, I have been uncovered as a closet movie geek. However, NOT one that likes Finding Nemo. I had to take my daughters, and just knew the actor's voice.

As for the 19 tanks, before you ask. I have 9 that are set up with Mississippi native freshwater fishes; 3 salt; (One 125 reef and two 75G predator tanks), and the other seven are various turtles; frogs (including a 55G poison dart frog ecosystem!), amphiumae, and the like. For study purposes, I have one African Lungfish, which is my only freshwater exotic.

flsalty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK. Here goes. I am a high school Zoology instructor that teaches a college level course. In my 125 reef tank, I have always kept a similar collection of fish- Long before Finding Nemo came out, I developed faves that I've always had. I'm assuming the species in Finding Nemo were used by the producers because they were popular aquarium species. At any rate, I almost always have a Yellow Tang; Hippo Tang; an Ocellaris Clown, and a Royal Gramma, in addition to all of the others. Their names? I have no choice. My students name everything in my room (19 tanks!) no matter what I do. So I have Bubbles, the Yellow Tang; Dory, the Hippo Tang; Coral, the Ocellaris Clownfish, (I refuse to let them call her Nemo. She is the only one I have, so as long as I have had it, I am assuming the gender to be female), and Gurgle, the Royal Gramma. They try to name my Foxface after Gill. I always have to point out that gill is a Moorish Idol, NOT a Foxface! Some always question the name for Gurgle. Gurgle is never named in the movie itself, but is identified in the credits when the actor, Austin Pendleton is given credit for the voiceover work. One would have to be a real movie geek to know that. Now, I have been uncovered as a closet movie geek. However, NOT one that likes Finding Nemo. I had to take my daughters, and just knew the actor's voice.

As for the 19 tanks, before you ask. I have 9 that are set up with Mississippi native freshwater fishes; 3 salt; (One 125 reef and two 75G predator tanks), and the other seven are various turtles; frogs (including a 55G poison dart frog ecosystem!), amphiumae, and the like. For study purposes, I have one African Lungfish, which is my only freshwater exotic.
That sounds like my first apartment...lol

twobytwo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only named a couple of my fish. Harlequin Tusk is Harley, and Rabbitfish is Roger (Roger Rabbitfish).

dgragg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I typically don’t name anything. My friend loves to name them. But she only names the ones she really likes. Below is a list of what she’s named.
Maddy – Mandarin Goby
Ziggy – Convict Tang
Dez – Purple Tang
Spike – Line Spot Wrasse
Le Pew – Cleaner Shrimp
007 – Tuxedo Urchin
Unicorn Poop – Splatter Paint Chalice

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I answered "Yes" but it's my children that name them. However, I do use those names in conversation, so...guilty.

ReefinND

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anthias Trio - Bipity, Bopity, and Boo
Bonsai Coral Beauty - Bite size
Royal Gramma - Jelly Bean
Clown fish - Orca and Jaws
Two Spot Bristletooth tang - Dusk
Yellowtail Damsel - Lewis
Spingeri Dottyback - Not named yet
Blue linkia starfish - Darwin

harley3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not but my 10 year old daughter and wife do. The kiddo just named our Scarlet King Snake Milkyway. ;Vomit

lou dog420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes
Yellow tang - poopy
Magnificent foxface - fred
Two clown fish - pebbles and peewee
Blue damsel - Kevin
Purple dottyback - pinky
Three lyretail anthias - bob, ziggy, Damian
Cleaner shrimp - deedee
Rose bubble anemone - medusa

Shon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Goby Clingfish - PacMan

Maroon Clown - Little Dude (female passed away last year so he is now a she)

Blue Hippo - Pig (Eats alot.. and eats other fishes poop, seriously, that is disgusting.)

Yellowtail Damsel - Wimpy (Always acts scared, always runs to a rock and darkens when anything comes near it even the shrimp)

2 Chromis - The Goons (always pushing other fish out of the way with their heads just to swim away after the target moves)

Lawnmower Blenny - Karl (mmhmm, Slingblade)

Skunk Cleaner(#2) - (new addition, no name)

Blue Tux Urchin - Krite (Any guess why?)

Pea Crab - Joe (Where did you come from, where did you go? Gone for a month, appear in the corner. Gone. Week later hanging on a rock. Next day, gone for another week to come out again.)

Emerald Crab - (No name yet, only see it's claw poke out of rocks at feeding time. Shady character.)

Thinstripe Hermit - Nemo (The 1961 Mysterious Island movie, not Pixar, supposed to grow into a giant crab. Nemo bred animals to be larger and.. nevermind; the name does mess with people though since a clownfish is in there.)

Ryanbrs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I name them after my friends based on personalities : )

My friends seem to attach to them that way as well LOL

Slarti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was good reading and some very creative names, laughed out loud at a few! Ours all end up with names over time based on their character...well most anyway!

The Ocellaris clown had the very original name of Nemo...cool name don't you think? Hey, don't judge, he was my very first fish and I had no other choice.
His black and white mate...just as original...Bemo. I could really not come up with anything better at the time.
My bi-colour blenny was KGB as he was forever investigating and/or hiding behind some rocks dartin and out.
Pyjama Cardinal, what else then PJ
My damsels were just D1 and D2

JSchwarz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My brother named my first hairy mushroom Carl. Carl split, so now I'm not sure which one is Carl, and it's only going to get worse.

badd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fox face=spike
Kole tang=ruby
Ywg/pistol=bonnie and clide
Clowns=lucy and linous
Cleaner goby=Clarence
Wrass=wally
Big eyed squirrel=Sandy
Spot tail blenny=benny

nvert

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've kept a heavily stocked 120g but only three fish have been named in the past 15 years. A very vicious maroon clown I've had since 2004 is named Queen ***** cause she always bites me and draws blood when I work in the tank. Recently, I added a white tail bristletooth tang that has the nickname Cracker (I know, but a dear friend came up with it). The other named fish is Curtis, an orange spotted goby I no longer have, named also by a friend of mine.

OREGONIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clown pair named omen (nemo backwards) and the other is ratchet.
Yellow clown goby’s name is squat.
Bi color blenney is Stewart.
Leopard wrasse is copper
Watchman goby is ed and pistol shrimp is alan, their names are a joke from work.
Blood red fire shrimp is shortcake.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 13 46.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • None.

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 7.1%
Back