Poll: Do you run an airstone/bubbler in your system full time?

Do you run an airstone/bubbler full time? Where is it positioned?

• Yes - In the display

Votes: 11 1.8%
  • Yes - In the sump/refugium

Votes: 35 5.8%
  • Yes - In the skimmer

Votes: 31 5.1%
  • No - I don't run an airstone full time

Votes: 511 84.5%
  • Other (Discuss in thread)

Votes: 17 2.8%

• Total voters

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was a discussion over the weekend regarding the use running an airstone/bubbler full time in your aquarium. The discussion revolved around oxygen/gas exchange and stability of pH. It was suggested a poll was created to determine how many actually utilize an airstone full time in their systems.

So, let us know if you do. If you do, let us know if you run it in your display or your sump/refugium. I've added the skimmer as an option as well as there are some skimmers that utilize an airstone.

Please feel free to discuss your reasoning for utilizing an airstone in the thread.

Rcpilot

Addicted to LPS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm returning to the hobby after several years away. Some things have changed a lot. Some things have stayed pretty much the same. This topic has me confused.

People are doing their best to avoid microbubbles in their sumps and plumbing -- and then turn around and drop an airstone and pump into the system somewhere, to help with o2 levels and pH?

Seems like 1 step forward and 3 steps backwards.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes I do, Also my sump I put the baffles opposite (under over under ) I was trying to get an upwelling effect . I ended up with a stagnent water surfaces in the ref & return. This forms a scum that I have to carefully pull off by laying a sheet of paper towel on the surface. So I think I will try an airstone in each just to disrupt the water surface .

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run an air pump on my octopus tank because it's covered and doesn't have a sump. But not on my reef.

Deiblerj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a small airstone in my QT under a bag of media just to get some better flow. The fish love swimming through it!

For my DT I only use a couple wavemakers and my HOB filter for flow/movement.

I will say running the airstone makes all sorts of a salt creep mess!

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was a discussion over the weekend regarding the use running an airstone/bubbler full time in your aquarium. The discussion revolved around oxygen/gas exchange and stability of pH. It was suggested a poll was created to determine how many actually utilize an airstone full time in their systems.

So, let us know if you do. If you do, let us know if you run it in your display or your sump/refugium. I've added the skimmer as an option as well as there are some skimmers that utilize an airstone.

Please feel free to discuss your reasoning for utilizing an airstone in the thread.

A skimmer is a full time bubbler lol.

That's all I use.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No....really no need. If I am remembering correctly, it was determined that there is really no benefit from one small airstone regarding PH. Maybe if you had a Pico tank it would help with water movement I guess but then you have to deal with salt creep.

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. I think the survey question was confusing. If everyone who runs a skimmer selected "Yes - In the skimmer", it would have almost all the votes.

Agreed the question was posed weirdly, I clicked no bubbler however my skimmer is on 24/7 and couldnt imagine an air stone would put out any comparison to that amount of bubblage.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I clicked "other" as well. If the skimmer counts, and in this context I don't think it does, then I would have to go for 24/7/365.

I keep several battery air pumps on hand for the infrequent power outages that happen around here. They are invaluable then. Otherwise, the answer is no. Why would I want to increase the amount of salt creep anywhere near my tank?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 28 60.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back