Votes: 20 2.7%

• Total voters

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how do you go about feeding your coral? Are you using something as simple as a turkey baster you stole from the kitchen drawer or did you purchase a specific tool to feed your coral? Or do you even directly feed your coral?

Let's see how you're handling your coral feeding. Multiple choices are allowed if you feed in different manners for different corals - but please explain in the thread.

Duraticate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It all depends on what i feed. I use fish food pellets and flakes sometimes and use my fingers to drop on the corals. I use a syringe with powder foods soaked in water.

C-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a turkey baster I use for feeding both fish and corals, and then for a thick roids mixture like a paste I'll use a 5 ml syringe without the tip. Sometimes I'll just throw in some roids or polyp booster or phyto or whatever.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rarely feed just the corals. Maybe I should more. Sometimes I will use a large syringe with the tip widened to spot feed. Or make a small mix of fish roe,smashed ocean krill & some red juice from the bottom of the food container.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how do you go about feeding your coral? Are you using something as simple as a turkey baster you stole from the kitchen drawer or did you purchase a specific tool to feed your coral? Or do you even directly feed your coral?

Let's see how you're handling your coral feeding. Multiple choices are allowed if you feed in different manners for different corals - but please explain in the thread.
I use dosing pumps on a seconds infinite timer

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just broadcast feed.

I had some friends who would feed by putting the coral food into the return chamber so that it would come through the return outlet. It was a neat idea. They did the same thing with cubes of frozen food...as it would thaw it was distributed up through the return.

ScubaShane

MENTAL REEF DISORDER!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use my Neptune Apex in Feed Mode to turn my return pump and skimmer off for 10 minutes and broadcast feed Reef Roids by a plastic Reef2Reef cup I got from Reef-A-Palooza that I dedicated for feeding.

@Terence
@Polyplab
@revhtree

Last edited:

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I through it and let's the pumps feed the coral .

C-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm suprised that so few people spot feed, or even broadcast feed. I have found spot feeding hugely increases growth, especially for euphyllia, LPS and softies, and everyone benefits from broadcast feeding for sure.

I broadcast Roids twice a week, dose Polyp booster 2-3 times a week, dose phyto every other day, spot feed about twice a week with Roids, polyp booster, phyto, and mysis, and a mixture of fresh seafood. The corals also will get bits and pieces when I feed the fish daily with seafood, greens and mysis mixtures.

ParsedOut

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found a 24" clear acrylic tube from the LFS, don't remember the size but it fits perfectly into a 3" section of standard flexible airline hose and that plugs into the end of a 5ml syringe. Kind of my ghetto version of Julian's thing. Works great for spot feeding mysis and reef roids while keeping my hands dry.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a set of these -
https://www.ebay.com/itm/HUAHA-6-Pcs-Dispensing-Needle-14G-x-10-with-30ml-Syringe-Blunt-Tip-Luer-Lock/222872129610?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

then follow Billy Pipes suggestion with Reef Roids -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rrv-GNcSEy4

I turn off pumps and powerheads for 10 mins, then feed each coral by gently spraying a light layer over each using syringe. My duncans fold up like anemones for 5 mins. My torch has tripled in size over 2 months, my monti has doubled in size in same time and everything else has had better color and growth. I use to add reef roids to auto fish feeder but I'm finding they were getting little to nothing and were almost stagnant.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Small solo cup container- I mix up reef roids or Gonipower and slowly add into flow at lights out every other night suspended into tank.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back