Poll: How long did it take your nem to settle down?

How long it took your nem to settle down?

• < 1 Week

Votes: 157 55.9%
  • < 1 Month

Votes: 54 19.2%
  • < 2 Months

Votes: 15 5.3%
  • <3 Months

Votes: 5 1.8%
  • > 3 Months

Votes: 9 3.2%
  • It never has!

Votes: 41 14.6%

• Total voters

Marie7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put my new memo in and displace the one that was hosted my anemone, he's been there since day 1. I had to move my first nemo to the bank tank and buy him an anemone to keep him happy too. Tomato clown are very well known too for hosting good anemones.

Grimm_Medic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every nem has a mind of its own. I have one rbta that has not moved off the rock it's came in on, meanwhile another continuously takes laps around the tank on a near weekly basis.

OP
OP
potatocouch

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The vote so far saying Nem settles really well!!! My one must be one of the kind.

83 of your nems act like corals day 1 or few days after never move.

OP
OP
potatocouch

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This question is why I never had a Nem.. Too many SPS in too confined of a space to trust a Nem!

I do believe that Nem need its dedicated tank, the same how Predator tank is; there is too much of a risk to have them combined in mixed reef system.

Although majority of the votes (so far) says otherwise (as in, they stay there from early days and never move), I still think dedicated tank is a necessary.

Thanks for adding the option "It never has!" :)

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do believe that Nem need its dedicated tank, the same how Predator tank is; there is too much of a risk to have them combined in mixed reef system.
:)

I would agree w/ this statement when it comes to BTA's, but if you choose the right species of anemone and plan properly, scape properly, it's not really difficult to have anemone's in a mixed reef, I always do.

This is just one of my tanks, had a H. crispa at one end, M. doreensis at the other.
I had both of these in my 180g 5 and a half years w/ no issues at all, it can be done.

Last edited:

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And this is my present tank, 120g, and w/ this tank I scaped an island for a magnifica.

As I mentioned before, if you give a mag a perch up high, they will stay up high so they can get max light.
This is typical of mags.

Grimm_Medic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Although majority of the votes (so far) says otherwise (as in, they stay there from early days and never move), I still think dedicated tank is a necessary.

Thanks for adding the option "It never has!" :)

I have to agree, unless you are prepared to potentially lose corals a dedicated tank is the way to go. That's the reasoning behind my nem only tank at least.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One rose bta I put into a hole 9 months ago, and it hasn't moved from it for a second, while tripling in size. :)

So, I mentioned this only 5 days ago, right? So last night, this RBTA that has never moved in 9 months, starts moving out of his hole. Great. Of course it is! This could be trouble. Maybe I can gently work it loose and transfer it to the new tank. Nope, its foot is really solidly attached. Oh well, I guess we'll see where it winds up, hopefully it won't do too much damage on the way there. This morning, I find:

There was still a thin band of tissue connecting them, which vanished in a couple more hours.

That poor clown is so confused. The BTA also had two anemone crabs, who grudgingly shared it, and now no longer have to. :)

Last edited:

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(website acting weird)

adam finley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first I had moved quite a bit usually once a week for a couple of months. Then it finally kinda settled in a small area. Then one day after a big water change he started to move again and attached to the bottom of the glass. Well I decided to let him be and the next day found he decided to go through my power head. What a mess that was. I have one now and have been pretty lucky in its only moved a few times. I think now that it hosts my clown it’s pretty content. It does occasionally sink into the rock work if I do a water change and tick it off lol. They can definitely be temperamental over the smallest of changes around them.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 65 34.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back