Poll: How often do you do water changes?

how often do you do water changes?

• Total voters

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As of late, ALMOST NEVER!!! I installed, and, was using a AWC system. As my tank settled I realized that I did not need to use the AWC now. In fact I needed to allow it to stay a little bit dirtier. I only recently did a 25 percent water change because I had to drop the water level down to below the return bulkheads so I could totally redo my returns.

N03 13.7 and P04 at .07 as of yesterday.

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm doing 10-15% water changes weekly in my main tank right now, but that's mainly for nutrient control until I get my fuge and skimmer dialed back in to keep them stable. Since I'm running the Reef Moonshiner's method, I'm replenishing trace elements by dosing so eventually I'm hoping to no longer need water changes.

In my new 10 gallon bedroom build I'm just playing it by ear. Right now nutrients are pretty stable and the bioload is so light I'm not needing weekly water changes. I'll probably end up doing 25% every 3-4 weeks depending on nutrient levels.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5 gallons, about every week in my 125 + 40 breeder sump (about 4%).

I don't do it for reduction in nitrate or phosphate, as they always read about zero. I do it to siphon out algae, and because my corals always look a little better afterword...guessing trace element related, but who knows.

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
45-50% weekly. Easy to turn that volume of water over in a small tank and I use locally collected natural seawater so it's not costly and the livestock responds well. The challenge has been making sure I feed enough to keep nutrients from zeroing out, but I've got it dialed in pretty good now.

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
45-50% weekly. Easy to turn that volume of water over in a small tank and I use locally collected natural seawater so it's not costly and the livestock responds well. The challenge has been making sure I feed enough to keep nutrients from zeroing out, but I've got it dialed in pretty good now.
This doesn’t count ;).

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted "weekly". That is my intent. Some months I do well. Some not. As the tank matures, it seems like skipping a week doesn't hurt... so I tell myself.

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do a 35 to 40% water change every six months in conjunction with a thorough sandbed cleaning. I dose Essential Elements to keep my traces up to snuff in my 125 mixed reef.

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I change out 15 gallons once weekly on my 75 gallon, so roughly a 20% water change. Hasn't failed me on any of my previous tanks, this tank, or on the wife's fluval evo.

tigre44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I marked weekly. I think it it is especially important when you have sand or crushed coral bottom. I vacuum the bottom as much as I can.

Aquaman11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm retired so weekly is no longer the chore it used to be when myy time was more limited. It actually helps me pay closer attention to anything going on in the tank.

M Stein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of times a year.
I'll occasionally decided it's time for a water change and change a third of the water but usually that has a destabilizing effect on my alk levels.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back