POLL: How often do you feed your fish and more?

How often do you feed your fish?

• 1 Time daily

Votes: 351 45.2%
  • 2 Times daily

Votes: 267 34.4%
  • 3 Times daily

Votes: 91 11.7%
  • 4 or more times daily

Votes: 51 6.6%
  • Other; Please explain in a post

Votes: 17 2.2%

• Total voters

Jizu Puentes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1.I feed twice a day. My blend is shown in the pic below. I thaw it all in a bowl and freeze the mix in the packets the food came out of. Before feeding I also add flakes or pellets to a thawed cube.
IMG_20170201_191228.jpg

3. 11 fish in 135
3 fish in 110
2 fish in 40 gallon frag tank

Last edited:

alten78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually 2x a day, 1 minimum if im working a long day. Used to feed flakes and pellets but have gone to more quality meaty foods that also help the coral. Live black worms daily, then rotate sliced clams, rods food, and pe Mysis

2x o.perc, 2x bangaii cardinal, orchid dottyback, tomini tang, foxface rabbit, copper band butterfly

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my crew 2-3 times a day. Or a dozen times a day. Depends how you define "a feeding".

I use two rotations of frozen food - one is about eight different foods that come in "cubes", the other is four different "flats" of LRS and Rod's Food. In the morning, I'll take one cube of whatever's at the front of the rotation, and break off about a cube's worth of whichever flat is up front, then move them to the back of their respective cycle. One day, it might be Rod's and calanus, the next feeding could be LRS' Herbivore Frenzy and Hikari's angelfish formula. The frozen stuff goes into a plastic tumbler half full of RO/DI, and gets swirled around a bit, then left to thaw while I go take a shower. After the shower, I'll pour a splash of food into the tank and go get dressed. I'll portion out food like that twice more before leaving for work.

If I'm home during the day, I'll drop in some freeze-dried Cyclopeez (Holy smokes! One of my LFS had _Cyclopeez_ in their freezer today!), wait a half hour or so and drop in some pellets, and in another half hour to an hour, a small pinch of flake. It's almost as much to give the fish something to do as it is to provide nutrition.

In the evening, the same as the morning - a cube and a cube's worth of blended food in RO/DI, though I often add garlic in the evenings. (I'm trying to tempt a reluctant parrotfish...) Four to six "doses" of food go into the spillway of my HOB 'fuge to flow out into the water column over the next several hours. Many small "feedings" over the course of the day, and most of my fish seem to get along with it.

A couple of times a week, there'll be a treat - a half-sheet of nori, or a littleneck clam on the half shell, left in the tank before I head out to work.

~Bruce

TbyZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. How often do you feed?
2. What types of food do you feed?
3. How many fish do you have?

1. Mostly once a day.
2. Mostly nori, also misis shrimp, Marine Green frozen cube blend, & fresh mussel from the fish market, guts n all,,,,, Mmmmmmmmmmmmm,,,,,,,guts.
3. Vlamingii Tang, two blue Tangs, one yellow Tang, Flame Angel & one green chromis.

GXPKY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed frozen 1 day and Nori the next and alternate...and coral food daily

trido

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I make my own food. At 9:00, 12:00 and 3:00 my Apex feed pellets with one rotation. At 4:30 I feed Nori strips to the Tangs and the wrasses attack it with fervor. At 8:00 P.M. I thaw some DIY blend in a cup of RO and the tank gets two full turkey baster loads of meat over the course of an hour. Lights out at 9:00 P.M. As I'm getting ready for work around 6:30 A.M the tank gets one and a half basters full of DIY food thawed from the night before for the LPS and any fish that might be up with the lunar phase. The tank gets fed about eight times in a 24 hour period unless I'm out of town. :)

joro

That Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In general, I feed once per day to both our tanks and it's a mix of the various LRS products as well as individual components (e.g. PE Mysis, Brine, Coral Gumbo, etc). Outside of the once a day feeding, the larger tank always gets a fresh clip of seaweed in the morning (green and purple) as well as the occasional pellets when I walk downstairs ;)

Ibn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1x pellets daily during the weekdays. 3x pellets during the weekend (tank is at work).

In addition, daily feeding includes:
feeding_labeled_022417.jpg

The silverside is weekly for the golden dwarf moray.

KYReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75 gallon:
3 times via autofeeder - flakes/Hikari seaweed pellets,
1-2 times per day - frozen LRS Reef Frenzy or Fish Frenzy or mysis soaked in Selcon,
1-2 times per day - cut up and soaked nori (spoiled Tang, wants his dinner cut up for him :*)
1-2 times per week coral food - Reef Chili or Reef Roids, Daily Reef Energy A,B

Fish: Yellow Tang, Royal Gramma, Maroon Clown, Six-line Wrasse,

42 gallon:
3 times per day - frozen LRS Reef Frenzy or Fish Frenzy or mysis soaked in Selcon,
1 per day - flake food
1-2 times per week coral food - Reef Chili or Reef Roids
Daily Reef Energy A,B

Fish: Tomato Clown, Watchman Goby, Banggai Cardinal, Royal Gramma, Yellow Coris Wrasse

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once a day with live blackworms, clams, mysis and some LRS food. I also feed live new born brine shrimp every day in a feeder that lasts a few hours. The baby brine are for the bluestripe pipefish, ruby red drgonettes, mandarins and purple anthius. I have about 22 fish.

Zero Nitrates

I love chalices
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed every other day. I try to feed a variety of foods but not all at once. So one feeding might be oyster feast with Larrys mixed in, the next might be krill and a sheet of nori, etc..

The foods I use are formula two pellets, chlorella flakes, Larrys, rods, krill, oyster feast, nori sheets.

theblackpearl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have three tangs.......7 inch blue hippo, 6 inch naso, & a 4 inch yellow tang
Feed schedule
Monday: LRZ reef frenzy
Tuesday: Whole sheet of dry seaweed
Wednesday:LRZ reef frenzy
Thursday:Whole sheet of dry seaweed
Friday:LRZ reef frenzy
Saturday:Whole sheet of dry seaweed
Sunday: Encouraged fasting

I try to encourage my tangs to "pick" rocks and the glass

GXPKY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have three tangs.......7 inch blue hippo, 6 inch naso, & a 4 inch yellow tang
Feed schedule
Monday: LRZ reef frenzy
Tuesday: Whole sheet of dry seaweed
Wednesday:LRZ reef frenzy
Thursday:Whole sheet of dry seaweed
Friday:LRZ reef frenzy
Saturday:Whole sheet of dry seaweed
Sunday: Encouraged fasting

I try to encourage my tangs to "pick" rocks and the glass
That is basically my exact schedule including food choices...I skip days occasionally as well, prefer the fish graze otherwise I find they wait for the buffet rather than eat the salad that grows on the rocks.

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have thirteen fish with three more about to escape QT. I feed mysis, brine, plankton, cyclops, chopped squid, fish eggs, blood worms, mussel, krill, super carnivore mix, coral cuisine, prime reef, formula one, nori, and a variety of pellets and flakes. I usually feed 2-3 times per day.

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. How often do you feed? **I feed once a day on week days and twice a day on weekends.
2. What types of food do you feed? ** I feed reef frenzy or roe or cyclopeeze or mysis to the fish. the coral get fed probably 2x per week and I do either reef roids or mysis and roe for the bigger polyped things.
3. How many fish do you have? In one tank I have a 2" clown, a 2" 6-line wrasse and a 3" orchid dottyback. Another I have a midas blenny and a dispar anthia. The small tank I have a talbots damsel.

Side note: Ive been looking for something for the blenny to munch on all day like a sheet of algae or something but can never get enough info about it :(

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. How often do you feed? **I feed once a day on week days and twice a day on weekends.
2. What types of food do you feed? ** I feed reef frenzy or roe or cyclopeeze or mysis to the fish. the coral get fed probably 2x per week and I do either reef roids or mysis and roe for the bigger polyped things.
3. How many fish do you have? In one tank I have a 2" clown, a 2" 6-line wrasse and a 3" orchid dottyback. Another I have a midas blenny and a dispar anthia. The small tank I have a talbots damsel.

Side note: Ive been looking for something for the blenny to munch on all day like a sheet of algae or something but can never get enough info about it :(
I get my nori from the seafood department in the local supermarket. I can get twice the about for something like $2.50. I cut the sheets up and put them in an algae clip. You can also order it off of Amazon.

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get my nori from the seafood department in the local supermarket. I can get twice the about for something like $2.50. I cut the sheets up and put them in an algae clip. You can also order it off of Amazon.
Ive heard nori is to fish how fast food is to people...is that true?

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed twice a day, Formula 1 or 2 in the am and mysis/LRS in the pm. Nori 2x week.
Flame Wrasse
Pylei Wrasse
Yellow Tailed Tamarin
Linespot Flasher
2x Ornate Leopard Wrasses
Radiant Wrasse
Sailfin Wrasse
Regal Angel
Flame Tang
Blue Throat Trigger
Clown Fish

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 19.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 39 50.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.3%
Back