How often do your fish fight?

• Total voters

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often do your fish fight? Depending on the types of fish you keep, the frequency of disputes changes, along with other factors such as tank size. Fight is defined as anything from chasing around, fin nipping, or any other kinds of aggression.
Never (and I mean never). They either work it out when first introduced, or one of the two is either killed outright or forced out of the tank.

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really fighting, but I have a chromis that thinks he's a tough guy and a six-line wrasse and tailspot blenny that don't put up with his 'tude. Never have any nipping, just flashing and open mouths. It's a fish beauty contest :rolleyes:

nicksreefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its never for me!

Could be thanks to lady luck or a naturally non aggressive stocking selection (lists below) or wild card... the super high oestrogen levels in London tap water balancing out the fishy testosterone :p

All tanks have been stocked over a period of 8 months one fish at a time about 4 weeks apart (bar the clown pairs)

Display tank:
Yellow teardrop butterflly
Regal tang (hippo tang for those in the US)
Royal Gramma
Black ice snowflake clownfish (mated pair)
Aiptasia eating filefish
Starry Blenny
Red Scooter Blenny/dragonet

Lagoon tank:
Foxface
Mimic filefish
Sailfin tang
Picasso clownfish (mated pair)
Long fin checker hawk

Nano cube:
Red sea clown fish (mated pair)
pink scooter blenny
(never was going to be a problem in the nano was there:D)

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often do your fish fight? Depending on the types of fish you keep, the frequency of disputes changes, along with other factors such as tank size. Fight is defined as anything from chasing around, fin nipping, or any other kinds of aggression.
Never. I have a pair of clowns, paired pj cardinals, diamond goby (doesnt care what anyone does, he even let me pet him), ywg who is the size of a quarter in length, and a tomini tang who only shows her face at night. The tomini tang has a crush on my diamond goby, follows him around ;Facepalm

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My massive population of exactly TWO fish NEVER fight and, in fact, are best buds.
1 small clown and 1 bicolor blenny

...except, when I first switched to BLUE LEDs (to get ready to try a couple of soft corals) -- they started attacking each other!!!

Went back to white and slowly starting to gradually get some blue in there and now all's well again.

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its never for me!

Could be thanks to lady luck or a naturally non aggressive stocking selection (lists below) or wild card... the super high oestrogen levels in London tap water balancing out the fishy testosterone :p

All tanks have been stocked over a period of 8 months one fish at a time about 4 weeks apart (bar the clown pairs)

Display tank:
Royal Gramma
Aiptasia eating filefish
Starry Blenny

Lagoon tank:
Foxface
Mimic filefish
Sailfin tang
Long fin checker hawk

Nano cube:
pink scooter blenny
I think I need to start buying some of that London tap water.
My massive population of exactly TWO fish NEVER fight and, in fact, are best buds.
1 small clown and 1 bicolor blenny

...except, when I first switched to BLUE LEDs (to get ready to try a couple of soft corals) -- they started attacking each other!!!

Went back to white and slowly starting to gradually get some blue in there and now all's well again.
that’s crazy. Never heard of such a thing

nicksreefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I need to start buying some of that London tap water.

that’s crazy. Never heard of such a thing
Dont know where in the world you are but... to make your own take sewer water run it through a coffee filter paper with holes in it, add then a large spoon of limescale and a contraceptive pill your favourite salt mix and bingo you've got the london mix :p ;)

kboogie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fish used to fight throughout the day between my Lyretail Anthias pair, Purple Tang, Hippo Tang, Malenarus Wrasse, and my Majestic Angel, someone is fighting with someone else. My Harlequin Tusk, Flame Hawk, black Ocelaris, and Fox Face are the only fish who don't fight.

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Voted other. I have 7 Chromis and they constantly try to assert their pecking order. The chromis also spray all the time. when the male guards his eggs, he attacks everyone who come near, the hyppo tang, the foxface, the female chromiis or who ever. Other than that, they all pretty much know their place and do not fight. The hierarchy has been decided very promptly. My most peaceful one is the 6 line wrasse, she just mind her own business and never get involved with anyone.

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I said hardly ever, but I suppose chasing each other around the tank counts as fighting. In that case, my chromies chase each other occasionally. The fish seem to school together mostly with some solo exploration here and there. Even the Cardinal gets in on the schooling action.

They are well fed and they have plenty of spots for them to claim as their spot so I don’t suppose there is much of a reason to fight.

The clowns don’t like it when the snails enough on their little corner of the tank. They swim next to the snails taking turns booping them while the other checks on their little cave.

Roger D

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its never for me!

Display tank:
Royal Gramma
Aiptasia eating filefish
Starry Blenny

Lagoon tank:
Foxface
Mimic filefish
Sailfin tang
Long fin checker hawk

Nano cube:
pink scooter blenny
I've got a mimic that's turning brown, an emperor angle also just changing color and a sailfin. They sailfin is the fighter and about the same size now I'm thinking about putting my bigger foxface in to keep peace. It's a 180. Think there's any chance that would work?

LgTas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 60 gal DT stock list has all the hallmarks of a fight club: 2 x Azure damsels, orchid dottyback, pair black clowns, red spot blenny, bangaii and yellow striped cardinal yet I only ever see the blenny once every few days darting at others at food time.

Suspect it's because I have a good amount of rock work with many bolt holes and line of sight breaks.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Knock on wood I have never had any fights in all my years of keeping fish (freshwater and now saltwater). That would be way too much stress for me if it happened all the time between certain fish. All of my fish have been model citizens (or aquazens in this case). They have been the perfect example of a community tank (and now I probably jinxed myself). :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back