How often do your fish fight?

• Total voters

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often do your fish fight? Depending on the types of fish you keep, the frequency of disputes changes, along with other factors such as tank size. Fight is defined as anything from chasing around, fin nipping, or any other kinds of aggression.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only observe chasing once every few days, but it probably happens multiple times a day. It's nothing too aggressive either, but my purple tang will occasionally chase my tomini tang, and my tomini tang will occasionally chase my lawnmower blenny.
I've never seen any nipping or tail slapping.

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is defiantly a hierarchy, especially amongst my tangs and angels. My Purple tang was bullied by the Scopas tang and basically made to hide in a cave for about 4-5 months. He only came out to eat. One day the tables turn and the Purple tang became the aggressor making the Scopas hide for several weeks. Now they seem to get along but there is defiantly a hierarchy.

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is defiantly a hierarchy, especially amongst my tangs and angels. My Purple tang was bullied by the Scopas tang and basically made to hide in a cave for about 4-5 months. He only came out to eat. One day the tables turn and the Purple tang became the aggressor making the Scopas hide for several weeks. Now they seem to get along but there is defiantly a hierarchy.
Interesting story. My fish are very weird. I have a Biocube 32 and I have a Midas Blenny and a Royal Gramma in there as of now. Let's just say they don't like each other. I think it's because there's not enough perching room in the tank. I see chasing almost everyday and the occasional fin nip on the gramma every few weeks/month. For most of the day, they mind their own business but there's a hierarchy as well. For instance, the royal gramma won't get in the Midas' way when he's swimming or eating. I'm considering replacing them both. I think deep down it is the grammas fault but he always comes off innocent. I returned two clowns because it came across like the gramma was getting bullied but I believe deep down it's something to do with the gramma.

Mflores888

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Define fight.

Like do they aggressively attack each other and hurt the other fish? Or more like simple pushing them away showing dominance but not really escalating?

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 3 angels bicker like brothers and my Gem tang is king of the domain and he holds everyone in line. My personifier angel toys my conspicuous and tiger angel and the moment this happened the gem tang steps in. Its pretty funny to watch.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow tang and scopas tang chase each other multiple times a day.

Emperor angelfish chases my panther grouper and orange spot rabbitfish multiple times a day. Doesn't chase the tangs.

Orange spot and panther grouper dont chase anything.

None of the behavior is lethal to the fish. Been with me years.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I dont call it fighting especially with do damage inflicted but having 13 tangs in my tang, the little circular argument over food does occur

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice poll! Just made it the poll of the day! Thank you!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have about 7 fish in a 400g so they never fight! HA!

cocoReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Years ago i had a lawnmower blenny that would perch and wait for whatever large fish would swim by, then quickly strike from behind. It would leave a mark like when they bite algae off the glass, and it would also instigate fights between the large fish (tangs and angel)
It was very funny and ive not had such a character since.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
my midas blenny became a bully to my court jester goby a few weeks after i added it. then i added a yellow coris wrasse and the aggression stopped. the blenny occasionally darts towards to goby and even the wrasse but does not nip at fins like he used to.

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my midas blenny became a bully to my court jester goby a few weeks after i added it. then i added a yellow coris wrasse and the aggression stopped. the blenny occasionally darts towards to goby and even the wrasse but does not nip at fins like he used to.
Thanks for this. I’m unsure if you read about my story above but I’m having issues with my Midas blenny being a jerk to my royal gramma. I’ll be adding a clown soon and then a wrasse later on so hopefully this may help

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thanks for this. I’m unsure if you read about my story above but I’m having issues with my Midas blenny being a jerk to my royal gramma. I’ll be adding a clown soon and then a wrasse later on so hopefully this may help
i have not read your posts on this, but i hope adding new fish curbs the aggression for you. good luck!

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 36 30.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 27.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 41 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back