Poll: Preferred DI Setup

What is your preferred DI setup? (multiple choices okay)

• Single mixed bed

Votes: 77 19.2%
  • Dual mixed bed

Votes: 132 32.9%
  • Mixed bed with Cation

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • Mixed bed with Anion

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • Triple - Mixed bed with Cation and Anion

Votes: 45 11.2%
  • Other - Explain in thread

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • I buy Premade Cartridges

Votes: 97 24.2%
  • I customized my mix based on my source water conditions

Votes: 5 1.2%
  • I did not customize my mix based on my source water conditions

Votes: 34 8.5%
  • I do not have a RODI unit

Votes: 39 9.7%

• Total voters

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Im not completely aware of every single thing that has to do with di resin, but what I've put together - its better to just pack it yourself. I feel like c02 has a better chance eating your media (when its pre packed) opposed to getting the vacuum packaged bags from brs. I Also use a dual mixed bed, you get a bit extra from a single package. So I'll fill both canisters a little more then halfway packed with foam.

Ive seen some people having problems trying the new brs prefered setup. But my di resin last a very long time, I get about 0 - 1 tds after the membrane. If I flushed my tds creep, I most likely wouldn't have to change my di resin for a very long time. Everyone should flush their tds creep if you want your di resin to last a long time. A mistake like this can somewhat make using different beds pointless if your trying to save on resin

Last edited:

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My choice of "What I prefer" isn't there. My preference is a dual single bed system with one canister having cation resin and the other anion resin.

I regenerate the resin, with the first step having to separate the two resins from a mixed resin. To simplify this first step, I attempted to set up the two canister system with individual resins. This would make regeneration very simple. I know this kind of thing works from the old Cati-Ani systems that use to be sold. Having an old two canister bracket, I gave it a try:

Dual DI Filter.JPG

Now here's the weird thing....it didn't work. I'd still get the 2 TDS coming out of this system. I scratched my head on this one and to make sure I had good individual resins, I mixed the two together, and now I was getting the expected 0 TDS. This puzzled me to no end, so I tried again, and the same result. So now I run a single mixed bed canister, but I'd prefer this two canister system. :cool:

I think this issue was covered in one of the BRS videos, something about some ions changing there charge while passing through each single stage which is why they recommend the third mixed bed as a final polish.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this issue was covered in one of the BRS videos, something about some ions changing there charge while passing through each single stage which is why they recommend the third mixed bed as a final polish.

Thanks for the heads up @JoshH , I'll have to check that out. I'm still puzzled why a friend's Cati-Ani system worked. He didn't have RO, just Cati-Ani that was simply regenerated by running hydrochloric acid and sodium hydroxide through the respective resins.

EDIT TO ADD

Found the video....Most interesting...around nine minutes there is a table comparing the various options.....thanks again @JoshH

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the heads up @JoshH , I'll have to check that out. I'm still puzzled why a friend's Cati-Ani system worked. He didn't have RO, just Cati-Ani that was simply regenerated by running hydrochloric acid and sodium hydroxide through the respective resins.

EDIT TO ADD

Found the video....Most interesting...around nine minutes there is a table comparing the various options.....thanks again @JoshH

I think its really interesting - one problem with it is that the mixed bed used only 1 canister of mixed bed resin - whereas the other used twice (with the cation/anion) that amount of total resin - and the last used 3 x the total amount of resin. My guess is that if you ran 3 canisters of mixed bed resin, the results would be the same as the cation/anion/mixed bed option (the chemistries themselves). While I see the point that you are wasting some cation with a single mixed bed canister - you're also using 3 times the total material, 3 x the canisters, etc. I wish there was a total cost analysis including equipment, etc for the 3 options over a several month period. Are the differences between the 1 canister mixed bed - and the final really significant? (The 3 canister system certainly produces 'purer' water - but is is significant enough for the average tank).

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 99 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back