Poll: Was there a single fish or coral that brought you into the hobby?

Did a single fish or coral bring you in to the hobby?

• Yes - I saw a particular fish and was hooked - (Describe in thread)

Votes: 69 19.4%
  • Yes - I saw a particular coral and was hooked - (Describe in thread)

Votes: 19 5.3%
  • No - Nothing particular - just always wanted a tank

Votes: 231 64.9%
  • Other

Votes: 37 10.4%

• Total voters

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it was seeing an Emperor angel Juvenile in one tank & an adult in the tank next to it. I actually bought one back in the 70s for alot cheaper than you can get them for today but it died before it changed to adult color. This was also way before reef tanks were known to the general public.

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing particular got me into the hobby, but after taking a break I got back into for the sole purpose of setting up a Clown trigger tank and keeping some corals with it. That never happened still but hence the name Triggreef.

knowen87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept freshwater tanks as a teenager (still do), and I went to the local pet store to look around, and I saw a beautiful Mandarin dragonet. I was like, I'm gonna have one of those someday. It's still my holy grail fish. Maybe when my tank is more stable.
If you go to algae barn they have had captive bred ones come in every few weeks. They are a little expensive but they are a lot more hardy.

SMB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I made my first reef dive in 1972. Didn't know most of the fish but I was hooked.
(Didn't know any better about coral protection.)
Dive 1.jpg

JT's Adventures

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clown trigger, that color pattern just knocked me out. Unfortunately their temperament and size means I'll probably never own one.

Browner20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no they didn't lol.mine was and still is the powder blue tang.the fish that got me into tanks 50 years ago were cherry barbs and cardinal tetras.
I contend that the Skilter was far superior to all of the HOB options at the time. It was either cheap HOB or very expensive Venturi or down draft at the time - the protein skimmer game has stepped up significantly. I would actually rather have had a Skilter than what CoralLife and Red Sea had for sump skimmers at the time - talk about junk!

drstardust

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The queen angel for me, hands down. Saw a picture of one on a calendar I used to have and that was it. 10 years later I still don’t have a tank big enough for one, but one day :)

mmatt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black tip reef shark.

But soon learned after researching,that that wasn't going to happen. So got looking into fish and then said dang! I CAN GET CORAL TOO? F'in sweet! Sold!

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was 1988 my aunt had just set up a 10g saltwater tank and was cycling it with 2 blue damsels, I was 12 and as soon as I saw those blue fish in a pristine white background tank (remember back then you took your dead coral out and bleached it every week or so to keep it clean). 2 years later in 1990 I had my first saltwater tank with a couple condalactis anemones and a pair of clown fish and of course the blue damsels I used to cycle the tank

Fast forward 28 years and the first fish I put in my nano reef (after it was cycled, oh the times have changed) was a yellow tail damsel (the blues are a little aggressive for my tastes lol)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 39.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 52 34.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back