Poll: Water Changes - Automatic or Manual?

Automatic Water Changes or Manual?

• Yes - I have an AWC system operating

Votes: 148 14.1%
  • No - I do water changes manually

Votes: 646 61.6%
  • I have been thinking about setting up a AWC system

Votes: 165 15.7%
  • I don't do water changes

Votes: 77 7.3%
  • Other

Votes: 13 1.2%

• Total voters

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a water change frequency poll a couple of years ago. One of the options was "Daily - Automated" and it only got about 5% of the responses. I'm just curious if more folks have gone to the automatic water change systems since then.

Let's see what the results say this time.

FishyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seriously considered setting up AWC for my new build. I wanted a Tunze ATO but he AutoAqua AWC is the same price and it does ATO as well. Ended up deciding to go with the Tunze just because it seems to be much more widely used and has great reviews.

Another issue was finding a place to put all of those containers, space around and under my tank is limited so I didn't think there was enough room. My tank is on the opposite side of the house from my RODI which doesn't help. If we ever upgrade to a bigger house I'll reconsider it though, I do love the idea of daily smaller water changes.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realize I am in the minority but I prefer manual water changes. There are a few reasons :

The primary reason I do water changes is detritus removal. This has to be manual. Bare bottom and I just suck it out.
I like to reuse my water. Water goes from DT to lessor tanks. Secondary DT, frag tank, or if I have fish in QT I use the water there. Sometimes I cycle through 3 tanks depending on their individual needs. In some it is nutrient export but most it's just a refresh. In the case of my 10 gallon nano water changes are how alk/cal are maintained.

I do a complete target feeding once a week and once this is done this is when I do my water change. It allows me to inspect the reef with no flow on and really take a close look at things and hopefully catch minor problems before they become major. I am only changing 10-12 gallons a week so a couple of buckets is no big deal. At least for the foreseeable future. When I get older or have larger systems that require larger water changes I may switch to automated but I probably will still do little 5 gallon manual water changes for cleanup manually.

Seamore2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an ATO... but don't use it.

Not really a big hassle to do top-off in the AM and/or PM. I'm not sure I want a system that could fail on and 1. overflow my tank and 2. kill most of my tank's livestock by screwing up the salinity. Or, fail and not top-off and lead to elevated salinity.

Since my largest DT right now is 50 gallons, manual top-off is easy. If I go back up to a larger tank, I may set up the ATO and give it a try.

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an auto water changer but I wouldn’t dare leave it unattended while it was doing it’s thing. I’m still trying to figure out the optical sensor thing. But it makes the water change sooo much easier.

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my auto water change. Super easy, just need to keep an eye on the brute can to refill it every 3 weeks or so. Only issue I had is the stenner pump isn't 100% accurate across the two heads, so more is removed than added, caused me to lose an acro when the salinity got lower over time. I watch it more closely now and mix my NSW up at 1.03 and that solved the problem thus far. For detritus removal and sandbed cleaning I employ a couple fighting conchs, and occasionally put a filter sock in and stir the whole tank up aggressively.

PaulPerger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I chose "other" because mine is a "hybrid". I have a drain plumbed so I can drain up to 85% of my tank by opening a valve.

I have two lines running from my water station to my tank, one for SW and one for RO/DI.

So, while I never move water via a bucket, i do manually control the process.

Last edited:

AquaLifeStudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I'm using my GHL Doser Maxi to change out about 3 gallons in the morning and another 3 in the evening.

Whether I'm here or not, it has operated like clock work for the last 14 months. I love it

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a water change frequency poll a couple of years ago. One of the options was "Daily - Automated" and it only got about 5% of the responses. I'm just curious if more folks have gone to the automatic water change systems since then.

Let's see what the results say this time.
I recently moved DT and need to setup diy water changer. Good news I have baby yellow sun corals everywhere

DarkSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one set up, but I've set it up to change out 40 gallons at the push of a button over a 24 hour period (DOS w/ Apex) rather than continuous daily changes.

I like it, I'm much more consistent with my water change routines. I still gravel vac with a siphon tube running into a filter sock in my sump. Now I just don't have to stop vacuuming occasionally to empty a bucket. Completely separated water changes and sand maintenance, which is awesome.

My drain is a few rooms away from my fish room, and the DOS is quite capable at pushing water up into my ceiling and over several rooms.

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using a DOS to change 1%-2% daily (spread out over the whole 24 hours) of my system’s water volume for over 2 years now . I’ve never had a single problem. My tank is also set up so I can do manual waterchanges and never have to pick up a bucket. I haven’t done a manual waterchange in 2 years now. I don’t miss them, the corals and tank don’t miss them either. Everything is much happier (including me). After operating this tank this way, I would never set another tank up without it. It’s FAR to easy not to. I did the math on the time it saves me and it’s at least 26 hours a year of not changing water manually, for that reason alone it’s worth it!

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have access to a drain close by... I wish I did otherwise I would set it up.

I ran a conduit through the wall containing 1/4" poly tubing between my sump and the mixing station in my garage where there's a utility sink, about 30 feet from my tank. I use a DOS to do auto water changes daily, and ATO through another tube. I love this setup.

IMG_2593.JPG

IMG_2764.jpg

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1.5 GPD DOS based AWC in my ~160 gallon system started last November.

Awesome results.

I had a fairly efficient water change system before... mixing station with a pump to return water to the tank, 10g rubbermaid buckets... I was able to do a 30g water change in no more than a half hour. The new system is way less work.

The added stability is great... In my primarily soft coral reef, I was able to eliminate 2pt dosing... levels maintain themselves, with the automatic water changes. Levels are ROCK SOLID.

Not having to siphon water and lug 10g water buckets around any more? Priceless.

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have no clue why anyone would not use an automated water change system... the only thing i can think of is funding as i can get a bit expensive and if that is the case start saving up as it is so worthwhile and in my opinion a MUST

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an auto water changer but I wouldn’t dare leave it unattended while it was doing it’s thing. I’m still trying to figure out the optical sensor thing. But it makes the water change sooo much easier.
why would you not leave it alone? if it is setup correctly it does its thing perfectly. i have had my apex DOS doing a 4 gallon water change per day every day for a bit over a year with no problems. the only issue i had last week was i noticed the salt return was adding saltwater and i by mistake hit the 1/4" tube loose from DOS

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back