• Other

Votes: 23 11.4%

• Total voters

spidercrab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I have spent the last many months researching zoa pox 24/7 and have come up empty handed. WHAT IS IT? Seems like I know nothing about it. Everyone says Furan 2 works for this but does it really? I've tried it plenty of times with no success. ESPECIALLY on highend zoas.

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I have spent the last many months researching zoa pox 24/7 and have come up empty handed. WHAT IS IT? Seems like I know nothing about it. Everyone says Furan 2 works for this but does it really? I've tried it plenty of times with no success. ESPECIALLY on highend zoas.

Which treatment method are you using?

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is this a poll? I feel like that's just going to lend itself to anecdote.

As soon as you create a thread, any thread, any topic you're going to get anecdotal post. There are not many among us with degrees in microbiology.

I have often wondered what pathogen Zoa Pox is myself.

Pox the viral form is seen in plants and animals, a wide range of animals. When I worked with marine mammals we saw yearly out breaks of Pox in the younger animals. Chickens, mice.... you get the idea.

The confusion for me is that Furan is antibacterial. So it's possible we have all along incorrectly named what we see in Zoanthids as the same vial conditions we see in mammals and other animals.

ChiCity

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I was always under the impression zoa pox was fungal...
At the very least, that’s what it’s appearance has always led me the believe

zachxlutz

120 Gallons of FUN
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As soon as you create a thread, any thread, any topic you're going to get anecdotal post. There are not many among us with degrees in microbiology.

I 100% agree. That being said, a poll is going to lend itself more to opinion, rather than scientific knowledge (which, it seems, is what OP was looking for)... in my anecdotal opinion. ;)

ChiCity

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I 100% agree. That being said, a poll is going to lend itself more to opinion, rather than scientific knowledge (which, it seems, is what OP was looking for)... in my anecdotal opinion. ;)
How much scientific knowledge is available for a majority of the critters we keep in our systems?

It seems we’re the lone stewards of an otherwise forgotten era of marine life on earth.
Opinions are all we’ve got.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

zachxlutz

120 Gallons of FUN
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much scientific knowledge is available for a majority of the critters we keep in our systems?

It seems we’re the lone stewards of an otherwise forgotten era of marine life on earth.
Opinions are all we’ve got.

There is a multitude of peer reviewed research papers and information presented by proper scientists on just about every aspect of our hobby from water parameters to lighting to coral and to fish. I think it’s a little unfair to suggest there isn’t much scientific knowledge on our critters.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The intent of the thread is the topic of the poll, not arguing the abundance of reviewed research. Out of respect to the creator of the thread please keep the thread on topic. Feel free to create your own thread on absence or abundance of research available to hobbyist.

:)

ChiCity

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
There is a multitude of peer reviewed research papers and information presented by proper scientists on just about every aspect of our hobby from water parameters to lighting to coral and to fish. I think it’s a little unfair to suggest there isn’t much scientific knowledge on our critters.
You completely glanced over my point...
Of course we all know the proper husbandry for clowns.
But how much information is available when you dive deeper into marine critters?
Individually.
For example...
How much anecdotal scientific material is available on say.... JF’s homewrecker?

zachxlutz

120 Gallons of FUN
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The intent of the thread is the topic of the poll, not arguing the abundance of reviewed research. Out of respect to the creator of the thread please keep the thread on topic. Feel free to create your own thread on absence or abundance of research available to hobbyist.

Thanks for helping to keeping the thread on topic. I'll move on.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Staying on topic, I have to ask how a fact question gets answered by poll. [emoji23][emoji23]

Does the one with the most votes win and becomes the truth?

In other words, what does one use the result for?

Looking at the responses, The only use is to show that the majority of reefers are wrong, no matter which answer is right.

zachxlutz

120 Gallons of FUN
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Staying on topic, I have to ask how a fact question gets answered by poll.
emoji23.png
emoji23.png

Does the one with the most votes win and becomes the truth?

In other words, what does one use the result for?

Looking at the responses, The only use is to show that the majority of reefers are wrong, no matter which answer is right.

This is my point exactly. I don't understand why this is a poll on the front page of our forum. It is not a pollable question. It's something that has a definitive answer, whether that's currently known or not, is another question.

wattson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was under the impression it is a fungus but what ever it is,,it has a high percentage of being cured which is the best part of getting pox..
I used to get zoa pox in the past..I went through all the different so called reasons I have researched on line..
I started using a space heater in the room to maintain temps and have not had an occurrence since...
Im a advocate for temp swings being the main factor in my case..Thats is the only thing that I changed and stayed with..

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I have often wondered what pathogen Zoa Pox is myself.

Pox the viral form is seen in plants and animals, a wide range of animals. When I worked with marine mammals we saw yearly out breaks of Pox in the younger animals. Chickens, mice.... you get the idea.

The confusion for me is that Furan is antibacterial. So it's possible we have all along incorrectly named what we see in Zoanthids as the same vial conditions we see in mammals and other animals.

The answer is that it’s “unknown”. Furans act against bacteria, Protozoa and under certain light have antiviral properties. I agree with hearing lots of opinions and I also agree with @Randy Holmes-Farley and with the other poster. In that I’m not sure why a poll (which I thought was to gauge opinion) is being taken from people, as you said are not microbiologists, that has a factual answer. This is meant as a question not a critique btw

Back