Polyfilter how long?

Christa50

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are pieces of polyfilter in my tank after two days. Every two days I replace them. But is that necessary every two days? I can not find any photo of how dark polyfilter is allowed to become in a reef tank. Can someone help? Not that it's a cheap filter media.

IMG_20200129_165258.jpg IMG_20200129_165238.jpg

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say for the Micron size, 2-3 days is about normal. I get about 3 on my 100 Micron socks. They will start getting clogged and water wont really go through it, but instead over it and run down the sides.

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only get a few days from mine, even though they don't look too dirty the flow through them slows.

Yeah. Well remember, filter socks have more surface area for the water to flow out of. Once one part gets full the water just runs out of another. When its going straight down through polyfil it only had one way to go.

OP
OP
Christa50

Christa50

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are just two small pieces in an internal filter. The water first goes through sponge. I don't mind changing them every two days, but some people say you have to replace them when black.

IMG_20200129_180405.jpg

OP
OP
Christa50

Christa50

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried the whole Polyfil cup but honestly I had better results with the 100 Micron filter socks.
I understand. However I don't have a sump nor do I have a protein skimmer. I used to have I bigger tank wit sump and a bubble magus skimmer. But I've gone way smaller. The polyfilter does a pretty good job keeping the quality of the water. I was just wondering do people let it get black? Just because I can not find anything to compare on the internet

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand. However I don't have a sump nor do I have a protein skimmer. I used to have I bigger tank wit sump and a bubble magus skimmer. But I've gone way smaller. The polyfilter does a pretty good job keeping the quality of the water. I was just wondering do people let it get black? Just because I can not find anything to compare on the internet

Well if you don't have a sump it's better than nothing. Haha.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The thing is they are not mechanical filters they are chemical media like carbon and should be used so.
They should last a while depending on the impurities and amounts they are removing.

They are for removing heavy metals, toxins, organics, phosphate, yellowing, copper etc.
They will change color based on what they are removing like copper they turn blue I believe.

Those above are dirty and look like they were used as a mechanical filter like sponge or floss.

OP
OP
Christa50

Christa50

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing is they are not mechanical filters they are chemical media like carbon.
They should last a while depending on the impurities they are removing.

They are for removing heavy metals, toxins, ,organics, phosphate, yellowing, copper etc.

Those above are dirty and look like they were used as a mechanical filter like sponge or floss.
Yeah well, in my small tank they do most of the filtering indeed. My livestock is low. Only two kaudernis and some sexy shrimp and a view tiny snails. I did get polyfilter to keep my water pristine and it does a great job. Just wondering about other experiences

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use only poly filters on my nanos and pico. After doing a blow down, I change it out the next day.
On average I change them ever 2-3 days. They never look that dirty though. I run 100, 100 fine and sometimes a micron.
to be honest, this is the cheapest part of the hobby. I don’t mind spending 20 bucks for a cut to size pack that lasts me about 3 months.
the two cut to size lasts a while. The 10 micron I order 2 socks and cut them up. They last about a year because I only run once or twice a month.

132143EB-6CF3-422C-A16B-BACCD90DA565.jpeg FA3889F1-BDD0-423E-A09F-155BEA24B317.jpeg E08EDB9B-6F77-4DB4-B91E-F442F9BF7BCE.jpeg

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah well, in my small tank they do most of the filtering indeed. My livestock is low. Only two kaudernis and some sexy shrimp and a view tiny snails. I did get polyfilter to keep my water pristine and it does a great job. Just wondering about other experiences

Then if you want a mechanical filter material buy that because it is way cheaper and then the polyfilters would last months. Plus all that dirt in them is decreasing their efficiency.

It is recommended by them that is is used after pre-filter material.

You can buy mechanical filter material in rolls that are dirt cheap or as filter pads. Far cheaper and does a better job than Polyfilters for trapping detritus. Better yet throw a filter pad on top of the poly filter.

I always have polyfilters in my tanks and have been using them for 30+ years and are excellent and so much easier and cleaner than carbon.

Last edited:

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use 2 sizes of floss. The first catches the big stuff, and the smaller stuff goes into the other. I find it extends the life of both a little.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think they have an 'expiration'. It's when it's exhausted due to your contaminants. But...it will collect detritus and then that'll lead to nutrients (which it isn't so good at removing). I ran mine a week at a time - little funky looking but nothing indicating anything but normal detritus.

I did find after a while that I didn't need them - since I never saw any heavy metal contamination and the tank was mature I started skipping more and more days and was just fine. I do like having it around just in case though.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't think they have an 'expiration'. It's when it's exhausted due to your contaminants. But...it will collect detritus and then that'll lead to nutrients (which it isn't so good at removing). I ran mine a week at a time - little funky looking but nothing indicating anything but normal detritus.

I did find after a while that I didn't need them - since I never saw any heavy metal contamination and the tank was mature I started skipping more and more days and was just fine. I do like having it around just in case though.

That right people are using for something it is not intended for. It is not intended to remove detritus so it is not efficient at it.

It is like trying to use a coat as a mop. Will a coat mop something up sure but wont do as good as a mop would and is intended to keep you warm and protect you from the elements. It is also a expensive mop.

Instructions right from poly bio mairine :
Place the Poly-Filter® resale size: 4" x 8" into any filter system after prefilter material.

Also here is what it is:
Highly adsorbent chemical filter media .

Not mechanical it absorbs. That is how carbon or something like purigen work.

OP
OP
Christa50

Christa50

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think some people missed the point that the water runs by a sponge first in the filter. It is a small power filter, so plenty of water is pumped through the polyfilter, after its been trough the sponge. I was just wondering if it was normal that it becomes tanned in a view days. In another tread a gentleman replied that his polyfilter was tan in about two weeks in a coral only nano tank. So I guess every view days is fine in my case. With fish, coral food and so on

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also think some people are mistaking polyfilter for polyfill batting ….. they are not the same thing. I run two polyfilter pads 24x7 on my 450 and change them out every month. They do catch detritus even with a prefilter and will turn brown as result. manually rinsing them every week keeps them in good shape.

OP
OP
Christa50

Christa50

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also think some people are mistaking polyfilter for polyfill batting ….. they are not the same thing. I run two polyfilter pads 24x7 on my 450 and change them out every month. They do catch detritus and will turn brown as result. manually rinsing them every week keeps them in good shape.
That was what I was thinking. There were comments about micron zises. As far as I am aware there is only one zise polyfilter. Not even close to microns

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I change my poly filter, inTank dual density, when water starts backing up in them... which is usually every 2-3 days. It has a lot to due with how much and what you are feeding.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back