Pom Pom crab

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one in my 75g he’s been in there about a year, I added a fuzzy dwarf lionfish about 3-4 months ago I saw him so lil I totally forgot I had a Pom Pom, I have seen my fuzzy try him a few times but he was just a tad too big for his mouth and they have pretty good grip the lionfish suction is not strong enough to un grip him or my emerald which he often looks at but kinda gave up on but I’m sure eventually he will be a snack.

OP
OP
Michelle Crossley

Michelle Crossley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet you will rarely see it if at all. I had one in my 40g for over a year and saw it maybe once a week if I was lucky only when feeding in the evening and always in a different spot. For a while I thought my wrasse ate it when I didn't see it for over a month, NOPE it was fine. It finally lost its nems and died. I have no idea how old it was but its body was about the size of a finger (~1/2") and outstretched maybe triple that. Can't find my pictures but I would get another one/two in a heartbeat for each tank it was always exciting to see. I found mine at petco randomly like $9.
Well doesn't that seem like £20 I have blown on a invisible possibly not even there Pom Pom crab lol.
Joking apart I really hope it is there as it is such a lovely critter and I would like to see it grow

OP
OP
Michelle Crossley

Michelle Crossley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet you will rarely see it if at all. I had one in my 40g for over a year and saw it maybe once a week if I was lucky only when feeding in the evening and always in a different spot. For a while I thought my wrasse ate it when I didn't see it for over a month, NOPE it was fine. It finally lost its nems and died. I have no idea how old it was but its body was about the size of a finger (~1/2") and outstretched maybe triple that. Can't find my pictures but I would get another one/two in a heartbeat for each tank it was always exciting to see. I found mine at petco randomly like $9.
Well doesn't that seem like £20 I have blown on a invisible possibly not even there Pom Pom crab lol.
Joking apart I really hope it is there as it is such a lovely critter and I would like to see it grow

OP
OP
Michelle Crossley

Michelle Crossley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some and you'll see them in the open from time to time, but not all the time. Next time order a few and they will mate in the tank. The orange egg mass makes the pregnant females much easier to see.
Sounds like a good idea. I will give it a go. Thank you

OP
OP
Michelle Crossley

Michelle Crossley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one in my 75g he’s been in there about a year, I added a fuzzy dwarf lionfish about 3-4 months ago I saw him so lil I totally forgot I had a Pom Pom, I have seen my fuzzy try him a few times but he was just a tad too big for his mouth and they have pretty good grip the lionfish suction is not strong enough to un grip him or my emerald which he often looks at but kinda gave up on but I’m sure eventually he will be a snack.
I really like lion fish but I am really frightened of the them

OP
OP
Michelle Crossley

Michelle Crossley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will snap some pics of the sump dwellers when i get home, easiest to find. Also anyone afraid regular bristle worms eat livestock, with the crabs are numerous 1 inch worms and one thats like 5 times the size of crabs, and they are still there :)
Looking forward to seeing your pics.

Octane13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For size reference, unfortunately after mine had died. Randomly found the nem on the rock couple days later.
IMG_1068.JPG
IMG_1069.JPG

Was difficult to get a good picture as they are tiny.

LisaAP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love these awesome little crabs, I currently have one in my Reefer 170. I am fortunate enough to have discovered where he likes to hide so I know where to look for him during the day at feeding times. When the lights are off he is almost always out and about roaming the tank. I have sun corals that I feed every night and that almost always grabs his attention. Perhaps you could try adding some food after lights out and the fish are sleeping to try and tempt him out in to the open?

My lil guy been with me for almost 1 year and 10 months now and still has both his anemones. A gorgeous and fascinating crab. :)

Ming091218.png

I hope manage to find yours alive and well soon.

Regards

Lisa

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one in my 75g gallon. Her body is about as wide as the tip of my thumb, she was a good size when I bought her though. She had arrived at my LFS as a hitchhiker on some live rock they had ordered. At least once a day I'll see her out waving her pom poms. I've had her about a year and she hasn't lost her anemones yet. Twice I've actually seen her let one go, and then she rips the other one in half. I guess they get too big.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back