Poma Labs review - conspic angel and blueline purchase

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

If anyone still follows me I have been trying to source large angelfish (pre quarantined preferably) for a long time for my 500G wall tank. I haven't added much to it in some time and I've had a couple of losses. My angels in there are big and aggressive so I need either several large aggressive additions or perhaps several smaller less intimidating (submissive) angels to grow out. They're impossible to find, so I decided to try a different angle.

I decided to run with some aquacultured angelfish from both Poma Labs and Biota Group. I will focus this review on Poma Labs, and make a separate one for Biota Group purchases. (See this thread if interested for Biota https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/b...lake-asfur-and-cortez-angel-purchases.953783/)

Let me first say that the customer service at Poma Labs is second to none. I purchased a blueline and conspicuous angel from them last week. I've never splurged on a fish like a conspic angel, I've always wanted one. It's been a rough year and I decided my gift to myself would be some angelfish to grow myself. Hopefully they grow quickly!

Both fish arrived FAT, HEALTHY, and BEAUTIFUL. about 4.5" each. Bigger than I had expected. The blueline is eating like a pig, the conspic is a bit slower to eat but is showing interest and picking at things in the tank. I am certain it'll come around and be fine, it arrived so fat already that it could not eat for weeks and be fine. But they were OVERWHELMINGLY healthy and fat. I've not seen shipments of fish this healthy. Matt told me what they eat, what to expect, and answered all of my (at times probably foolish) questions. I could not be happier with them!

UPDATE: no sooner did I post this, now the conspic is eating frozen!

I will try to get some photos up soon!

3390A241-C57A-4A67-93B9-8B2158B3781F.jpeg FA0E9907-D414-4C72-A553-ED7C880BEA17.jpeg F260E166-6A4A-4352-A670-EB854B661326.jpeg BEC76A6D-C88A-4CC0-8A14-047FBD7456D4.jpeg

Last edited:

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Congrats on your additions!

Got my Conspic from Poma Labs a couple weeks ago, I think I might have been choosing between mine and the one you received.

It took 3-4 days for mine to get comfortable in tank to eat, but she’s been an enthusiastic eater since. Loves Nori, LRS, TDO and Flakes (Matt told me they feed Formula 1 flakes and also go nuts for Squid) and super inquisitive.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on your additions!

Got my Conspic from Poma Labs a couple weeks ago, I think I might have been choosing between mine and the one you received.

It took 3-4 days for mine to get comfortable in tank to eat, but she’s been an enthusiastic eater since. Loves Nori, LRS, TDO and Flakes (Matt told me they feed Formula 1 flakes and also go nuts for Squid) and super inquisitive.
Mine he described as somewhat smaller but with unique blue markings on the face (more than usual). He had two larger ones but I didn't want too big, as I hope my smaller angels from Biota "catch up" a bit so I can add them to my 500G system together in a year or so (we shall see). I am fine with them hanging in my 180 "reef" because it's all cheapo coral other than one small unknown SPS and it's not a big deal if they pick at star polyps, "texas trash palys", cabbage, kenya tree, etc.

Glad yours is doing well!

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mine he described as somewhat smaller but with unique blue markings on the face (more than usual). He had two larger ones but I didn't want too big, as I hope my smaller angels from Biota "catch up" a bit so I can add them to my 500G system together in a year or so (we shall see). I am fine with them hanging in my 180 "reef" because it's all cheapo coral other than one small unknown SPS and it's not a big deal if they pick at star polyps, "texas trash palys", cabbage, kenya tree, etc.

Glad yours is doing well!

I had the same requirement, wanted their smallest as I like watching them grow. He said foreign customers generally want the largest possible.

Mine lives with four other angels (Regal, Indian Swallowtail, Multicolor and Flame) and she’s by-and-far the largest of the group at 4.5”. Pretty much ignores them.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s your plan for the bigger tank? :) Do you think the Conspic will get really big?

I completely agree it is better to grow a fish from a juvenile. Much more rewarding and larger specimens don’t always adapt (wild ones). Never got the obsession with “show size” fish anyway.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wait, you already got a Blue Line and Conspic. Congrats! :) Glad they’re at a good size too. Wonder why the Conspic is a slower eater. You think it is inherent to the species?
Matt said they are but. Figure it out in 3-7 days when stress comes down.

Homestly my Achilles gave him crap for 2 days as. I didn’t leave them in the acclimation box long enough it seems! Achilles left the blueline alone oddly!

Thanks!

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s your plan for the bigger tank? :) Do you think the Conspic will get really big?

I completely agree it is better to grow a fish from a juvenile. Much more rewarding and larger specimens don’t always adapt (wild ones). Never got the obsession with “show size” fish anyway.
Eventually I need them to get large so I can add a group or decent sized angels to my large aggressive angels in my 500G :). I do agree, watching them grow is cool!

Last edited:

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a pair of bluelines from Poma Labs. They were great fish! But my Interruptus Angel eventually killed them both. He has killed every angel I have added. He is currently in a tank by himself. I’m upgrading from 180 to 270 gallon tank in about a month. My plan is to get more angels and maybe bigger ones in the new tank before adding the interruptus back in. I’m thinking of getting bluelines again. And maybe a pair of blue face angels. Before I had just 2 kinds of angels and I think I would have better luck with multiple pairs instead of just 2 kinds of angels. Would love a pair of Conspics, but not in the cards financially right now.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a pair of bluelines from Poma Labs. They were great fish! But my Interruptus Angel eventually killed them both. He has killed every angel I have added. He is currently in a tank by himself. I’m upgrading from 180 to 270 gallon tank in about a month. My plan is to get more angels and maybe bigger ones in the new tank before adding the interruptus back in. I’m thinking of getting bluelines again. And maybe a pair of blue face angels. Before I had just 2 kinds of angels and I think I would have better luck with multiple pairs instead of just 2 kinds of angels. Would love a pair of Conspics, but not in the cards financially right now.
Aww dang, I am so sorry! I'd love to see him pick on my 10"+ Passer, 10" Queen, 11"+ French, or 8.5" Emperor angels in my 500G! Interruptus are so beautiful, I was unaware that they were such turds!

Better luck to you at that time. If you need some live rock, I think I have about 100lbs here I'd sell for cheap (for you). Unrelated -- I don't use paypal anymore is there another way I can pay my Indmas dues easily? I PM'd you haha!

Take care friend!

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aww dang, I am so sorry! I'd love to see him pick on my 10"+ Passer, 10" Queen, 11"+ French, or 8.5" Emperor angels in my 500G! Interruptus are so beautiful, I was unaware that they were such turds!

Better luck to you at that time. If you need some live rock, I think I have about 100lbs here I'd sell for cheap (for you). Unrelated -- I don't use paypal anymore is there another way I can pay my Indmas dues easily? I PM'd you haha!

Take care friend!
Yeah I didn’t know interruptus so so mean either, especially since they are in the dwarf category.I had a pair but male jumped and thought maybe the female would not be so mean but once got to 3” turned into a terror also. The angels they killed were bigger than them.
I do need some more rock for my new tank. I will send you pm. Thanks

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 33 29.7%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 25.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back