Poor man’s Phytoplankton

willieboy240

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you guys think ? I was watching YouTube and this thought jumped into my head. Phytoplankton is supposed to be so good but I’m the lazy reefer. Lol.
So I came up with a knock off. Thus the poorman’s phytoplankton. I 3D printed a knock off of a brine shrimp hatchery. That doesn’t use a air pump or light. All you do is fill it with saltwater. Which I get from my aquarium. Bought some brine shrimp eggs and spirilina powder from brs.
add saltwater and a small scoop of eggs. Then in a day. The baby brine shrimp swim too the hole cuz they are attracted to light.
when I see them. I add a little spirulina powder to gut load them and I feed it to my aquarium.
Thought I would pass it along to you guys. I hope it helps.

6006FE3B-9AF6-4247-8ED8-C3A68020A5C3.jpeg image.jpg

Y8ZC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s pretty sweet! I bet you could sell the hatchery on the homemade forum. I wonder if you could raise copepods on spirulina alone? I have a phyto culture that I keep to feed my copepod culture and I little to the tank. The phyto is the most time intensive part with making sure they don’t crash. The copepods are set and forget for the most part and I only dump the phyto in every week and do a water change every month to month and a half.

Jay'sReefBugs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s pretty sweet! I bet you could sell the hatchery on the homemade forum. I wonder if you could raise copepods on spirulina alone? I have a phyto culture that I keep to feed my copepod culture and I little to the tank. The phyto is the most time intensive part with making sure they don’t crash. The copepods are set and forget for the most part and I only dump the phyto in every week and do a water change every month to month and a half.
Spirulina can be a additive but they won't do well at all if that's the only food source

Back