Poor Mans 29 gallon Reef

Rugops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Nerds! *teehee*

Anyways, boy oh boy do I got a little thread for you. This thread is for people who want to set up a sorta cheapish tank on their first run. I am cheap and I am not ashamed.

So this all started when my family decided that it was time for my parrot to go. It breaks my heart because I love that bird. He might smell and is really dusty but I love him. (by 3/18/2023 he will be gone :()

EDIT ON THE STORY ON THE BIRD (because the original context that I gave was very vague and I was playing around with my wording about him leaving and didn't think that people would take it so seriously like jeez):

"Nacho" is a 10 - 20 year old (to be honest we don't know the age) male yellow-naped amazon who has been with me for quite a long time. The origin of the bird itself is unknown but I know that his original owner actually raised him as a young fledging. Our story began when I had gone to a local flea market and got to know this man. The man is a bird lover, with Nacho being his life and soul. The man had told me that he was planning to go to Mexico for a unknown period of time and he had no one to take care of him. With my fascination and already planned care for this animal (because I wanted a parrot), I took him in and paid the $1200 that the man wanted for him. For the following number of years, I took extremely good care of this animal. I spend around 3+ hours with him on a daily basis. I would take him on walks daily and I would let him run around the yard and he would explore the environment, running around, destroying sticks and throwing things and he would sit with me as I did my homework and we would "chat". I did this almost everyday with diligence. He became comfortable with me and I with him. He will rub his head on me and I would "preen" him and we would "wrestle". He does get nippy though but I couldn't see why people would ever get rid of such personable and lovable creatures. I would say that although I might not ever have children of my own, Nacho is the closest thing I could ever have to one (my mom gets so mad lol).

Fast forward a long time later, we went to a different flea market and 'lo and behold, the man was in a stall. I didn't recognize him at first but after a brief stare - it clicked. He was back. After a brief talk, it seems that the situation for him changed and he came back. He asked me about Nacho and we conversed for a while and he tried to convince me to give him back to him and it seemed that he was kinda desperate to get Nacho back (when he dropped him off with me he actually cried). I was reluctant and I didn't want to because I like Nacho a lot too. My parents convinced me to give him back. I have not ever neglected this bird and I give him lots of attention and tend to his needs, I take him to the farmers market and stores and he meets new people and asks them how they are doing and what not and he has enjoyed life and has never displayed signs of stress or distress but I just feel like my own life is going to change and maybe it won't be the same for Nacho, and this man, who would let him run around his house (I can't) and yard and explore and play with toys and take care of him as much as I did and could offer more than I ever could. This man is retired and I am barely starting off my life. His entire family is willing to take care of this animal and my own can't take care of him as he will attack them. Even my father, who Nacho loves the most even before me, won't tend to him (he is jealous of my mom and sometimes when she stands up or moves, Nacho will give my dad a "love bite" and it makes my dad not want to be with him and will ignore him). I am home most of the time but I believe that Nacho will have a better life with the man who raised him.

I am grieved that I have to let him go but it is for the betterment Nacho who will stay with this man permanently.

There, for any of those who were concerned about the animal. Please refrain from battering me about it.

Moving on

Plan is to set up a reef tank with a 10 gallon sump with a refugium (there are some difficulties in this which I will discuss later).

Here is a google sheet of the costs so far.

Btw, the salt I will use (Instant Ocean (not the reef crystals)) I got in a trade along with the rock in the pic which isn't calculated in the cost.

20230306_172647.jpg

20221102_171059.jpg
20230222_133933.jpg 20230316_225712.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rugops

Rugops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!
So yesterday I glued in my aquascape (not all together) with silicone and today it is pretty sturdy but I will allow it to dry a little more before I start cycling.
1678375929916.png

OP
OP
Rugops

Rugops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey get in line buddy! I just started up a budget 29 gallon!!!!

Just kidding! Scape looks awesome. Whats filtration and stocking plan?
Oh yea?!? Well, my budget reef will be more budgety than your budget!!!!

I'll be running a Tunze 9002 skimmer and a little refugium/sump with Gracilaria mammillaris.

Stock plan looks like this:

Starks Damsel
Mandarin Dragonet (I have a white worm culture ready)
A pair of clowns (whatever type between percula and occelaris)
Maybe a clown goby or a canary blenny

Last edited:

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh yea?!? Well, my budget reef will be more budgety than your budget!!!!

I'll be running a Tunze 9002 skimmer and a little refugium with Gracilaria mammillaris.

Stock plan looks like this:

Starks Damsel
Mandarin Dragonet (I have a white worm culture ready)
A pair of clowns (whatever type between percula and occelaris)
Maybe a clown goby or a canary blenny
My sump is a literal BUCKET! Haha

Sounds good. Careful with those clown gobies, I recently leaned they will eat polyps off SPS despite my LFS telling me they are reef safe!

OP
OP
Rugops

Rugops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sump is a literal BUCKET! Haha

Sounds good. Careful with those clown gobies, I recently leaned they will eat polyps off SPS despite my LFS telling me they are reef safe!
Hey man, if it works it works. I would have done the same thing but I guess yours is like THE budget reef of budget reefs.
I had a extra 10 gallon to use as a sump lying around when we bred leeches so I just cleaned it up so it isn't included in costs.

Wow, never heard that before. I heard they host into lps (which I will be solely keeping), don't think they eat them but could be wrong?

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey man, if it works it works. I would have done the same thing but I guess yours is like THE budget reef of budget reefs.
I had a extra 10 gallon to use as a sump lying around when we bred leeches so I just cleaned it up so it isn't included in costs.

Wow, never heard that before. I heard they host into lps (which I will be solely keeping), don't think they eat them but could be wrong?
Bred leaches? For bait or something? For blood letting? Must know more!

OP
OP
Rugops

Rugops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bred leaches? For bait or something? For blood letting? Must know more!
So, my mother was becoming lethargic and as to counteract this and perhaps promote circulation, she began to breed leeches in this 10 gallon tank. I can't tell you the exact science but what I can say is that there was a more noticeable difference and she became more active. She even had me try it. What I can tell you is that it is ticklish at first but then they begin to dig into the skin and it stings a bit but then stops once they get a good flow. The blood does flow for a bit but pressing on the skin does stop the flow faster.

Pretty gross right.

OP
OP
Rugops

Rugops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,
So far I added the sand for like two days ago (3/9/23) and I have been adding a brine shrimp cube to feed the bacteria I added (microbe-lift special blend water care). The ammonia is like ~0.25 atm (salifert). The pump is to filter the sediment that won't settle and it has done really well. I am running the skimmer too.

20230311_174017.jpg

OP
OP
Rugops

Rugops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey yo peeps!
So I made a primitive little sump with some pieces of plastic that I had. Since they were concave I had to attach them to the sides laterally but it worked.

I got a piece of live rock at my lfs (which is in a mall aka AlleyCat if any of you guys live in Vancouver, WA). It'll help suck up the ammonia but I think the calupera went sexual because the ammonia spiked to like 0.5 from ~0.25.

The temp has been set to 80.0 F and I changed the salinity to 1.026. I want to test the parameters.
20230316_194641.jpg
20230316_194644.jpg

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Hey Nerds! *teehee*

Anyways, boy oh boy do I got a little thread for you. This thread is for people who want to set up a sorta cheapish tank on their first run. I am cheap and I am not ashamed.

So this all started when my family decided that it was time for my parrot to go. I have been with him for two years (while in college too, I am good at managing my time) and they are sick of him. It breaks my heart because I love that bird. He might smell and is really dusty but I love him. (by 3/18/2023 he will be gone :()

In an act of revenge I decided that I would replace him with a reef tank! HAHAHA!

While he's been with me, I had been running a FW tank. It was boring to manage. I hated it. I loved my betta though.

For the meantime, I have been going out and about just collecting the supplies I need. It hasn't been too bad. The money I will get back from getting rid of my bird will fill the costs of what I buy. Paid $1200 for the bird but the owner is such a butt that he wants to give $1100 only because we are giving him a pair of budgies too. Whatever.....

Plan is to set up a reef tank with a 10 gallon sump with a refugium (there are some difficulties in this which I will discuss later).

Here is a google sheet of the costs so far.

Btw, the salt I will use (Instant Ocean (not the reef crystals)) I got in a trade along with the rock in the pic which isn't calculated in the cost.

20230306_172647.jpg

20221102_171059.jpg
20230222_133933.jpg
@ktfloyd01

Kathy Floyd

ktfloyd01
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow. I'm sorry, but people that think birds are just disposable or replaceable for another 'hobby' is disgusting.

I sure hope this Amazon ends up in a loving home and doesn't end up being used for breeding or ends up either abused or neglected. I have seen it a thousand-plus times over and over and for every excuse, you can imagine. It is always the bird who ends up paying the price.

Off my soap box.

OP
OP
Rugops

Rugops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. I'm sorry, but people that think birds are just disposable or replaceable for another 'hobby' is disgusting.

I sure hope this Amazon ends up in a loving home and doesn't end up being used for breeding or ends up either abused or neglected. I have seen it a thousand-plus times over and over and for every excuse, you can imagine. It is always the bird who ends up paying the price.

Off my soap box.
I would have kept him for the rest of my life but my fam made me get rid of him. I didn't specify but he is going back to his original owner. The man kept "Nacho" as if he were his child. I wasn't going to give him back but it would be better for the bird in the long run.

The bird is going to a good home. I wouldn't have given him to anyone else.

Probably should have mentioned this beforehand.

EDIT: I have given a better context regarding the bird as someone else is going to come in and call PETA on me. He'll be fine.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rugops

Rugops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just because I felt like it was needed, I have edited the story about the bird and I thank those who are concerned (remember we are on the internet).

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just because I felt like it was needed, I have edited the story about the bird and I thank those who are concerned (remember we are on the internet).

I can tell that you care deeply for your animals. The bird’s back with the original owner which is actually better for the bird. They never forget that person, even though they might not show behavioral issues to a new owner.

Your system is coming together nicely. I like the scape so far. I also like the stocking list. One concern though is the dragonette. It’ll need pods, and lots of them. I’ve never heard of a dragonette eating white worms though your culture will be good for all your fish.

You’re going to need a sump/refugium with plenty of live rock or the pod palaces they sell (I think that’s the right name for them). Even if you get a self sustaining copepod culture going these guys can eat thousands of copepods a day. I don’t remember if they can eat amphipods or not but I kept a scooter blenny years ago. It was fat and happy and I’m pretty sure it ate amphipods as well. The point of all this is that you’ll probably have to supplement your tank with pods every month or two and you’ll want to keep other pod eaters out.

OP
OP
Rugops

Rugops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can tell that you care deeply for your animals. The bird’s back with the original owner which is actually better for the bird. They never forget that person, even though they might not show behavioral issues to a new owner.

Your system is coming together nicely. I like the scape so far. I also like the stocking list. One concern though is the dragonette. It’ll need pods, and lots of them. I’ve never heard of a dragonette eating white worms though your culture will be good for all your fish.

You’re going to need a sump/refugium with plenty of live rock or the pod palaces they sell (I think that’s the right name for them). Even if you get a self sustaining copepod culture going these guys can eat thousands of copepods a day. I don’t remember if they can eat amphipods or not but I kept a scooter blenny years ago. It was fat and happy and I’m pretty sure it ate amphipods as well. The point of all this is that you’ll probably have to supplement your tank with pods every month or two and you’ll want to keep other pod eaters out.
I don't want to give him back though it sounded like I did in my original post but I really don't. I am slightly less tense about letting him go as when I met the owner the second time he was like:

"Hey are you willing to sell Nacho back? You don't want him right?"

I think he had another bird and kinda similar with me, he had to sell the bird since he was going to leave and he told me that he tried getting into contact with the woman who he sold it to but I think it was that she'd take care of the bird for a period of time but they haven't been successful in contacting her so Nacho is literally all that he has left.

So today (3/18/23) is probably the last day I have with him. Before we go our separate ways though, at least we can enjoy the flea market together and if anything were to happen, he would send him my way again

Even my mom who Nach HATES (it is crazy how fast Nach can run as he tries to bite her) doesn't want him to go.

Anyways,
The dragonet will probably be something I'll have to reconsider. I can start a pod culture but it's kinda more trouble than it's worth but there are reefers in my area that culture pods so I'll get some from them. I am crossing my fingers that it takes the white worms though.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 18 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back