OP
Poseidon

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not an update of the current tank, but I was going through some old pictures, and found these:

1D2N2525-L.jpg

And one of those precious moments:
end%20shot-L.jpg

Hopefully the new tank grows in QUICKLY, and I can capture more of these expressions while the kids are still young.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Poseidon

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A quick update for documentation.

Last week I did a 20 gallon water change on Tuesday, then another 5 on Thursday. I also sucked out some algae that is growing on the sandbed, in lower light areas. It ALMOST looks like GHA, but not. LOL

Today I did a thorough clean on the skimmer, 5 gallon bucket with a gallon of vinegar clean! :D It seems to be running much better so far.

I also moved the chaeto from the last chamber in my sump, to the first. The reason is the amount of "other" algae that is growing on my top off floats, I don't want to chance that causing an issue. I also stopped into a local "garden" store, looking for LED's that were red only... no luck there. LOTS of halides though. LOL!

OP
OP
Poseidon

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another documentation post.

Put system into standby, prepared food, watched everything eat, timer expires, return pump fails to turn back on. ARGH!!!! Take pump apart, no rust this time but the impeller is certainly stuck. I free the impeller and put it all back together and find water on the floor... in my hurry to fix the pump I didn't drain the final chamber far enough and made a mess.

Get the mess cleaned up, and notice the skimmer not working. Take skimmer apart, find Chaeato in the impeller, put pump back together no moving. Take pump apart, check bushings, put pump back together no work.... Third times the charm. Finally.. it works.

Put hand on return pump, its running much warmer then normal, it is not hot... but warmer then it was. I'm going to break something if I keep at it tonight, I'll take the pump (Piece of crap, this is my THIRD one.) back apart tomorrow.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Man I love that photo of your daughter and the tank! I must share!

OP
OP
Poseidon

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back at the return pump this morning, soaked the impeller in vinegar for about 30 minutes, then put it all back together.
ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1364659674.130168.jpg

Also while I had the final chamber drained, I cleaned it out.
ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1364659751.649953.jpg

The pump is still running much hotter then it did though. I'll send an email off to reef flo and see what they say.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

Last edited:
OP
OP
Poseidon

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today must be work on the tank day:
ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1364676677.229264.jpg

Before.

ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1364676701.998507.jpg

After.

I smashed a couple very large rocks to make rubble. The new rubble sections take up less space, and give a few more inches in the sump for a future skimmer upgrade.

I also added these:
ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1364676821.485674.jpg

The mangroves are attached to the egg crate panel on the left. This is my first attempt at keeping them.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

chort55

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feel free to come clean my sump anytime Mike. Looks good! hopefully Reeflo will get you a properly working pump someday lol

OP
OP
Poseidon

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feel free to come clean my sump anytime Mike. Looks good! hopefully Reeflo will get you a properly working pump someday lol

LOL! I think I'll pass, this tank has only been running 3 months in its current location, I was surprised at the detritus down there.

Yeah mangroves! Love them, can't wait to see the corals grow out on this tank.

I have plans for the mangroves! I am thinking of a finished look gravity fed separate container next to the tank. Ideally, it will look like a "house plant" next to the tank. This method will give me more greenery in the house, and add another level of conversation pieces to the tank.

At the same time I added the mangroves, I also added a rather significant clean up crew from Reefcleaners. There are about 3-4 different varieties of snails in the package, some are TINY. My daughter counted 42 on the front glass last night... hopefully they spread out a bit around the tank! LOL!!!

Another thing I am finding, my sump is a 30 long, and it is TINY!!!! It has been a long time since I have had to be concerned with space in the sump. My last set up had either a 100 gallon rubbermaid, OR dual sumps, the 30 long was previously used exclusively for a refugium, with algae and rock. I also had either a 50 breeder, OR a 45 gallon tank to hold my heater and skimmer. Trying to get all that in just the 30 long stinks!

OP
OP
Poseidon

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

LOL! I think I'll pass, this tank has only been running 3 months in its current location, I was surprised at the detritus down there.

Yeah mangroves! Love them, can't wait to see the corals grow out on this tank.

I have plans for the mangroves! I am thinking of a finished look gravity fed separate container next to the tank. Ideally, it will look like a "house plant" next to the tank. This method will give me more greenery in the house, and add another level of conversation pieces to the tank.

At the same time I added the mangroves, I also added a rather significant clean up crew from Reefcleaners. There are about 3-4 different varieties of snails in the package, some are TINY. My daughter counted 42 on the front glass last night... hopefully they spread out a bit around the tank! LOL!!!

Another thing I am finding, my sump is a 30 long, and it is TINY!!!! It has been a long time since I have had to be concerned with space in the sump. My last set up had either a 100 gallon rubbermaid, OR dual sumps, the 30 long was previously used exclusively for a refugium, with algae and rock. I also had either a 50 breeder, OR a 45 gallon tank to hold my heater and skimmer. Trying to get all that in just the 30 long stinks!

chort55

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I feel your pain Mike, I am running a 20 long, from a 100g rubbermaid w/30cube fuge.... which is why I ended up getting rid of my old skimmer, but I don't think a skimmer switch will free up nearly as much space for you as it did me LOL

OP
OP
Poseidon

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, you know EXACTLY how I feel!

You are correct, your skimmer was a monster, I am surprised it even fit in that 20L.

OP
OP
Poseidon

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, you know EXACTLY how I feel!

You are correct, your skimmer was a monster, I am surprised it even fit in that 20L.

OP
OP
Poseidon

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
25 gallon Water change done!

Last water change I used Aqua Craft salt, it mixed up clear in minutes. This time I used Reef Crystals... Both mixes were brought to 1.025 over the course of an hour or so, by adding a little, then a little more... etc. Both mixes were then allowed to mix overnight, with a MAG 5.

Last change, all corals stayed open, this change my few paly's and zoa's closed up.

Last change the tank stayed crystal clear, this change the tank is hazy.

Looks like I may have to switch salts. ;)

chort55

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's weird Mike... I have used RC for years and my acros don't mind. I mix it with a modded maxi-jet in a 5g bucket for about 10 minutes and change it out, don't heat it up or anything and have never had an issue and acro PE stays as it was. I usually just do 10-15g at a time tho. Regardless if you switch I will definitely need to see some longer term results ;)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back