OP
Poseidon

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you have to drill a hole in the side to move the air out or was simply just moving the air around enough to cool it?

I have several small holes in the back already, 2 1" holes for misc. power cords, and the two larger holes for the PVC going in and out from the back. I am hoping that is enough to allow the hot air out.

Nice, I had to add a fan to my sump closet as well.

Thanks! Tank is currently holding at 76.7, I hope this does the trick, as the price was right.... FREE!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good hope it stays constant for you bud!

Chameleon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like my reef hot...I run it 78 as a minimum (80 is the norm)...any particular reason you prefer lower? have you had bad experiences with higher temps? Everything is looking great BTW

OP
OP
Poseidon

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good hope it stays constant for you bud!

So far so good! Tank temp is currently 75, I guess that means I better check my heater. LOL

I like my reef hot...I run it 78 as a minimum (80 is the norm)...any particular reason you prefer lower? have you had bad experiences with higher temps? Everything is looking great BTW

I prefer a tank a bit on the cooler side, there is a greater margin of error in case something goes haywire. Also, I think it is a holdover from when I had the basement sump, it actually cost quite a bit more to heat the tank to 78 from a 60 degree basement. LOL

Yesterday I did another 25 gallon water change, and have started dosing DIY 2 part, well the Alk part anyway. I have a "bad" batch of RC that I just finished. The Ca was testing greater then 500, and the Alk about 6, so out of balance. Right now I am adding 1/2 cup of the Baked Baking soda mix every other day. When the Alk is stable at 8 or 9 I will have to figure out demand and dose accordingly.

My ATO is currently non-functional, float switch died. I am manually adding twice a day now, I can't spend 6.99 for the switch, and 9.99 for shipping... I'll wait till I need something else. (Which I am sure won't be long.)

Overall the tank is doing well, I see growth on several pieces, including an ACAN! WOW!!!! (That is huge for me, I have never been able to grow these things.) My piece has 4 large mommy polyps, and is now surrounded by a ring of babies. Woo hoooo!

OP
OP
Poseidon

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today's view from the couch:
ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1368565459.751119.jpg

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

chort55

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good Mike, but you need to move the couch for a more direct view instead of having to turn your head ;)

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice view!!

OP
OP
Poseidon

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update, last weekend I added a Diamond goby to help with a minor algae outbreak I had on the gravel... Well he did a fine of job at keeping the tank a bit cloudy, and keeping all the algae at bay. Tonight, I can't find him. :(

I cleaned the skimmer cup, and checked out the progress on the Mangroves, and I am getting some really good root extension on 2 of the 5, I may have to move those 2 into a pot soon.

I am still battling that hair algae in the lower light areas on my rock work as well. All in all the tank is doing pretty well since the move.

chort55

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update, last weekend I added a Diamond goby to help with a minor algae outbreak I had on the gravel... Well he did a fine of job at keeping the tank a bit cloudy, and keeping all the algae at bay. Tonight, I can't find him. :(

I cleaned the skimmer cup, and checked out the progress on the Mangroves, and I am getting some really good root extension on 2 of the 5, I may have to move those 2 into a pot soon.

I am still battling that hair algae in the lower light areas on my rock work as well. All in all the tank is doing pretty well since the move.

Glad to hear things are going good with the tank Mike :) Hopefully your goby will pop back up somewhere and keep the sand clean! I have been thinking about getting one myself but not sure I want to deal with all the sand floating around and getting dropped on my acros again lol

OP
OP
Poseidon

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diamond Goby found!! I looked for at least 10 minutes last night, this morning he's right out front doing his thing. I knew the tank would be a bit cloudy for a while, but it's starting to bug me now. :(

I moved a couple rocks around on the right side, it looks much better I think.

chort55

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diamond Goby found!! I looked for at least 10 minutes last night, this morning he's right out front doing his thing. I knew the tank would be a bit cloudy for a while, but it's starting to bug me now. :(

I moved a couple rocks around on the right side, it looks much better I think.

A blessing and a curse at the same time LOL Glad he is still alive and kickin although sometimes they definitely get annoying clouding up the tank. I think thats the only reason I have been able to hold off on getting another.

Ummm wheres the pic Mike, you can't make changes and then not follow with a pic :(

Chameleon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good. Also, do you have a filter sock? Back when I had a goby it helped tremendously with cloudiness. Might want to check ebay for those float switches, some vendors have free shipping and you can get multiple float switches for less than $10 last time I checked. You can have back ups on had that way.

Zoanut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Mike, its going to sound strange but i met you when you worked at RP a few years back! Glad to see your still in this, you were a joy to talk too back then.

Jer519

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Mike a thing that i have found with my diamond is he will borrow under the rocks. He will dig a nice hole out move in and then fill the hole up, kinda trapping himself in. I have found that thats when the most sand gets kicked up also cause he uses his tail to move it all. Not sure if its what yours is doing but thought i would just throw the idea out there so you can look for it.

OP
OP
Poseidon

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, its been a busy month! My "minor" algae outbreak on the sand has turned into a full blown Cyano problem. I have done 2 25 gallon water changes over the last month, and I have physically removed the cyano several times by removing the top layer of gravel from the system. I will be doing another round of water changes, and a thorough gravel cleaning this weekend.

I have reduced feeding, and tried a 2 day lights out routine as well. The Cyano still comes back. After these next 2 changes, and gravel vac, I may resort to chemical eradication, getting sick of this crap.

Chameleon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your cyano issues. I guess that is part of the joy of establishing a new tank. Sometimes outbreaks just need to run their course. Good luck with it

OP
OP
Poseidon

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
25 gallon water change was done Saturday night, after a great day at the zoo with my kids!
1D2N0379-L.jpg

The TIGERS! Wow, they were active and very cooperative.

Sunday afternoon, we the cyano was back... like a flippin' carpet. :(

I just finished a second 25 gallon change. With both changes I did a significant gravel cleaning. Tonight, I am adding a second light to the sump, and will be going to a 24 hour ON to see if I can encourage the cyano to grow somewhere else for a while, until I can eradicate it.

I've dealt with nuisance algae before, but this is CRAZY!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 62 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.2%
Back