OP
Poseidon

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried something similar. I removed a couple rocks, scrubbed them with a toothbrush that was dipped in 50/50 tank water and H2O2. It worked on those rocks, but I can't do that on the sand. I tried dosing 1mL to 10 gallons of water to the tank, no effect. :(

Eric B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only time I had a cyno outbreak was due to poor flow in that area of the tank. Once I fixed that issue the cyno went away in a few days on its own so might want to try that.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's a great photo!

OP
OP
Poseidon

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy cow, life has had me busy this summer!

The tank is up, and running, but I am battling a really NASTY Cyano type algae, I say "type" because it isn't typical cyano, it is reddish in color, and grows VERY fast, but it grows EVERYWHERE. Hi flow, Low flow, HIGH light (600 PAR+) and low light, (less then 50). Nitrates and Phosphates test Zero, but they have to be there. Corals are growing pretty well, and color is good.

So far, I have tried manual removal, frequent large water changes (25 gallons weekly), Chemiclean, additional bacteria products (BioActiv 8), 3 days of lights out, and I am now on to a PO4 removal product. (Phos Guard by SeaChem, I know... I wanted to go with a GFO, but that wasn't very budget friendly, and I have read some bad results with SPS.)

This algae started about mid June, and it has progressively gotten worse. :(

I'll get the good camera out later, the iPhone camera just doesn't cut it with my LEDS.

OP
OP
Poseidon

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy cow, life has had me busy this summer!

The tank is up, and running, but I am battling a really NASTY Cyano type algae, I say "type" because it isn't typical cyano, it is reddish in color, and grows VERY fast, but it grows EVERYWHERE. Hi flow, Low flow, HIGH light (600 PAR+) and low light, (less then 50). Nitrates and Phosphates test Zero, but they have to be there. Corals are growing pretty well, and color is good.

So far, I have tried manual removal, frequent large water changes (25 gallons weekly), Chemiclean, additional bacteria products (BioActiv 8), 3 days of lights out, and I am now on to a PO4 removal product. (Phos Guard by SeaChem, I know... I wanted to go with a GFO, but that wasn't very budget friendly, and I have read some bad results with SPS.)

This algae started about mid June, and it has progressively gotten worse. :(

I'll get the good camera out later, the iPhone camera just doesn't cut it with my LEDS.

Chameleon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any idea where the nutrients are coming from? good luck getting the cyano to subside. Maybe try getting some very established live rock from a healthy tank and stick it in the sump. I have combated relentless algae this way. my guess is the tank got a bacterial imbalance and now is a algae driven tank in terms of nutrients instead of bacterial driven. I have seen the best cure for this is to replace current live rock with established rock or supplement current rock with established rock.

by replacing the old live rock you will combat the issue in two ways: removal of algae and introduction of good balanced bacteria.
by supplementing the existing live rock it may not be as effective because the new live rock must out compete the algae to make the tank bacterially driven again.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Poseidon

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any idea where the nutrients are coming from? good luck getting the cyano to subside. Maybe try getting some very established live rock from a healthy tank and stick it in the sump. I have combated relentless algae this way. my guess is the tank got a bacterial imbalance and now is a algae driven tank in terms of nutrients instead of bacterial driven. I have seen the best cure for this is to replace current live rock with established rock or supplement current rock with established rock.

by replacing the old live rock you will combat the issue in two ways: removal of algae and introduction of good balanced bacteria.
by supplementing the existing live rock it may not be as effective because the new live rock must out compete the algae to make the tank bacterially driven again.

That makes some sense to me. I did notice a decrease in Algae when I was adding a LOT of bacteria. Since the addition of the PO4 remover, the regrowth seems to be slowing down.

Beautiful stand!!

Thanks! I made it! :D :D :D

OP
OP
Poseidon

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The algae is still growing, I changed out the PhosGuard for a fresh cup worth tonight. I have been blowing the rock work, and sand clean of most of the algae almost every night. The growth rate is decreasing, to my eyes anyway.

OP
OP
Poseidon

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1379982268.327385.jpg

Here's a quick iPhone pic, you can see the red stuff. It is still growing but not as fast. I'm going to swirl around the gravel and blow it off the rocks again.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Poseidon

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, where does the time go?

Time for an update! The tank is really coming into its own now, the cyano is GONE, the corals are growing, and the fish are fat and happy. I took the time to get the good camera out, sat down in Lightroom, and actually took some pretty decent pictures. I still need to figure out the LED photography, I can get the color right, but I tend to blow the highlights pretty bad.

After a recent trip to Reef Paradise (The Blue Glow), I decided to really decrease the white LED channel. I am noticing a DRASTIC increase in color saturation in some pieces, and it has only been a week.

Ok, on to the images:

OP
OP
Poseidon

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sure am. My peak is now at 80% Blue, and 35% White, with a gradual fade up and down over about 12 hours. There is about 2 hours at the beginning, and end that the light is less than 30% total between the white and blue channels, so I am really at 8 hours of "reef level" lighting.

OP
OP
Poseidon

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't wait for the SPS to grow in, I think the structure will really compliment the tonga branch rock.

OP
OP
Poseidon

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, this is the first post with a NEW light. Well, an old light, I traded my Reef Breeder LED for a 250W PFO pendant and galaxy selectable ballast. (250W, HQI, 400W, and "Turbo")

I don't like the bulb that was included in the trade, not even a little. I was planning on a Phoenix, or a Radium anyway, which I am going to buy this week.

Once I get the "proper" bulb, I am going to decide on supplementation. I am going to add blue, whether that is LED or T5, I haven't decided yet. I am leaning towards the T5, mostly because I already have a ballast and end caps for T5 bulbs. Blue Plus is my choice, I was thinking a pair of them.

Once I straighten up my install, I will post some pictures. One thing that is FOR CERTAIN, I really missed the shimmer/glimmer lines that a halide bulb can produce. :D :D :D

Back