OP
Poseidon

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, things are still moving. I liked the look of the LED, but not the growth I was getting from my SPS.

OP
OP
Poseidon

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long time no update... I made an addition to the lighting. :D

Here it is:

Heat sink cut to size, LED placement marked out. The holes are for the wires to the LEDs.

My "chimney" idea. This gives the hot air a vertical exit, and a horizontal input, convection should draw air along the cooling fin.

The cooling fin. ;)

The LED and reflector for it.

All wired up!

HOLY CRAP! That is REALLY Bright!

I left the reflectors off on one side, I wanted to see the difference. In this image you can clearly see that difference, The spread is better without the optic, of course, but there is way to much spill into the room. :( I'll end up adding the reflectors to this side tonight.

Next up is a decision on control, and I have to rotate my halide 90 degrees in order to get the best spread from both the halide and the new LED's. I will get the good camera out once the mess is cleaned up. ;)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dang that's cool bro!

You need to get your butt to posting coral photos again!

OP
OP
Poseidon

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking build!

Thanks! I can't believe how big of a difference those 4 LED's make, I just added the second set of reflectors, and from my chair, I can barely see the LED's at all, but in the tank, HOLY COW!

Dang that's cool bro!

You need to get your butt to posting coral photos again!

Thanks Rev!

The tank is really coming along, and I have some pretty nice pieces of SPS in there now, but they are all still frags. I've been dosing an ounce of the DIY Alk part, daily now, and I am getting some serious growth from some pieces, and some encrusting from some others.

All told, I think I have found my favorite combo, 20K Radium, with Luxeon LED, WOW!

OP
OP
Poseidon

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are a couple full tank and stand shots, that extension cord is short term, until I figure out the controller for the LED's.

These pics are pretty darn close to what I see with my eye when I look at the tank. I really think this is my favorite light so far, and I have had a lot since I started in this hobby. :D

OP
OP
Poseidon

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! It is all tonga branch, it was all dead rock when I started. I am hoping that as the SPS grow, it will make for a very pretty display.

OP
OP
Poseidon

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The "last" ok "most recent" part of the puzzle:

Front of the board.

Back of the board.

I soldered a jumper on the back of the board because the LDD ground coming from the project box is a single wire. (Soldered a jumper in there too.)

I didn't expect this, but the O2Surplus board fades in when power is applied, neat touch. ;) The price was certainly right, for $17 + Shipping, I have a simple 4 channel dimmer. Right now I have left and right on separate channels, but I can always put them on a single if I need too.

Now, on to the violets.... :D

Chameleon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice little manual pwm board you got there...mind sharing where you got it from...I see it was designed by O2Surplus

OP
OP
Poseidon

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[video=youtube;HEpSJq61H1E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEpSJq61H1E[/video]

A quick video update, the tank is looking really good to me today! :D :D :D

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking great man! We need some photos too!

OP
OP
Poseidon

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Photos?

Time for a photo update, these were all taken yesterday. I am so happy to be back to halides, it is so much easier to match the color to my eye than it is with Blue heavy LED!

War Coral

Pink Lemon Aid. (Grows like a WEED!)

Red Planet. Growing well here, but color has faded a lot. I think it prefers much lower PAR than what it is getting here.

Rasta's, Blue Stag, and some really slow growing Zoa that is BRIGHT BRIGHT ORANGE/RED!

My last Anthias, I think she is turning to a he. I would really like to add more, but lately the females have been as much as the males at the LFS. These fish used to be $24-$30, now they are $50+!?

GARF Bonsai from Beaker Bob. I am so happy this is doing so well.

Pink Sticky Punch, Hell Boy, and something from Cherry Corals, some sort of PE.

Red Chalice, also from Bob. I am not sure the name, but it is RED. I am not getting much growth, too much light?

OP
OP
Poseidon

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Green Duncan from Tom, from an MMMC meeting. This was 2 heads.

Acan's from Skyhigh and Detroit Coral Farm

Another Chalice, I am trying to hide this one in a shadow. More Acans, and a Red Dragon visible. Trying to find a sweet spot for it, that coral I hear like low light and good flow.

Full tank from the right side.

Full tank from the front.

Full tank from the left.

OP
OP
Poseidon

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last one:

My view from standing in front of the tank, at my usual viewing angle. I am pretty happy with this so far, I can't wait to get more consistent growth.

OP
OP
Poseidon

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A quick documentation post, I changed the PhosGuard and Carbon, yesterday. I also removed the filter pad from the return chamber.

Tank observations are good, everything is growing well, mostly encrusting. Zoa's are paly's are ever expanding. I talked with Marc from Melev's Reef, and my "chambers" are scheduled for delivery this week. I am going to round up the fittings that I expect I will need to make one into a Kalk reactor, and the other into a CaRX.

OP
OP
Poseidon

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, here is my latest near DIY project. I started with a very nice container from Melev's Reef:

The clamps are there to hold the lid tightly to the flange on the chamber for drilling.

All drilled!
Feet were added:

Gasket was closed cell foam from JoAnn fabric, $1.49:

Lid Trial fitting:

Marks for drilling the input and output:

Drilled:

Tapped and fittings added:

Leak testing:

1.25" Hole in the side, this was scary. Drilling a hole this large in the reactor side was a do or die for the reactor, I went very slow. The hole is not as clean as I would have liked, and it required some careful cleanup.

YAY!

2 hole drilled, uni seals in place, and plumbing done!

More leak testing, this time with the mix pump running:

Finally:

Chameleon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice job on the kalk stirrer! It looks great. I'd suggest swapping them steel bolts/screws with some nylon ones to prevent any rust. Love the closed cell foam gasket.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 19 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 156 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back