Possible Brookylnella outbreak

amccue0504

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just had a suspected Brookylnella outbreak in my 75 gallon reef tank with two clownfish, one tang, one royal gramma, and a salt sifting gobie. Also have a cleaner shrimp, a couple of turbo snails and two conch snails. My first question is how on earth did the parasite get in the tank - tank is 5 months old and I haven't added anything EXCEPT corals during the last few weeks.

I have been staying on top of water testing and tank salinity is 1.026 consistently.
Nitrates are 10
0.03 phosphate
temp 79.

Last week, I noticed the royal gramma scratching on the sand flashing and darting and I suspected ick. I didn't see anything on him at the time, then the clownfish was dead a few days later. Can corals introduce parasites into a tank???

Second question is: it seems the gobie is the only fish that is unaffected by this and if he survives - how can I ever add any more fish to the tank? Ideally, it should be fallow for 6 weeks at least. I don't have anywhere to put the gobie to treat it. My quarantine tank has a healthy Bangaii cardinalfish in it that was waiting to go into the 75 gallon tank. What is the suggested action to take? Will the parasite forever be in the tank as long as he is in it and can parasites survive on corals?

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just had a suspected Brookylnella outbreak in my 75 gallon reef tank with two clownfish, one tang, one royal gramma, and a salt sifting gobie. Also have a cleaner shrimp, a couple of turbo snails and two conch snails. My first question is how on earth did the parasite get in the tank - tank is 5 months old and I haven't added anything EXCEPT corals during the last few weeks.

I have been staying on top of water testing and tank salinity is 1.026 consistently.
Nitrates are 10
0.03 phosphate
temp 79.

Last week, I noticed the royal gramma scratching on the sand flashing and darting and I suspected ick. I didn't see anything on him at the time, then the clownfish was dead a few days later. Can corals introduce parasites into a tank???

Second question is: it seems the gobie is the only fish that is unaffected by this and if he survives - how can I ever add any more fish to the tank? Ideally, it should be fallow for 6 weeks at least. I don't have anywhere to put the gobie to treat it. My quarantine tank has a healthy Bangaii cardinalfish in it that was waiting to go into the 75 gallon tank. What is the suggested action to take? Will the parasite forever be in the tank as long as he is in it and can parasites survive on corals?
Brooklynella (and other diseases) can be introduced into a tank via coral. However, that disease mostly infects wild caught clownfish (and sometimes royal gramma) but the symptoms are pretty definitive; white mucus streaming off of the fish in sheets. This could be flukes (as evidenced by the gramma flashing). Did the clownfish show any symptoms prior to dying? Rapid breathing, cloudy white skin, etc.?

I wouldn't move any new fish into this tank until you've gotten a handle on what's going on. If you think it could be flukes, Prazipro (with good aeration) can be dosed in a reef tank without too much trouble for the inverts. Brooklynella, velvet and ich can't really be treated well in the display, and you would be better off waiting for things to "cool down". That would take a minimum of 45 days, and 6 weeks to be extra sure.

Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
amccue0504

amccue0504

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2305.JPG

Brooklynella (and other diseases) can be introduced into a tank via coral. However, that disease mostly infects wild caught clownfish (and sometimes royal gramma) but the symptoms are pretty definitive; white mucus streaming off of the fish in sheets. This could be flukes (as evidenced by the gramma flashing). Did the clownfish show any symptoms prior to dying? Rapid breathing, cloudy white skin, etc.?

I wouldn't move any new fish into this tank until you've gotten a handle on what's going on. If you think it could be flukes, Prazipro (with good aeration) can be dosed in a reef tank without too much trouble for the inverts. Brooklynella, velvet and ich can't really be treated well in the display, and you would be better off waiting for things to "cool down". That would take a minimum of 45 days, and 6 weeks to be extra sure.

Jay
Thanks Jay! I did actually attach a photo of the clownfish that had something on him.... no stringiness though but rapid breathing for sure and the spots (not ick) splotchy spotting. Is Paraguard effective in a QT situation? I do have that on hand. I have had the royal gramma and the clownfish for about 4 months... does it show up that much later after them being in the tank and being fine?

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2305.JPG

Thanks Jay! I did actually attach a photo of the clownfish that had something on him.... no stringiness though but rapid breathing for sure and the spots (not ick) splotchy spotting. Is Paraguard effective in a QT situation? I do have that on hand. I have had the royal gramma and the clownfish for about 4 months... does it show up that much later after them being in the tank and being fine?
That does look like Brooklynella. Copper won't help much. Formalin is the best treatment, but Ruby Reef Rally Pro dips have helped some folks. Paraguard is an aldehyde mixed with a dye (like malachite green). The aldehyde is related to formaldehyde. I've never had it work for marine ich and I've never used it on Brooklynella, but it might work.

Jay

Upvote 0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back