Possible Divorce Frag Build

Current State:

In process of tearing down all tanks and putting things in tanks in the house.

One tank down and one to go.

IMG_7678.JPG

Last edited:

maugustine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, excuse the mess. Doing this in my little mini barn for the mowers and such, as there is no room in the garage or in the fish barn.

Built a stand for it. Just a basic 2x4 stand. No shift or wobble, but is still going to be wrapped on 3 sides with 3/4” oak plywood. This should stiffen it up even more. Still have to get the plywood for that, the top and the sump area.

Also did the plumbing and realized I forgot a union for the emergency drain lol. At least that is super simple to add.

Changed up the return piping as well. Used a tee and 3 unions, instead of the compression tee. Had them in a drawer, so why not? Also used an old check valve I had. Tested it and it worked. I will also have siphon holes drilled into the lock line at a hair below water height. Better safe then sorry.

The return piping is some 1” spa flex I had, which will work out nice and allow me to use the simplicity pump with the adaptor that is on it. I figure with only as little head pressure as this will have and it being the biggest one they make, 30% should be enough for a frag tank. Most of the flow will be from the gyres.

OK, now for some pics.

again, ignore the mess lol. And yes, I used a foam cooler to mock up the piping lol. Same width as a 33 gallon, but slightly shorter. Worked great and is easier to move than a glass tank.

E1EF3F41-1369-4132-8489-B6541320AA23.jpeg
0A00EEEC-A0D0-4968-B6AE-E8540A9D0F73.jpeg
How did you learn how to build all this? I have a 90 gallon Red Sea that was built for me.. I won’t love to try and build a my own frag tank.. is there a reef tank building for dummies? You are so talented.. looks awesome

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you learn how to build all this? I have a 90 gallon Red Sea that was built for me.. I won’t love to try and build a my own frag tank.. is there a reef tank building for dummies? You are so talented.. looks awesome
@Joe Glass Cages and team built the tank years ago. The stand and plumbing is just from growing up on a working farm. We ain’t gonna pay anyone to do something we can figure out how to do. Lol.

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Joe Glass Cages and team built the tank years ago. The stand and plumbing is just from growing up on a working farm. We ain’t gonna pay anyone to do something we can figure out how to do. Lol.
If I can do it why should I pay someone else lol

I actually looked into having someone build me a stand. Nothing fancy. After hearing the price I was like nope. I can do it. And I did. I am happy-ish with it. It worked when I had the smaller sump. But now with the bigger sump I need a bigger stand.

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if I can pay someone to do something that cost less than my triple time rate, then I do.
my play time is very valuable. :cool:
Would have taken them weeks to get to it and took me a few hours well worth it

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would have taken them weeks to get to it and took me a few hours well worth it
I don’t like building tanks. Stands, I will build all day long. My 180s both have steel stands. The macro and frag tank have a wood stand.

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back home. Got to meet @fishguy242 and @Smirkish.

Puppies are now at forever home and headed back with Frank to forever home and other forever home.

Truck unloaded. Corals and fish all in qt.

Frank brought me some gifts. Much appreciated.

May have lost the grape caulerpa on way back up. Chiller for cooler got unplugged and temp got a little to hot. Smells like way low tide at a jetty, but it may bounce back. Honestly no worse than what it goes through where I harvested it. 100 degrees, out of water for the tide and baking. Graciliria looks like it is ok though.

Hope it pulls through, as I want Frank to have some and a few others. If not, I am going back in October. Will be down a kid, the one that forgot and unplugged it for his phone charger to go in it lol. Can’t pick on him to much. He fells really bad about it, as his decorator crab died in the process.

All blennies, gobies and the scorpion fish are alive. Their chiller didn’t miss a lick.

Pics tomorrow, as was up at 4am, drove back, delivered fluff balls and now need sleep lol.

Bo.

Impatient as always
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back home. Got to meet @fishguy242 and @Smirkish.

Puppies are now at forever home and headed back with Frank to forever home and other forever home.

Truck unloaded. Corals and fish all in qt.

Frank brought me some gifts. Much appreciated.

May have lost the grape caulerpa on way back up. Chiller for cooler got unplugged and temp got a little to hot. Smells like way low tide at a jetty, but it may bounce back. Honestly no worse than what it goes through where I harvested it. 100 degrees, out of water for the tide and baking. Graciliria looks like it is ok though.

Hope it pulls through, as I want Frank to have some and a few others. If not, I am going back in October. Will be down a kid, the one that forgot and unplugged it for his phone charger to go in it lol. Can’t pick on him to much. He fells really bad about it, as his decorator crab died in the process.

All blennies, gobies and the scorpion fish are alive. Their chiller didn’t miss a lick.

Pics tomorrow, as was up at 4am, drove back, delivered fluff balls and now need sleep lol.
koi me the horizon GIF

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back