Possible Divorce Frag Build

Current State:

In process of tearing down all tanks and putting things in tanks in the house.

One tank down and one to go.

IMG_7678.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I absolutely love panther groupers, so much personality! Great choice. :)
What I like, is they keep it when they get big. Had one years ago and I miss the guy. Almost like puffers in regards to individual personality.

DiefsReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a while since I updated.

Macro tubs outside are now gone. Starting to get too cold.
Macro was thinned out locally and a slight restart of what I will be growing has changed.
Sump under 7' macro changed to a tub, so I can do cheato under it on a reverse light cycle.
Mangroves move to a bucket for now.
Large mess made lol.

Still have to sort it all out and figure out what I am exactly going to do. Have a massive order from Gulf Coast Ecosystems coming tomorrow, so got to figure it out quicky.

Also added a single fish to the macro growout. A 2" panther grouper. Like a little puppy dog at this point. Comes to the glass as soon as I walk up and has to be the easiest fish I have ever QT'd. Figured would let him grow up a little in here, as I have to reseal the 500, which will be his forever home.

tempImageDxE27V.png

tempImageAW03UJ.png
Beautiful fish! Wish I could have one :( I'll have to watch him grow in your tank ;)

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had the appropriate size, there would 100% be a panther in my tank. I'm excited to watch it grow with you!
Will stay in the macro tank until about 5-6”. Anything smaller than that and my Achilles would go crazy. It hates small things lol.

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, havent even got everything cleaned up yet and now have 40 or so bags of macros, gorgs and other assorted things sitting in the tank to temp acclimate. The amount of macro in each bag is insane. Tons of it.

Bags on top of bags and some on other half of tank lol.

tempImage4S0hrw.png

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slowly getting there. Got to have the entire fish barn done tomorrow before 10, as have to head to airport and fly to Boston.

Gonna be a long night.

Got to change out lights, even out sand, clean up, clean frag tank, fill all ATO containers and hook up 2 more apex units lol.
F9C5D6D9-4D8E-4023-A486-58DCC3177FDF.jpeg

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you have some experience with mangroves. I received one in a shipment that had the head snapped off where the growth tips were. I put it in the water anyways and since then I've got nodules on the roots where it looks like new roots are starting to grow from. Do you know if the growth tips will also regrow or is this thing good as dead now?
PXL_20211022_162534169.jpg
PXL_20211022_162528127.jpg

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you have some experience with mangroves. I received one in a shipment that had the head snapped off where the growth tips were. I put it in the water anyways and since then I've got nodules on the roots where it looks like new roots are starting to grow from. Do you know if the growth tips will also regrow or is this thing good as dead now?
PXL_20211022_162534169.jpg
PXL_20211022_162528127.jpg
It should regrow, just very slowly. I have quite a few in the macro tank that were broken. Just keep blasting it with light, as the green part of the stalk is the same as leaves for generating energy.

If for some reason it does not, I will send you some of my pods that are rooted and starting to build the leaf bud.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should regrow, just very slowly. I have quite a few in the macro tank that were broken. Just keep blasting it with light, as the green part of the stalk is the same as leaves for generating energy.

If for some reason it does not, I will send you some of my pods that are rooted and starting to build the leaf bud.
Good to know and thank you. The frag tank where it lives is currently on a reduced light diet due to a dino outbreak. Maybe I'll move it up and hang it on the overflow of the nem tank which just got new Red Sea LED gear this week.

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know and thank you. The frag tank where it lives is currently on a reduced light diet due to a dino outbreak. Maybe I'll move it up and hang it on the overflow of the nem tank which just got new Red Sea LED gear this week.
You can buy a small plant grow light and then a small clip on to put the bulb in. Focus it on the mangrove and it should eliminate any light bleed into the tank. Mangroves loves light and the more they get, the faster they sprout and grow.

Or move under the red sea works as well.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can buy a small plant grow light and then a small clip on to put the bulb in. Focus it on the mangrove and it should eliminate any light bleed into the tank. Mangroves loves light and the more they get, the faster they sprout and grow.

Or move under the red sea works as well.
You should know me by now, I wouldn't have to buy any plant grow lights. I've got a primary set of LED quantum boards from 720 watts all the way down to 20. A secondary set of the exact same sizes with different heat sinks, and half a dozen assorted lights for germination and supplemental during flower.

Do you know if they would prefer a more blue or more red spectrum during this growth phase?

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should know me by now, I wouldn't have to buy any plant grow lights. I've got a primary set of LED quantum boards from 720 watts all the way down to 20. A secondary set of the exact same sizes with different heat sinks, and half a dozen assorted lights for germination and supplemental during flower.
Hehe.

Sadly I have about 10-11 gro lights just laying around. Only used for macros though, but if things keep going like they are going, I will have a garden in the garage. Veggies at the store are crazy priced. Only so much one can take of all canned veggies. (Like real canning, and not that crap in a tin can lol)

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need more mangrove info. When I move the nems to my lagoon I think I'd like to grow a few along the back wall. How deep of water should they be in? Should they be in sand? Etc. Consider me a mangrove virgin...

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need more mangrove info. When I move the nems to my lagoon I think I'd like to grow a few along the back wall. How deep of water should they be in? Should they be in sand? Etc. Consider me a mangrove virgin...
Depends on how long the pod is, as to how deep they need to be. You want some part of the pod out of the water, but they do not have to actually out of the water. If that makes sense lol.

In my macro tank, I have pods under the water and above the water. Theones under the water are directly under the lights to allow for the pod to get more light, as it is under water.

For sand, they do not need it. You can clip them to the side of the tank and they will grow roots down until they reach sand or a rock. Just remember, if you let them grow on a rock, you will damage the plant if you try to remove it. Once those roots grab a rock, they hold on lol.

In reality, I like the roots to have to grow down to the sand. That is how you get cool root structures to form. Starting out, I like to have them in the sand, so I can shove a flourish tab bit (break off a tiny piece) in the sand near the pod. This allows the roots to form easily and gives the pod a little bit of easily accessible nutrients.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back