Possible lyngbya help needed

Rameez Akhtar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep looks exactly like it. Beautiful tank btw.
Thank you so much!
Here's a FTS
IMG_20221204_223023.jpg

Been running so good for years and then this! I also believe this produces toxins which inhibit growth of corals and coralline! For the last 1 year growth has halted and I have a huge CalRx.
My current plan is to carbon dose and lower nitrates to below 10. Also running GFO from last night to lower PO4 further. I don't mind it hitting 0. Then I will decide the next steps..
1. Cyano treatment
2. Azithromycin (as i am super frustrated at this point)
3. Major water change ($$$$$$)

Here are some more pics

IMG_20221204_223207.jpg

IMG_20221204_223325.jpg

IMG_20221204_223225.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20221204_223207.jpg
    IMG_20221204_223207.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 23

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much!
Here's a FTS
IMG_20221204_223023.jpg

Been running so good for years and then this! I also believe this produces toxins which inhibit growth of corals and coralline! For the last 1 year growth has halted and I have a huge CalRx.
My current plan is to carbon dose and lower nitrates to below 10. Also running GFO from last night to lower PO4 further. I don't mind it hitting 0. Then I will decide the next steps..
1. Cyano treatment
2. Azithromycin (as i am super frustrated at this point)
3. Major water change ($$$$$$)

Here are some more pics

IMG_20221204_223207.jpg

IMG_20221204_223325.jpg

IMG_20221204_223225.jpg
Do you have any major detritus build up anywhere? Sandbed?

OP
OP
L

Llorgon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just going through your post and I think I am having a similar thing going in my tank @Llorgon . For the last 1 year i am battling this.
I am posting a link for the thing I have. And funny enough i was also looking for a microscope just 10 minutes back!

I have put 3 samples in glass . One with flucanazole, Azithromycin and the third being the control.. later in the video i show my tank..and how the corals are affected...

Does that look similar to what you have?

My system is nearly 6 years old and strangely for me, my Nitrates are high around 40ppm and PO4 is 0.04ppm.
I also have a red cyano infestation in some of the walls of the aquarium.

Hey, I have some algae that looks like that, but most is darker green and thicker.

I've been noticing some improvements on my tank on the algae fight. I've been manually pulling it out nightly and I have kept my nutrients around 5-10 / 0.1ppm. I also added some more pods, been feeding live phyto and dosing some microbacter 7.

Unfortunately, I've lost all but 2 SPS. And I will most likely lose all my euphyllia. So it will be a near complete coral restart, but at least the algae is looking better?

Your tank looks great by the way!

Attachments

• PXL_20221015_212333813.jpg
    PXL_20221015_212333813.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 25
  • PXL_20221015_212418503.jpg
    PXL_20221015_212418503.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 33
  • PXL_20221203_220728680.jpg
    PXL_20221203_220728680.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 29

Rameez Akhtar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I have some algae that looks like that, but most is darker green and thicker.

I've been noticing some improvements on my tank on the algae fight. I've been manually pulling it out nightly and I have kept my nutrients around 5-10 / 0.1ppm. I also added some more pods, been feeding live phyto and dosing some microbacter 7.

Unfortunately, I've lost all but 2 SPS. And I will most likely lose all my euphyllia. So it will be a near complete coral restart, but at least the algae is looking better?

Seeing your picture under white light i thought I would also get few snaps so as to compare the two!
It is kinda slimy but not very and it has bubbles when the lights are on...

I have heard good things about adding MB7 and maybe I will try it soon. But I am waiting, because I might go on the cyano treatment route which I know will evidently kill the micro flora of the tank...

Also @Llorgon have you considered going for a cyano treatmen? Like maybe chemiclean or Blue life CyanoRX. I know people will say that it's best to not add these chemicals and I know that is true but sometimes you just get tired and the expenses adds up too!
So if you are willing , why not go for a cyano treatment and then a major water change after keeping the meds for 5 days... On the 5th day i turn the skimmer back on and let it skim most of the medicine in the morning and then do a 50% ish water change in the noon.
I have acroporas in the tank and I have done cyano treatment with great success. Just follow the instructions and dose it in the morning.

IMG_20221205_003828.jpg

IMG_20221205_003735.jpg

IMG_20221205_003758.jpg

Last edited:

Rameez Akhtar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
Do you have any major detritus build up anywhere? Sandbed?
I do.
I have a spot where there is a major dust like detritus build up and that area does not get much flow. I am thinking of blasting that area with a power filter or two...

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I

I do.
I have a spot where there is a major dust like detritus build up and that area does not get much flow. I am thinking of blasting that area with a power filter or two...
I think that could help and might be the answer.

Mine is finally starting to not grow back at all. What I think helped was removing the Fiji mud from my sump and refugium, adding heavy flow to the sump with a power head, and also I started dosing KZ bio-mate to (hopefully) eat some of the mulm that this Lyngbya seems to trap. around it.

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I can’t remember if you mentioned it, but have you tried vacuuming the sand as part of your regimen? Do you have a sump?

OP
OP
L

Llorgon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeing your picture under white light i thought I would also get few snaps so as to compare the two!
It is kinda slimy but not very and it has bubbles when the lights are on...

I have heard good things about adding MB7 and maybe I will try it soon. But I am waiting, because I might go on the cyano treatment route which I know will evidently kill the micro flora of the tank...

Also @Llorgon have you considered going for a cyano treatmen? Like maybe chemiclean or Blue life CyanoRX. I know people will say that it's best to not add these chemicals and I know that is true but sometimes you just get tired and the expenses adds up too!
So if you are willing , why not go for a cyano treatment and then a major water change after keeping the meds for 5 days... On the 5th day i turn the skimmer back on and let it skim most of the medicine in the morning and then do a 50% ish water change in the noon.
I have acroporas in the tank and I have done cyano treatment with great success. Just follow the instructions and dose it in the morning.

IMG_20221205_003828.jpg

IMG_20221205_003735.jpg

IMG_20221205_003758.jpg
Your white light pictures look almost the same as mine. Mine doesn't have any bubbles in it when lights are on though.

I haven't tried any sort of cyano treatment. From what I have been reading others have tried it with no effect. I did try fluxrx and left it for 2 weeks. Which seems to have helped me get ahead of some of it.

For what it's worth, I posted my microscope pictures on a few forums for I'd and everyone said green hair algae. So I'm still not 100% on what I have.

I am seeing more bubble algae pop up though. The more of the long strands I remove the more bubble algae I see. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not.
I can’t remember if you mentioned it, but have you tried vacuuming the sand as part of your regimen? Do you have a sump?
I vacuum the sand every other week or so. I also added some more snails to help clean the sand.

I do have a sump, yes.

Rameez Akhtar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your white light pictures look almost the same as mine. Mine doesn't have any bubbles in it when lights are on though.

I haven't tried any sort of cyano treatment. From what I have been reading others have tried it with no effect. I did try fluxrx and left it for 2 weeks. Which seems to have helped me get ahead of some of it.

For what it's worth, I posted my microscope pictures on a few forums for I'd and everyone said green hair algae. So I'm still not 100% on what I have.

I am seeing more bubble algae pop up though. The more of the long strands I remove the more bubble algae I see. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not.

I vacuum the sand every other week or so. I also added some more snails to help clean the sand.

I do have a sump, yes.
Looking at the microscope images I would say that it is most likely green hair algae. I am saying this now after gaining some more knowledge on what green hair algae looks like under the microscope.
If FluxRx helped at all then you might try that route and do 2- 3 treatments one after the other to completely eradicate the thing. Also keep your nutrients low.

But what are you going to do with bubble algae?
You can try Fritz algae clean out. But mind you it contains 5.4% polixentonium chloride which is an algaecide. Vibrant contains 4.5% and is 3x the price.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

Llorgon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at the microscope images I would say that it is most likely green hair algae. I am saying this now after gaining some more knowledge on what green hair algae looks like under the microscope.
If FluxRx helped at all then you might try that route and do 2- 3 treatments one after the other to completely eradicate the thing. Also keep your nutrients low.

But what are you going to do with bubble algae?
You can try Fritz algae clean out. But mind you it contains 5.4% polixentonium chloride which is an algaecide. Vibrant contains 4.5% and is 3x the price.
I've done fluxrx twice on the tank. Second dose had a bigger impact in terms of less algae growing back. I left it for 2 weeks and just recently turned the skimmer back on and did a water change. I guess I will see how it does from here.

Honestly I am not sure where to go with the nutrients. Some say low others high. I have been having better luck with it being higher to be honest. The key might just be stability?

Right now, I have tried 2 emerald crabs which have both disappeared a day or two after introduction. Mostly I am removing it by hand/screw driver and it hasn't been coming back terribly quickly. So I will continue to do that and add snails to hopefully keep it away before it becomes bubbles.

Rameez Akhtar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done fluxrx twice on the tank. Second dose had a bigger impact in terms of less algae growing back. I left it for 2 weeks and just recently turned the skimmer back on and did a water change. I guess I will see how it does from here.

Honestly I am not sure where to go with the nutrients. Some say low others high. I have been having better luck with it being higher to be honest. The key might just be stability?

Right now, I have tried 2 emerald crabs which have both disappeared a day or two after introduction. Mostly I am removing it by hand/screw driver and it hasn't been coming back terribly quickly. So I will continue to do that and add snails to hopefully keep it away before it becomes bubbles.
Ok ..
I believe the thing about nutrients is balance and Redfield ratio.
Once you hit that sweet spot, all inhabitants in your tank will be happy.

For me here is the update below with the experiment i am conducting.

Day 1:
It's there in the video. Where it all started.
I uploaded it in my YT channel.

Day 2:
I saw that the glass with Azithromycin turned pale (middle). I was not able to see any bubbles. While the left (flucanazole) and right (control) glasses showed signs of photosynthesis , producing oxygen bubbles.
IMG_20221205_135517.jpg

Day 3:
Last night I added a drop of a solution of flucanazole (2nd Dose) to the left glass and this morning I saw that the algae in the glass with the flucanazole has turned completely white and is most probably dead.
IMG_20221207_143551.jpg
IMG_20221207_143605.jpg

Left glass is flucanazole (F)
Middle - Azithromycin (A)
Right - Control (C)
IMG_20221207_143602.jpg

CONCLUSION:
So this makes me believe that what I have is actually green hair algae and this thing is covered with cyanobacteria which got affected by Azithromycin. This caused the prevention of photosynthesis in day 2 of the experiment. However in day 3 after the second dose of fluconazole within 12 hours the green hair algae turned white and melted.

I am yet to dose my tank with flucanazole. I will post the results over here once I do so. But before that I will be experimenting more with the chemicals that I have on hand to come to a definite conclusion.

OP
OP
L

Llorgon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok ..
I believe the thing about nutrients is balance and Redfield ratio.
Once you hit that sweet spot, all inhabitants in your tank will be happy.

For me here is the update below with the experiment i am conducting.

Day 1:
It's there in the video. Where it all started.
I uploaded it in my YT channel.

Day 2:
I saw that the glass with Azithromycin turned pale (middle). I was not able to see any bubbles. While the left (flucanazole) and right (control) glasses showed signs of photosynthesis , producing oxygen bubbles.
IMG_20221205_135517.jpg

Day 3:
Last night I added a drop of a solution of flucanazole (2nd Dose) to the left glass and this morning I saw that the algae in the glass with the flucanazole has turned completely white and is most probably dead.
IMG_20221207_143551.jpg
IMG_20221207_143605.jpg

Left glass is flucanazole (F)
Middle - Azithromycin (A)
Right - Control (C)
IMG_20221207_143602.jpg

CONCLUSION:
So this makes me believe that what I have is actually green hair algae and this thing is covered with cyanobacteria which got affected by Azithromycin. This caused the prevention of photosynthesis in day 2 of the experiment. However in day 3 after the second dose of fluconazole within 12 hours the green hair algae turned white and melted.

I am yet to dose my tank with flucanazole. I will post the results over here once I do so. But before that I will be experimenting more with the chemicals that I have on hand to come to a definite conclusion.

Interesting. So did fluxrx completely kill the algae. I probably have some of the same thing going on. I do have patches of cyano around the tank. It's improved some since I upped my flow.

Rameez Akhtar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. So did fluxrx completely kill the algae. I probably have some of the same thing going on. I do have patches of cyano around the tank. It's improved some since I upped my flow.
Yes it completely killed it...
Does these look like GHA or similar to what you have.?
IMG_20221214_204636.jpg
IMG_20221214_193736.jpg
IMG_20221214_204706.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 148 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back