Possible Snail parasite?

spockagain34

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 7, 2023
Messages
24
Reaction score
5
Location
CA
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1086.jpeg
IMG_1085.jpeg
IMG_1084.jpeg
IMG_1083.jpeg
IMG_1082.jpeg
Not sure if this is a parasite or simply part of the snail’s anatomy that I’ve never noticed, but I just spotted these white hairlike protrusions on an astrea snail. There are a couple different structures I can’t identify - some look like they’re in a semi circle and seem to be ant regular intervals on either side of the foot. I anssume these are part of its annatomy. Then there are many individual hairlike things all over it. Any ideas out there on what these are?
 
What kind of snail?
 
Oh, sorry, thought I’d mentioned that it is an Astraea snail.
 
Because they are bilateral and almost evenly spaced out I would guess they are part of the snail's anatomy. They sure look like a parasite, and snail's have tons of parasites. So now you made me look, so now I have to know for sure. Thanks a lot! :)
 
Do u have pictures of ur snail from before you noticed this? Maybe compare the photos to see if it’s there in too. If it is, maybe it’s safe to assume it’s just anatomy like Tahoe61 said.
 
Unfortunately, I do not have any before photos. I’ve had this guy in here for about two years and just have never noticed these things before. I’m guessing it’s anatomy as well, but wanted to run it by the community to be sure. My Google Fu skills came up short lol.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 19.4%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 40 31.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 19 14.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new