Possible to modify IceCap 48XL sump?

CincyReefer07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I’m getting ready to plumb my 310 gallon tank and IceCap 48XL sump, was wondering if anyone has this sump and has considered modifying it for more water volume and if it’s possible and if so how difficult it is or how easy it might be to accidentally screw the whole thing up. The corner that I have circled is a dedicated ATO section but I have a saltwater mixing station and ATO setup that I’ll be drawing the rodi water from for auto top offs, so this decent sized section isn’t even really needed necessarily. So was wondering if it could be modified just for more water volume in the sump somehow?

Any ideas? Anyone with experience with this same type of question or problem?

7548D080-B5CE-4F56-B9AE-7847C4D0501C.jpeg DF5FCEBD-5BEA-43FF-B642-86FA912070EB.jpeg

Hungrypede

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought about buying this sump and turning the ATO section into a refugium. Seems perfect for a refugium with minimal light spill.

There’s 3 options I though of;
1) drilling inlets and outlets into the chamber - but this would have minimum water turnover and affect the sump’s leveling in the skimmer chamber.

2) Feeding it with a small pump, have an overflow and a higher emergency overflow directly into the return chamber.

3) Feeding it through the manifold, with an overflow and higher emergency overflow directly into the return chamber.

Good luck and post pictures if you do!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back