Possible to never do water changes?

QuinnLee512

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I've had my tank running for almost a year now. I'm trying not to have to do water changes. However I've been running into high nitrate and phosphate issues. I've started vacuuming the sand bed to try and get the nitrates down. I have to essentially do a water change when vacuuming the sand bed. So was wondering if it's possible to never do a water change when there's a sandbed capturing detritus?

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is possible, but you will need to dose if you have hard corals, and have some form of nutrient export. I recommend an algae scrubber for efficiency, and a refugium if you want to maximize copepod populations. I hope that this helps!

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easy answer, no.

Besides devolved nutrients, there are Dozens of other elements that will need to be replaced.

Even if you're dosing those, an issue very well may require an immediate change of water.

OP
OP
QuinnLee512

QuinnLee512

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It is possible, but you will need to dose if you have hard corals, and have some form of nutrient export. I recommend an algae scrubber for efficiency, and a refugium if you want to maximize copepod populations. I hope that this helps!
I dose all for reef. I have a klir-4 and a filter sock and skimmer in my sump. I also started carbon dosing nopox when I started having this high nitrate and phosphate issue.

stephanjupillat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Only do a quarter of your sand bed at a time, maximum. Then a week or 2 later, 2 being better, vacuum the next quarter. Never do all your sand bed at one time. Check our reef moonshiners. Technically if you can keep your nutrients in check it’s possible with dosing their program. However I would recommend small water changes even using their program.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only do a quarter of your sand bed at a time, maximum. Then a week or 2 later, 2 being better, vacuum the next quarter. Never do all your sand bed at one time. Check our reef moonshiners. Technically if you can keep your nutrients in check it’s possible with dosing their program. However I would recommend small water changes even using their program.
I would also add a caveat here.....

Depends on the size of your tank. I have an 80G cube. I do my entire sandbed about once a month, never have had an issue.

OP
OP
QuinnLee512

QuinnLee512

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My goal is never having to do water changes. :⁠-⁠) Even having to vacuum the sand bed is a pain lol

OP
OP
QuinnLee512

QuinnLee512

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I would also add a caveat here.....

Depends on the size of your tank. I have an 80G cube. I do my entire sandbed about once a month, never have had an issue.
I have a 75G. I guess I should have asked if it's possible to not have to do water changes and vacuum the sand bed. I want to be a lazy reefer. Lol

Roli's Reef Ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spongebob Squarepants Good Luck GIF

OP
OP
QuinnLee512

QuinnLee512

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Sorry but LARS reefers, usually don't make it long in this hobby. There is always something that needs to be done.

Kind of like taking care of any animal. Walk the dog, change the cat box, etc, etc.
I don't mean being neglectful. Some people will do stuff manually to save money. I'd gladly spend money for automation to keep my critters happy and healthy. Even with automation, there's still enough manual work like filling up the ATO reservoir.

OP
OP
QuinnLee512

QuinnLee512

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Have plenty of critters to clean and move the sand bed around. You will need to use a dosing program like triton or reef moonshiners. And your nutrients obviously need to be controlled. It’s possible. Plenty of people do it. Few do it well though.
I use conchs to move the sandbed.

stephanjupillat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have 2 in a 60 and they don’t do much. I’m talking copepods, narcissus snails, every snail that goes under the sand bed really, maybe a starfish, and fish. Get the correct gobies that burrow, not shrimp goby as the shrimp is who digs. Though that would be good too. You will be required to clean the sand bed, or at least move it around. Critters and fish help, but you can’t beat a good vacuum. Usually no water changes are reserved for very large tanks. Not small ones like yours. I’d find a way to do automatic weekly water changes as that is my plan with new 225 gallon tank. Good luck!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 57 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 63 54.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 26 22.6%
  • None.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.8%

Back