Possible velvet irradication. Many warnings inside.

aykwm

Research Addict!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please keep us updated, ill be running this experiment too. If you think about it your tank is around 2100 liters, and the dose is 0.00165 liters of pure bleach, doesn't seem as much when put this way. Don't forget that 33 ml you are dosing contains only 5% of bleach.
Best of luck :D

Cabinetman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been thinking about this. So adding in my case 33ml of bleach in the morning. I wonder how much the levels drop of in an hour..two...three. Then we're not re dosing again for another 12 hours. If I see improvement I think I might set up my dosing pump on a day I can pretty much just sit in front of my tank and try dosing small amounts each hour after the initial dose to keep the levels high enough to kill the ich that hatch. Or just dose by hand. I've dealt with this parasite long enough to know if this impacts it. I'll take 5-7 days to see.

aykwm

Research Addict!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are test kits for chlorine, but its designed for pools and drinking water. I think it can also work for salt water too because it detects free chlorine, I will try it if I found the test kit to compare sea water alone, sea water with bleach, and fresh water with bleach, but its really rare to find test kits here other than the typical nitrate, ammonia, calc, mg,...

OP
OP
BoneXriffic

BoneXriffic

GO BLUE!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been thinking about this. So adding in my case 33ml of bleach in the morning. I wonder how much the levels drop of in an hour..two...three. Then we're not re dosing again for another 12 hours. If I see improvement I think I might set up my dosing pump on a day I can pretty much just sit in front of my tank and try dosing small amounts each hour after the initial dose to keep the levels high enough to kill the ich that hatch. Or just dose by hand. I've dealt with this parasite long enough to know if this impacts it. I'll take 5-7 days to see.
Free chlorine gasses off. The more aeriation the faster it dissipates. With so much in your dose i reccomend very slow dose. To avoid a chlorine wave to rush through and kill everything it touches

aykwm

Research Addict!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Free chlorine gasses off. The more aeriation the faster it dissipates. With so much in your dose i reccomend very slow dose. To avoid a chlorine wave to rush through and kill everything it touches
So if dosing pump is used, and I need (0.003/0.05)x100x2(twice daily)=12 ml, then dose every 6 hours 4 ml. But then will this still be effective since its more diluted and will probably evaporate fast due to aeration and uv light, so will the concentration be enough to eradicate parasites?

Would be nice if we know at which concentration can chlorine start eradicating or possibly damaging the parasites, and maybe testing the biological filter effectiveness while dosing, especially if dosed everyday I think more biological media is needed to try to populate as many bacteria as possible so if there were some dieoffs, the population won't crash. Although from previous posts, it doesn't seem to effect the biological filtration much.

aykwm

Research Addict!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a fast post regarding earlier post, at which concentration does bleach or free chlorine become toxic. According to the dosing measures here I am getting around 1.5 ppm chlorine (http://www.lakemt.gov/envhealth/pdf/water_quality/CONVERTING HOUSEHOLD BLEACH TO.pdf), lets say dosed daily and all evaporate, still 0.75ppm, isn't this high enough to kill fish, or maybe my math is wrong? I found an article stating that 0.003 starts stressing fish, and 0.3 will kill them, but this was for freshwater, but my assumption would be that salt water will be similar.

Cabinetman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured out a way to dose it slow. I use a plastic jug and fill it with water then add the bleach to it. I then poked a small hole in the bottom of the jug and one in the top. This alows it to trickle in over the coarse of 10 mins or so. Dose 2 in. Went to 20ml. Watcjing the tank now and 10 mins after all looks normal fish swimming around normal. Coral looks unaffected. Hopefully the ich isn't.

aykwm

Research Addict!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was reading about the minimum concentration so that bleach can be effective at eradicating protozoa in general, it seems that 50 ppm will them, but the dosage is much less, so I don't really know how this will effect them, hopefully it can damage them enough over the wrong run that they get eradicated eventually. Would be nice if a biologist or someone with microscope can observe the parasites under microscope after being exposed to difference concentrations of bleach, also if someone can inform us at what concentration will bleach start irritating or damaging the fish.
So far, and correct me if Im wrong, bleach seems to perform similar to ozone, as both of them will act as oxidizer in water and will damage the cells in similar manner.

LOVEROCK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is correct
To my amazement I had "0" coral loss with massive amounts of bleach
Due to college I have not been able to further my work with bleach but I do plan to in the near future.
Willard would you resume now :) future is now

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back