Post ich outbreak damsel tank?

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it has been months since I have seen ich in my tank but, I left a yellow coris wrasse in there. That fish is immune. The ich got so bad at a point that I thought wait is this velvet. Turns out it was ich as other tanks that got hit with the same strain only lost a small number of more delicate fish (think firefish and gobies) while even tangs survived in other tanks. So I have debated if I should either try adding a small number of damselfish to the tank or make the attempt to remove the wrasse which honestly might be impossible with the sand and rockwork unless I tear up the tank.

So aside from the ich, in this 60 gallon tank would the wrasse be compatible with 3-5 damsels. If so what species should I look at, I was thinking azure damsels, Yellowtail damsels, or similar could make up the first tester fish. After that point I don't know. Is it even worth considering or should I just pull out the wrasse at this point.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it has been months since I have seen ich in my tank but, I left a yellow coris wrasse in there. That fish is immune. The ich got so bad at a point that I thought wait is this velvet. Turns out it was ich as other tanks that got hit with the same strain only lost a small number of more delicate fish (think firefish and gobies) while even tangs survived in other tanks. So I have debated if I should either try adding a small number of damselfish to the tank or make the attempt to remove the wrasse which honestly might be impossible with the sand and rockwork unless I tear up the tank.

So aside from the ich, in this 60 gallon tank would the wrasse be compatible with 3-5 damsels. If so what species should I look at, I was thinking azure damsels, Yellowtail damsels, or similar could make up the first tester fish. After that point I don't know. Is it even worth considering or should I just pull out the wrasse at this point.
Another option might be to “test the waters” so to speak by acclimating some black mollies to the tank, house them in a hanging basket for a few weeks and see if ich breaks on them. Bear in mind though, it can take three days or more to acclimate the mollies over.
Jay

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Damsel recommendation
Swallow tail damsel
I’ve got 5 of various sizes in a 150.
They play tag every now and then with each other but never seen them bother with any of the other fish.

OP
OP
A

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another option might be to “test the waters” so to speak by acclimating some black mollies to the tank, house them in a hanging basket for a few weeks and see if ich breaks on them. Bear in mind though, it can take three days or more to acclimate the mollies over.
Jay
I have 12 or 13 mollies in my freshwater tank right now. These are a new group of 14 and one didn't make it with a smaller male missing as well. I buy large groups when I buy small fish in case of any acclimation issues or genetic weakness. Maybe I will pull a trio of black mollies from the bunch to move over. Thanks for the idea as I have the mollies already. However they are only a buck cheaper than a Damsel around me as Yellowtail and blue devil damsels for example are about $6-7. The black mollies are about $4 to 5. However the orange mollies (the one that died in my freshwater was orange) are about $6... good idea to pull a Molly over since I have them though.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 12 or 13 mollies in my freshwater tank right now. These are a new group of 14 and one didn't make it with a smaller male missing as well. I buy large groups when I buy small fish in case of any acclimation issues or genetic weakness. Maybe I will pull a trio of black mollies from the bunch to move over. Thanks for the idea as I have the mollies already. However they are only a buck cheaper than a Damsel around me as Yellowtail and blue devil damsels for example are about $6-7. The black mollies are about $4 to 5. However the orange mollies (the one that died in my freshwater was orange) are about $6... good idea to pull a Molly over since I have them though.
A couple of benefits for using mollies - they won’t have built up any resistance to marine ich, and then, they aren’t going to be a hassle to deal with later on like damsels can be.
Jay

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suppose if you don’t want the mollies in your salt water display tank long-term, you can just have them in an acclamation box and pull the box when the salt water experiment is over. Just a thought.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 50 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back