Post QT Feeding ?'s

Sean_B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the collective thoughts, if any on Post QT feeding restrictions?

If an Aquarist keeps, or strives to keeps a quarantined DT are they concerned with contamination per feeding procedures?

E.G., White Worms, Black Worms, Clams or Mussels?

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the collective thoughts, if any on Post QT feeding restrictions?

If an Aquarist keeps, or strives to keeps a quarantined DT are they concerned with contamination per feeding procedures?

E.G., White Worms, Black Worms, Clams or Mussels?
Are you asking if those food sources can introduce pests?

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the source and handling/ state of food items- fresh clams/mussels would probably get a no from me, but ones that have been previously frozen/ preferably flash frozen are probably fine.
Live White/ black worms will all depend on the biosecurity of how/ where they have been cultured

OP
OP
Sean_B

Sean_B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you asking if those food sources can introduce pests?

pests, diseases anything that someone would hope to prevent per a Quarantine process

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

pests, diseases anything that someone would hope to prevent per a Quarantine process
I can't answer for everyone but I can answer for me.

I strive to keep a disease free tank. I feed pre Frozen foods+ nori only. I do not worry about it at all.

OP
OP
Sean_B

Sean_B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the source and handling/ state of food items- fresh clams/mussels would probably get a no from me, but ones that have been previously frozen/ preferably flash frozen are probably fine.
Live White/ black worms will all depend on the biosecurity of how/ where they have been cultured
let's suggest clams and mussels FDA approved/"human Grade"

what biosecurity's are invested in White/Black worm cultures? Let's suggest again for sake of argument that the culture comes from a reputable source? I'm simply asking because that same standard does not seem to apply to fish Quarantine?

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep a pretty clean DT and after QT I feed frozen, nori, and pellets. I’d be slightly concerned with anything fresh, because a lot of these fresh foods harbor parasites in their gut, but I’m not exactly sure how long they can remain alive once the host is dead. I’d feel a lot better freezing it first.

OP
OP
Sean_B

Sean_B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't answer for everyone but I can answer for me.

I strive to keep a disease free tank. I feed pre Frozen foods+ nori only. I do not worry about it at all.
would you feed your fish clams or mussels that you purchased from a grocery store? frozen or fresh, but human consumption grade?

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let’s take fresh shrimp for example. Where I live on the Texas coast these can literally be caught and on display in a matter of hours. Quickly enough to still have live parasites in the gut and rectum. After a day or so on ice, I’m sure they die.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would you feed your fish clams or mussels that you purchased from a grocery store? frozen or fresh, but human consumption grade?
I would, but I’d be particular about which parts I feed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sean_B

Sean_B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm inclined to believe if a seafood source is ok for human consumption(on a bacterial/parasitic level, not talking about unnatural additives) why would it not be ok for fish?

OP
OP
Sean_B

Sean_B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sidetracked a bit

I really want to know if by Quarantining a fish, are we destined to limiting feeding that fish natural options?

I'm not looking to create a huge debate, it just seems completely illogical.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back