Post your DIY additives here!

M5 Dan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have a up to date recipe for sr I seemed to lose one from the last big batch I mixed .

I think I was using 30.53g in 1 litre of water Strontium Chloride is 99.68% pure for the stock solution but can’t remember how much of this mix would raise 1000L by +1mg/L

Any help would be great

thanks Dan

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strontium chloride can be anhydrous or as the hexahydrate. Do you have a link to what you are using?

Assuming it is anhydrous, strontium chloride is 55% strontium by weight.

"30.53g in 1 litre of water"\

gives a concentration of

16.8 grams Sr++ per liter

= 16.8 mg/mL Sr++

Thus, adding 1 mL (16.8 mg) to 1000 liters of water will give a final concentration of 16.8/1000 = 0.017 mg/L

Saturation of the stock solution would be a bit over 500 g/L at 20 deg C.

M5 Dan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply Randy .

I am using hexahydrate here’s what’s on the packaging .

Hopefully this helps . (See attached )

After a stock solution to rig up to my doser that wouldn’t be too strong to precipitate but also a calculation of what I’d use if it to raise by +1.0 .

I’m loosing roughly 3-4 mg/l every 3 weeks between icps . Struggling to dial it in with the calcium reactors (with arm media ) and running minimal kalk.

903C7760-5FDB-4A02-B174-2C20692F6E02.jpeg

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hexahydrate is 60% as potent as the anhydrous version, so with the same mass you used,

adding 1 mL (10.0 mg) to 1000 liters of water will give a final concentration of 10.0/1000 = 0.010 mg/L

M5 Dan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all , does anyone have a up to date recipe for vanadium ?
I’ve got one from some years ago using
“ 99% pure na3v04*12H2o sodium orthovanadate “
Could anyone please help .
After something that I can rig on a doser for constant upkeep .
aswell as have a stock for tweaking
Many thanks Dan

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all , does anyone have a up to date recipe for vanadium ?
I’ve got one from some years ago using
“ 99% pure na3v04*12H2o sodium orthovanadate “
Could anyone please help .
After something that I can rig on a doser for constant upkeep .
aswell as have a stock for tweaking
Many thanks Dan

Chemistry doesn't go bad with age, so an old recipe is likely fine, if it ever was correct.

You may find this thread useful:

M5 Dan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy ,
Just had a read through that thread ,is pentoxide similar to the 99% pure na3v04*12H2o sodium orthovanadate.
It’s just this product was quite hard to get hold of at the best of times . Considering I had to get it from Russia it’ll likely be impossible now from the uk .

The recipe I had was add 158.67 miligrams of 99% pure na3v04*12H2o to 100mls of RO but I can’t find what it’ll raise levels by

hope you can help ,thank you

AdrianSerge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@M5 Dan I use the Vanadium pentoxide (V2O5) 99% from russia hooked up on a doser 0.5ml every 2 days for 50 gallon system and my ICP was spot on.

I think this one got to be the same thing or at least very similar from Amazon UK:

This one is the bottle I purshased from Amazon USA:

My Recipe is base on the one that Randy posted:

Vanadium oxide (V2O5) is 56% vanadium by weight, so dissolving 4gr of it in a Liter of RODI water will result in a concentration of about 2,200 ug/mL.

1 mL of this added to 100 gallons (378.5 L) will boost vanadium by 2,200 ug/mL * 1 mL / 378.5 L = 5.8 ug/L.

That's too high, so if you dilute that stock solution using 100 mL of the previous mix into 1L of RODI then it is 1/10th as much, or 0.6 ug/L final concentration when dosed 1 mL to 100 gallons.

The Vanadium pentoxide is somewhat insoluble on water so to dissolve it you will need to add 1.8 to 2gr of Sodium Hydroxide (caustic soda/Lye) and stir vigorously.

I prefer to use a magnetic stirrer to mix my preparations for 30min, it is much eassier that way and I end by using a disposable coffee filter to strain any impurities that didnt get to mix from the final solution.

Note, the stock solution from the first 4gr of Vanadium last's a very long long time... already a year using it and I haven't used half of the diluted bottle hooked up on the doser. It doesn't seem to go bad or anything, and the bottle of V2O5 powder from russia is gonna last a life time.

M5 Dan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@M5 Dan I use the Vanadium pentoxide (V2O5) 99% from russia hooked up on a doser 0.5ml every 2 days for 50 gallon system and my ICP was spot on.

I think this one got to be the same thing or at least very similar from Amazon UK:

This one is the bottle I purshased from Amazon USA:

My Recipe is base on the one that Randy posted:

Vanadium oxide (V2O5) is 56% vanadium by weight, so dissolving 4gr of it in a Liter of RODI water will result in a concentration of about 2,200 ug/mL.

1 mL of this added to 100 gallons (378.5 L) will boost vanadium by 2,200 ug/mL * 1 mL / 378.5 L = 5.8 ug/L.

That's too high, so if you dilute that stock solution using 100 mL of the previous mix into 1L of RODI then it is 1/10th as much, or 0.6 ug/L final concentration when dosed 1 mL to 100 gallons.

The Vanadium pentoxide is somewhat insoluble on water so to dissolve it you will need to add 1.8 to 2gr of Sodium Hydroxide (caustic soda/Lye) and stir vigorously.

I prefer to use a magnetic stirrer to mix my preparations for 30min, it is much eassier that way and I end by using a disposable coffee filter to strain any impurities that didnt get to mix from the final solution.

Note, the stock solution from the first 4gr of Vanadium last's a very long long time... already a year using it and I haven't used half of the diluted bottle hooked up on the doser. It doesn't seem to go bad or anything, and the bottle of V2O5 powder from russia is gonna last a life time.

Thanks Adrian ,
I will order some of that up .
Have you or do you know if people use sodium orthovanadate for a vanadium recipe ?
I’ve got about 50g of it here an seems a waste of I’m not going to use it but will defo get some pentoxide

Betex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to fix up my Bromine levels would I use the recipe below?

1659883960653.png

AdrianSerge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Adrian ,
I will order some of that up .
Have you or do you know if people use sodium orthovanadate for a vanadium recipe ?
I’ve got about 50g of it here an seems a waste of I’m not going to use it but will defo get some pentoxide
The only vanadium I have ever used is V2O5, people are scared of DIY Formulas but to me is working great so far and it is really cheap to make traces on the long-run.

For your Na3VO4, I think the formula has to be something like:

If im right sodium orthovanadate is 26.7% vanadium by weight or 0.267mg in 1gr worth, so 2.1gr of that mixed into 1 Liter of RODI water would be about 0.563 mg/L so you use that info to dose it to lets say 100 galon reef (378L) the math would be "0.563 mg/378 L= 0.0015ug” so 1ml of that Liter solution would increase into a 100-gallon tank 0.0015ug that is the level about where you want it to be. I dose vanadium every 2 days, you have to adjust it to your needs using ICP to compare.

Im not that great on formulas so if someone can correct me @Randy Holmes-Farley ?

Ellery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be fine too, but I don't see a reason to prefer it. :)
@Randy Holmes-Farley
Sorry late to the game on this thread- I ended up getting a lab grade Cobalt Sulfate 99.9% Heptahydrate (CoSO4)

Can you recommend a dilution formula.

Can you double check my logic based on reading this thread.

What is the percentage of CO in CoSO4?

Mass percentage of the elements in the composition
ElementSymbolMass Percent
CobaltumCo38.023%
SulfurS20.688%
OxygeniumO41.290%

Do I follow the same rule of thumb as suggested by Reefology1 below but substituting the % by updating the below:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cobalt (II) SulfateHeptahydrate CoSO4 * 7H2O is 38.023% Cobalt by weight

Dissolve 1 gram in 1L of RO/DI. That solution contains 380 mg of cobalt, so the concentration is 380 mg/L or 380 ug/mL.

Adding 1 mL to 100 L of tank water will boost aquarium cobalt levels by 3.8 ug/L.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks, If that is correct general formula can I also apply it for Zinc Chloride (ZnCl2)?

Ellery

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley
Sorry late to the game on this thread- I ended up getting a lab grade Cobalt Sulfate 99.9% Heptahydrate (CoSO4)

Can you recommend a dilution formula.

Can you double check my logic based on reading this thread.

What is the percentage of CO in CoSO4?

Mass percentage of the elements in the composition
ElementSymbolMass Percent
CobaltumCo38.023%
SulfurS20.688%
OxygeniumO41.290%

Do I follow the same rule of thumb as suggested by Reefology1 below but substituting the % by updating the below:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cobalt (II) SulfateHeptahydrate CoSO4 * 7H2O is 38.023% Cobalt by weight

Dissolve 1 gram in 1L of RO/DI. That solution contains 380 mg of cobalt, so the concentration is 380 mg/L or 380 ug/mL.

Adding 1 mL to 100 L of tank water will boost aquarium cobalt levels by 3.8 ug/L.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks, If that is correct general formula can I also apply it for Zinc Chloride (ZnCl2)?

Ellery

Do you have a link to this product? I get a cobalt weight percentage of 58.9/218.1 = 21%.

Ellery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a link to this product? I get a cobalt weight percentage of 58.9/218.1 = 21%.
Yes here are the cobalt and zinc links:

1661292914218.png

According to their MSDS for this catalog # (GRM7628), this is the anhydrous form and not a hydrate. This is the form that functions as a Lewis Acid.
1661292953060.png

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 30.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back