Post your Filefish reef success stories!

Tiki Reef Joshua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post up your success story involving filefish and success in your reef! Include if they were wild caught or captive-bred and what casualties you suffered.

Fishyfish22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Got an aptasia eating filefish for the sole purpose of eradicating aptasia. He ate it all, then went on to eat only pellets and mysis, not touching coral. Then aptasia is came back and the bugger got so used to the easy life he wouldn't eat it anymore.

So I got a copperband. Guess what, it decided to only eat pellets and mysis too. Again, it didn't touch coral but must've seen how easy the filefish had it because he left aptasia alone and decided to stick with the fed stuff.

OP
OP
Tiki Reef Joshua

Tiki Reef Joshua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got an aptasia eating filefish for the sole purpose of eradicating aptasia. He ate it all, then went on to eat only pellets and mysis, not touching coral. Then aptasia is came back and the bugger got so used to the easy life he wouldn't eat it anymore.

So I got a copperband. Guess what, it decided to only eat pellets and mysis too. Again, it didn't touch coral but must've seen how easy the filefish had it because he left aptasia alone and decided to stick with the fed stuff.
Captive or wild?

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I loved mine. Had a male for years. He wiped out my outbreak. Took him a month to start eating, after that a month to get the 180 under control.

He became my favorite fish. I lost him 3 months ago after about 2 years. He ate Nori sheets and every other food I fed, I think my flame tang started to bully him along with a few other fish. He suddenly disappeared.

OP
OP
Tiki Reef Joshua

Tiki Reef Joshua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I loved mine. Had a male for years. He wiped out my outbreak. Took him a month to start eating, after that a month to get the 180 under control.

He became my favorite fish. I lost him 3 months ago after about 2 years. He ate Nori sheets and every other food I fed, I think my flame tang started to bully him along with a few other fish. He suddenly disappeared.
That sucks.

00W

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks.
I loved mine too. Bought him at Petco for$9. Made it through bad ich outbreak. He was my only fish for 6 months until I started to give him a few friends here and there.
He was friendly, smart and shy. Ate everything. Never touched a coral. Never touched another fish. Would change colors to whatever he was next to. A true chameleon. One of my favorite fish of all time.
The card said he wasn't wild but who knows.
He lived 4 years but finally just couldn't eat fast enough to keep up with everyone else. I tried feeding him by hand but my tang just out ate him if you will.
I highly recommend file fish to anyone with a gentle tank.

00W

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you like the leather maybe. I dunno. A nip here and there is one thing. If he develops a taste for it that may be a problem.
I agree with Joshua totally. Got any nori? Mine liked spinach too. Might skew his focus?

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just added a CB apitasia eating filefish from Biota. Within 24 hours I saw him eat an aiptasia immediately followed by a leather coral polyp. Think I should just pull him?
It won’t stop until it’s gone, and then on to other yummy coral.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 60 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.8%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back