Potassium nitrate (Spectracide stump remover) dosing steps

kewadiak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went to lowes picked up two bottles of stump remover. Came home measured nitrates got zero as i always do. Mixed 2 tbs to 2 cups of ro water dosed 60ml of this solution. Came back an hour later i had my first reading of .2 nitrate i am super excited! My plan is to reach 2ppm and run my tank there since i do have a mixed reef.

diggler93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if you will be running 2ppm of nitrate, then shouldn't your phosphate be 16 times less to get the proper ratio?

kewadiak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if you will be running 2ppm of nitrate, then shouldn't your phosphate be 16 times less to get the proper ratio?

Im not sure thats two advanced for me. I never have a phosphate reading using salifert test kit I'm wondering if i should dose that next. I always feel i starve everything in my tank and it eventually dies all my lps have receding tissue. My tank is to clean i feel.

zemuss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok is there a limit to the amount of stump remover to RO water you can use before it precipitates?

Or is it just easier to mix 2 tbs to 1 solo cup and rinse and repeat?

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok is there a limit to the amount of stump remover to RO water you can use before it precipitates?

I put it in a sealed container. Stays mixed and does not precipitate
1 tbsp per 1 cup of water is the most I do.

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Solubility limit of potassium nitrate at room temp is pretty high (>300 g/L). Higher than you'd likely want to use.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No. The Redfield ratio (the ratio that certain organisms incorporate the atoms C, N, and P) is unrelated to the concentrations of those same atoms in the water. It is not a goal to have the water at those ratios.

This thread covers that issue (and related topics) in great detail:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/redfield-ratio-significant-factor-in-reef-tanks.215833/

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. The Redfield ratio (the ratio that certain organisms incorporate the atoms C, N, and P) is unrelated to the concentrations of those same atoms in the water. It is not a goal to have the water at those ratios.

This thread covers that issue (and related topics) in great detail:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/redfield-ratio-significant-factor-in-reef-tanks.215833/
Thank you Randy, I'm trying to keep the chemistry end of things to you and keep this a "how to" :)

Crackem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my Seachem flourish nitrogen today. I tested no3 with my salifert kit and it was 0 before adding flourish. My tank is a 120 with 40 breeder. Tank is fallow with a large cuc and 2 pale sps and a tiny chalice frag. I wanted to be semi conservative with dosing but I wasn't seeing the results I wanted to I got a little aggressive towards the last dose. These are my test results so far.

10/8/15 2:45 pm
Nitrates 0
Added 20 ml flourish nitrogen at 3pm
Nitrates 0.5 at 4pm
Added 10ml flourish nitrogen 4pm
Nitrates .5-1 at 8pm
Added 30ml of flourish at 8pm

I will be testing around 9pm

Crackem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates are now at 2.5 according to salifert. Could be as high as 4.5 because it's at least at 25 but less than 50 but for low range you divide by 10. I'll retest tomorrow.

JFrar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, i did not read through all 5 pages so this might of been answered. I've been wanting to do this for awhile as i keep SPS and always have 0 no3 and po4... when you mixed that in the cup its about 12oz. and your dosing 10ml a day that means that batch will last you a little over a month with no issue ? just store room temp i assume?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, i did not read through all 5 pages so this might of been answered. I've been wanting to do this for awhile as i keep SPS and always have 0 no3 and po4... when you mixed that in the cup its about 12oz. and your dosing 10ml a day that means that batch will last you a little over a month with no issue ? just store room temp i assume?

Potassium nitrate alone in RO/DI water will not degrade in any reasonable time (years).

ssdawood

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I just got my Seachem flourish nitrogen today. I tested no3 with my salifert kit and it was 0 before adding flourish. My tank is a 120 with 40 breeder. Tank is fallow with a large cuc and 2 pale sps and a tiny chalice frag. I wanted to be semi conservative with dosing but I wasn't seeing the results I wanted to I got a little aggressive towards the last dose. These are my test results so far.

10/8/15 2:45 pm
Nitrates 0
Added 20 ml flourish nitrogen at 3pm
Nitrates 0.5 at 4pm
Added 10ml flourish nitrogen 4pm
Nitrates .5-1 at 8pm
Added 30ml of flourish at 8pm

I will be testing around 9pm

I will be careful of adding flourish. Ot has ammonia in it too.

Maybe randy will correct me if I am wrong. But flourish has regular nitrates and ammonia which gets converted into nitrates by your bacteria.

Me and couple other reefers had problem with stn in sps after adding this.

One reefer dosed a little extra and was able to even get an ammonia reading on the test kit.

Flourish was designed for planted tanks. Nitrates and ammonia both act as fertilizers for them.

You have to be careful of ammonia.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seachem Flourish is actually a bit vague about what it has in it, listing something that isn't a clear chemical name:

" It provides nitrogen in both the nitrate form and the plant-preferred ammonium form. However, no free ammonia is released because the ammonium in Flourish Nitrogen™ is complexed and unavailable until utilized by the plants. "

and

"Derived from: potassium nitrate, urea (iminium salt)"

If it actually contains urea, then it is no toxicity concern, but chemically I cannnot umambiguously identify what an imimium salt of urea would look like.

Crackem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I added approximately 60ml of seachem flourish on
October 8th to get my first measureable amount of nitrates in my barebottom 120. I tested using salifert at 2.5-4ppm and I have yet to see a drop below that level since. Is this normal? I remember reading that it's possible that my tank just needed a kickstart. Side note is that my tank is fallow and I only have a large cuc but my brown snotty diatom algae will not go away and is definitely getting worse. It used to be only on powerheads, overflow, and the back glass , and now it has moved to my rocks and is really getting disgusting. I recently changed my filter socks but I haven't done a water change since 9/16/15. I turned up the flow and my t5 and LED lighting periods have been reduced. I am ghost feeding pellets every other day to keep the bacteria alive. I'm also running gfo. Tank has only been running since June. Any tips or suggestions are welcome.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back