PotatoPig's 75 Gallon Learning-By-Doing Experience

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All!

So, I'm somewhat new to this and have been setting up a 75 gallon FOWLR tank and populating it at a painfully slow pace ovre the last couple of months. This is my first venture into aquariums at all, let alone the world of tropical saltwater fish, so has been a learning experience...

Setup:

75 gallon rimmed tank I got on a Petco half price sale, thinking that was the main item out of the way so the whole project would be a lot more economical...:rolling-on-the-floor-laughing::rolling-on-the-floor-laughing::rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
20 gallon long DIY sump with filter socks, 2 heaters and return pump, along with approx 10 gallon refugium
Lifereef HOB overflow
2 heaters in sump
Inkbird Heater Controller (Got these just before thanksgiving and they saved the aquarium at Thanksgiving as was out of town but got alarms the heaters couldn't keep up with the house heat turned way down so got a neighbor to turn the house heat back up)
Eshopps hang-on filter sock holder
2 powerheads, they're at about the minimum so I need to upgrade these.
Basic soft plumbing
Sump backs onto furnace room, so all power is hooked up to outlets on the rear of the wall behind.
The power sockets are you see are a lot further from the water than they look....

DIY Stand, modeled heavily after the RocketEngineer stand, with a butcher block top.
Note 1: Butcher Block "Workbenches" are about 1/4 the price of similarly sized butcher block "Countertops", you just have to put the "Husky" logo facing the wall.
Note 2: The plastic sheeting in the base forms a double bagged waterproof basin. This saved me recarpeting my basement when I learned that the return line will siphon down water until it hits air. The overflow capacity here was almost maxed out, but not a drop spilled.

Tank Innards:
Basic dry rock start, with bottle bac, with spare dry rock dumped in the sump.
Aragonite sand base (rock rests on glass, sand added after)
The left rock pile has a network of caves to provide shelter and hiding places, the right rock pile has two "cave" pieces also set up at the base to provide similar.
As you'll note the kids also got to make architectural choices

Image33.jpeg

Image2.jpeg

Tank Inhabitants:
Currently very low:
2 clowns. Dark Nemo is the dominant one, presumed female, and lives in the HoboNem, while the orange one diligently patrols in front 24/7 except when they're feeding.
Three hermit crabs.
Six snails (I forget which types)

Next planned additions:
2 x Mandarin Dragonets, partly to have a male/female pair, partly as shipping is apparently waived above a certain spend, so the second one isn't nearly as expensive as the first. I have a copepod farm spanning six parallel cultures in the furnace room to support these should they not live up to the promised acceptance of pellet foods.
2-3 Zebra Barred Dartfish
Coral Beauty / Flame Angel (undecided which one)
Goby (unsure of type yet, would like a couple different types if possible)
2-3 Sunset Anthias
Starfish (unsure of type yet)

Image.jpeg

bradreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice butcher block hack. Love that idea. I used a granite remnant because it was cheaper than butch block

OP
OP
P

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank Measurements:

Temp: 76.5 (Inkbird controller)
pH: 7.9 (Milwaukee pH56 handheld)
Salinity: 1.025 (Imagitarium Refractometer)

OP
OP
P

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small update to this - after losing two fish a little while back I’m now semi paranoid about diseases, but am also trying to add critters, so set up a small invert QT tank in the basement to house some snails, hermits and emerald crabs, along with a few live rock fragments and a bunch of dry rock for biofiltration, some pods in there both from colonized dry rock from the main tank along with whatever came in with the critters and live rock fragments.

Tank is basic - a little 5.5 gallon rimmed tank, flow is from the HOB filter, with a small drop to the water level to give it a chance to pick up speed and get water moving at a decent looking pace.

Plan is to give this a fallow QT period and then add into the main tank, then use as a modified copepod culture station with rock for ammonia control, while also using it to grow algae rocks for algae eaters currently in the tank and/or planned for it.

Real basic and low key, but here it is…

IMG_8687.jpeg
IMG_8688.jpeg

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small update to this - after losing two fish a little while back I’m now semi paranoid about diseases, but am also trying to add critters, so set up a small invert QT tank in the basement to house some snails, hermits and emerald crabs, along with a few live rock fragments and a bunch of dry rock for biofiltration, some pods in there both from colonized dry rock from the main tank along with whatever came in with the critters and live rock fragments.

Tank is basic - a little 5.5 gallon rimmed tank, flow is from the HOB filter, with a small drop to the water level to give it a chance to pick up speed and get water moving at a decent looking pace.

Plan is to give this a fallow QT period and then add into the main tank, then use as a modified copepod culture station with rock for ammonia control, while also using it to grow algae rocks for algae eaters currently in the tank and/or planned for it.

Real basic and low key, but here it is…

IMG_8687.jpeg
IMG_8688.jpeg
Nice looking qt tank!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 140 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back