Potters Angel in acclimation box

Fish Biscuit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a small potters angel yesterday from our LFS yesterday. He’s been great at the store eating but he won’t eat in the acclimation box. He went in last night at 6:30ish. I’ve offered food 3 times since then.

He’s going into a 240 with a cherub angel which is why he’s in the box. If this doesn’t work the cherub will go in the fuge. No one has paid any attention until I moved the box lower into the tank. The potters has been out & not hiding in the pvc except to sleep.

The cherub swam up to the box & hid. Came back a half hour later to the box & displayed but not attacking the box. The cherub has done this twice now. Gold midas blenny is displaying the most but no one is attacking the box. Other fish are a pair of clowns, 2 cardinals, tail spot, possum wrasse, flame & rhomboid wrasses, diamondtail & carpenters wrasses & a yellow watchman.

I’m concerned about the potters not eating. If there continues to be no aggression, can I let him out at the next feeding? Lights go out about an hour after that.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imagine how stressful the last day has been for the little guy. Not surprised it’s not eating. As long as it really was eating at the store then a few days isn’t a big deal. Potters are obsessive grazers, so even if it hides for a while once released from the box it may still get some nutrition (assuming you have grazable rock). Not an easy angel though.

OP
OP
Fish Biscuit

Fish Biscuit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I let him out when I fed again. He didn’t eat what I offered but was grazing the rocks. I had a potters years ago I lost in a power outage so I know how delicate they are & why I wanted him to eat. There is plenty for him to eat off the rocks.

The acclimation box seems to be hit or miss. I’ve lost 2 wrasses in it previously so I now get females that go in the tank & there’s no issue. I was concerned about the cherub going after him otherwise I would have just put him in the tank. There was some chasing & posturing. I used the mirror trick & it stopped for a while before it started again. Not long after the lights went out.

I think they’ll be fine & it will settle down. It’s not constant out for blood chasing. Seems more like establishing dominance. My old potters would be obnoxious to any new fish but would calm down after a day.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back