Potter's Angel pair with...you guessed it...velvet

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed on Sunday the larger of my two Pottter's angels had kind of lost it's blue coloring but I didn't think too much of it as everything else seemed alright. Yesterday at final check before lights out I noticed both with tiny white dots. They seemed too small and numerous to be ich so I can only assume velvet.

They are both in QT for the last couple weeks doing well, so I went ahead and dosed them up about 3/4 of the way to full therapeutic copper added additional aeration, shut off the lights and went to bed.

Checked in on them this morning and no change but they didn't seem ill affected by the copper so I went ahead and dosed them up to 1.7ppm Copper Power.

I have read to also use an antibiotic (i.e. Furan2) for the first week as well. I only have BiFuran on hand (same? different?) but am hesitant to use it because as luck would have it I'm leaving on a trip this Thursday and not arriving back home until Monday. The BiFuran directions say water changes and re dosing needed daily for some days to properly treat.

Terrible timing to be gone, but it is what it is. So...do I just leave them in their copper bath and hope they pull through until I get back? Or is there something else I can add to try to help combat any secondary/bacterial infection?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to here that KJoFan. :(

Unless you can do an antibiotic dip I wouldn't do more than leave them in copper. Tough situation to be in.

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would I need for an antibiotic dip?

I feel like I've been around here a lot lately but I guess that's what happens when you've got 3 QT's going at once. Bound to hit a snag eventually. Just real unfortunate timing...

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would I need for an antibiotic dip?

I feel like I've been around here a lot lately but I guess that's what happens when you've got 3 QT's going at once. Bound to hit a snag eventually. Just real unfortunate timing...
The preference would be Acriflavine. It is in Ruby Reef Rally and Acriflavine-MS.

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The preference would be Acriflavine. It is in Ruby Reef Rally and Acriflavine-MS.
Probably not a reality to get some in time before I leave. I am not near to anything that might possibly have it for sale and it probably wouldn't arrive in time to use before I leave. :(

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing I've got that I could add without too much harm is Melafix which...I know is nothing like using an actual antibiotic.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably not a reality to get some in time before I leave. I am not near to anything that might possibly have it for sale and it probably wouldn't arrive in time to use before I leave. :(
I feel it is one of those things we should keep on hand.

I'm going to channel my inner Yogi Berra. If you need it and don't have it by the time you get it you won't need it.

If they are still doing well in the copper by the time you get back from your trip the bath likely won't be necessary. It is most effective if used in the first day or two.

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel it is one of those things we should keep on hand.

I'm going to channel my inner Yogi Berra. If you need it and don't have it by the time you get it you won't need it.

If they are still doing well in the copper by the time you get back from your trip the bath likely won't be necessary. It is most effective if used in the first day or two.
That's what I'm thinking too. Of course, we never have these things on hand until we need them, eh? Perhaps I will order some..for next time. :)

Would treating with BiFuran today and tomorrow do any good?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I'm thinking too. Of course, we never have these things on hand until we need them, eh? Perhaps I will order some..for next time. :)

Would treating with BiFuran today and tomorrow do any good?
It isn't a product I am familiar with, but I looked it up and saw that it includes directions for a dip. I would strongly consider doing this, but again, it's not something I have used.
Edit: copied the wrong section.

Short-Term Dip For Marine Fishes: Mix the proper amount of BiFuran+™ into a container of conditioned freshwater (using Ultimate® or a combination of Stress-X® and ClorAm-X®) and place the diseased fishes into the container with gentle aeration. Allow the fishes to remain in this dip treatment until they can no longer remain upright or show other signs of osmotic stress (typically no longer than 1 minute). After treatment return the treated fishes to normal seawater for recovery. Repeat daily as needed.

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It isn't a product I am familiar with, but I looked it up and saw that it includes directions for a dip. I would strongly consider doing this, but again, it's not something I have used.
Edit: copied the wrong section.

Short-Term Dip For Marine Fishes: Mix the proper amount of BiFuran+™ into a container of conditioned freshwater (using Ultimate® or a combination of Stress-X® and ClorAm-X®) and place the diseased fishes into the container with gentle aeration. Allow the fishes to remain in this dip treatment until they can no longer remain upright or show other signs of osmotic stress (typically no longer than 1 minute). After treatment return the treated fishes to normal seawater for recovery. Repeat daily as needed.
I believe it was all I could find at a time I needed Furan, so it was the closest I could get. I've only ever used it a couple of times as a treatment to the entire QT tank. Essentially this is a freshwater dip combined with the BiFuran as I read it. I've never done a freshwater dip. :confused:

But, I have watched the video that's been posted on how to do it. How do dwarf angels typically handle something like that, any idea?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it was all I could find at a time I needed Furan, so it was the closest I could get. I've only ever used it a couple of times as a treatment to the entire QT tank. Essentially this is a freshwater dip combined with the BiFuran as I read it. I've never done a freshwater dip. :confused:

But, I have watched the video that's been posted on how to do it. How do dwarf angels typically handle something like that, any idea?
Mine flame angel had no issues with the two I put it through.

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine flame angel had no issues with the two I put it through.
Perhaps I will consider it for this evening when I get home from work. I want to give them the best chance possible while I can.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A freshwater dip will remove a considerable number of the parasites, especially from the fish's gills. This will help buy the fish's immune system some time as the copper begins to interrupt the velvet cycle.

Last edited:
OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A freshwater dip will remover a considerable number of the parasites, especially from the fish's gills. This will help buy the fish's immune system some time as the copper begins to interrupt the velvet cycle.

I'm hoping I caught it in time, the fish haven't really acted affected by it all yet, seemed to eat fine yesterday still, I didn't feel this morning though.

You'll be fine mixing BiFuran (initial dosage only) with copper. I wouldn't do any repeat doses until you are home and can do water changes though.

So, you're saying I could dose the initial dose and just let it ride until I'm back? Better than nothing I suppose.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, you're saying I could dose the initial dose and just let it ride until I'm back? Better than nothing I suppose.

Yes. I've had pretty good success dosing nitrofurazone + kanamycin w/copper (or Chloroquine) to prevent a secondary bacterial infection from developing. Initial dosage only unless active signs of an infection show up.

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I am back from my trip to Atlanta and checked on all the fish when I got home. The Potter's pair are looking good. Both active, both eating, both have their colors back and no visible signs of velvet. They're still in their BiFuran bath until I can work up some water for a water change, but they don't seem to mind nor seem any worse for wear. ;Happy

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad it’s going well so far! :). I once had a trio of Potters, I miss that tank!

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The smallest angel suffered a sudden, mysterious death a week or so ago. I fed earlier in the evening and it was eating and interested, a couple hours later I went down to check things out and it was laying on the bottom with a piece of food hanging out of it's mouth still breathing. I netted it out and pulled the food out (choking?) and immediately thereafter it died. Not really sure what happened there but the other angel is doing great and only 8 days away from it's 30 day copper treatment.

After having 3 QT tanks going for awhile, I'm starting to see the end...of this round of fish stocking anyway. :D

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back