Powder Blue Tang Spine

  • Thread starter Thread starter Keywest99
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Keywest99

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 27, 2021
Messages
99
Reaction score
71
Location
Cincinnati
What state or country do you live in
Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you guys ever seen a Tang that can't retract a spine after attacking another fish? I guess he damaged it after attacking a new Pakistani Butterfly fish. He is in isolation now, and there is slight damage to the Butterfly. I think Powder Blue Tangs are about the most aggressive fish. When I introduce a new fish I always feed them first, then not only do I turn off the light, but also cover the tank with a plastic tarp that doesn't allow any light in for up to 12 hours. If that doesn't do it I isolate the tang. I cut a piece of plexiglass the same dimensions of the inside of the tank and drilled dozens of 1/4" holes in it. Then trap the tang inside of that(about 20% of the tank). My other fish never bother new fish.
 
I had a powder blue whose one scalpel was extended and would not retract. The fish acted normal otherwise. It stayed that way for 2-3 weeks then slowly over days improved and went back to normal.
 
Ive seen that on a yellow tang before, cant remember how long is was like that. It did go back to normal though
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 17.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new