Powder blue tang

Phlynamjax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small powder blue tang in QT. I am debating on either I should add him to my reef tank or not. I had few powder blue tangs in the past, but other fishes in the tank were big and aggressive enough to hold their own (Mostly large angels and tangs). Currently, I have no other tang in my reef tank and not planning on adding anymore fish after him. I have really peaceful reef tank at the moment (No aggressive fish) and don't want to break the harmony. Bottom line is, Is powder blue tang aggressive to other non tang tank mates?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small powder blue tang in QT. I am debating on either I should add him to my reef tank or not. I had few powder blue tangs in the past, but other fishes in the tank were big and aggressive enough to hold their own (Mostly large angels and tangs). Currently, I have no other tang in my reef tank and not planning on adding anymore fish after him. I have really peaceful reef tank at the moment (No aggressive fish) and don't want to break the harmony. Bottom line is, Is powder blue tang aggressive to other non tang tank mates?

@4FordFamily Any insight?

They can be a very nasty fish. What other fish do you have currently?

OP
OP
P

Phlynamjax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mostly small fishes in my reef. Fire fish, clowns, leopard wrasses, dwarf angels, fairy wrasses etc. My experience with PB was that they were nasty against new comer for first few days, but didn't really chase anyone to death. The purple tangs I had were much more nasty compare to PB.

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not had a PB for many years. The one I did have was great, I really liked him. But some are very nasty I was thinking about one for my new build but was also thinking a purple. Have a lot of time to think about it lol

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’re the most aggressive common tang by a long shot, IMO, IME. That said, they’re often OK with non tang or butterfly-shaped fish. As a sole tang going forward, it may become territorial towards any other newcomers.

How large is your tank? It’s important that they have 6 feet of swimming length. Most important of all is that you’ve quarantined and treated all of your inhabitants and you will continue to do so, as they will die of parasites you didn’t know were present otherwise.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one once ... and will try again, but lost the fellow in QT.

He was OK with most fish, but (understandably in retrospect) aggressive with a brace of female Watanabe angelfish added a day or three later.

~Bruce

Xanthurum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What 4Ford said...LOL. Just to add my opinion I believe if you stick to your statement of it being the last fish you are going to add to the tank you will be fine. I’ve seen tangs go ballistic over any new additions no matter what type of fish it was. Of course all fish have different behaviors and attitudes but PB’s have earned their reputations for a reason.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back