OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree. The UV is likely not doing much though - I might not turn it off.
Do you think leave the 5 watt UV sterilizer on? I only put it in there in the start once I was having bad dinos and green hair algae, and it hasn't come back besides little bits on the sand bed.

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes , and use the filter cartridge for it. . . but - cut the top of cartridge and shake out the carbon allowing filter cartridge to trap micron particles
Alrighty I will get into that tonight, once I test the water and everything matches the display tank and cooper is 2.5ppm just put him in the 20 gallon and start a 30 day timer?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Alrighty I will get into that tonight, once I test the water and everything matches the display tank and cooper is 2.5ppm just put him in the 20 gallon and start a 30 day timer?
Yes.
For copper- assure you do these steps:
Copper safe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes.
For copper- assure you do these steps:
Copper safe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
Yes sir, will not let you down, now just got to catch the tang, might need to get smart with it

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my main tank, I have a 5W sterilizer from Amazon, but I do not have the money for a big daddy one yet, I test everything twice a week and I did have a random ammonia jump last week and did a 10-gallon water change and it corrected. water is 78-80. If it is ich would it be worth to try to take him from the tank back to the 5 gallon to do 30 day cooper treatment, or would that be to much stress and put him to much at risk?

Sorry, I don't think the tang would survive in a five gallon tank for a copper treatment. Also, the other fish in the tank have been exposed, so if they contract it, you'll still be stuck.

Jay

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@MnFish1 @Jay Hemdal Let me know what you guys think about the information I have given, if you need more let me know and ill be checking my email. Also if you would like all whites I can do that if the video is not clear enough just let me know! Also thank you guys so much for the help means a lot, want to keep my beauty alive and in the best condition (despite what he looks like right now :(
Lets back up - a slight bit - how big is your fish? if its 'little' (like an inch) it will be ok in 5 gallons - but 20 is much better - and easier to control. Second - you're welcome for the help!!! Third - be rigorous with checking ammonia and copper levels - and IMHO - as the others have said - you're going to need to do the same treatment for all of your fish - and leave your display fallow.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you think leave the 5 watt UV sterilizer on? I only put it in there in the start once I was having bad dinos and green hair algae, and it hasn't come back besides little bits on the sand bed.
I do not think its hurting anything except your electric bill (sorry bad joke) - and may be doing some good in synergy with the treatment - as long as its there - there is no reason to turn it off with copper.

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@MnFish1 @vetteguy53081 @Jay Hemdal i just noticed my royal gramma this morning looking ify with his scales looking like they are sticking out instead of flush with his body if that makes sense. You guys suggested fallow (which is no fish in the tank correct?) if I have a 20 gallon qt dosed with copper can I add all my fish into it, all my fish includes powder blue, royal gramma, 2 clowns, damsel. How how do I do it because I have a fear or taking the two and in a week or two down the line one of my clowns starts to look not the best, so if I put them all into quartile to treat them, can I put them in a 20 gallon together for 30 days or no? What would you do?

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also got one more question for you guys my ammonia in the 20 gallon is testing about 1, nitrites is 1, and nitrates is 5 cooper is at 1 need to buy more fritz cooper safe to get it too 2.5ppm. I did just throw up the 20 gallon and I added the old 5 gallons from the 5 gallon tank and 15 gallons of new fresh rodi water and i put the rock that was in the 5 gallon in the 20 gallon and using the same HOB filter from the 5 gallon, should I let them settle first or get the fish in it? could they be wacky from the amount of cooper that I put in last night?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Also got one more question for you guys my ammonia in the 20 gallon is testing about 1, nitrites is 1, and nitrates is 5 cooper is at 1 need to buy more fritz cooper safe to get it too 2.5ppm. I did just throw up the 20 gallon and I added the old 5 gallons from the 5 gallon tank and 15 gallons of new fresh rodi water and i put the rock that was in the 5 gallon in the 20 gallon and using the same HOB filter from the 5 gallon, should I let them settle first or get the fish in it? could they be wacky from the amount of cooper that I put in last night?
Protruding scales are likely a form of dropsy and can even be uronema or bloating but need pics to confirm
Disregard nitrite but get ammonia to 0.25 or below
Nitrate at 1 is good and safe to at least 20

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Protruding scales are likely a form of dropsy and can even be uronema or bloating but need pics to confirm
Disregard nitrite but get ammonia to 0.25 or below
Nitrate at 1 is good and safe to at least 20
If I just added all the freshly made saltwater should I wait a few days or take some bioballs from my main tank and add them to it or what?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
If I just added all the freshly made saltwater should I wait a few days or take some bioballs from my main tank and add them to it or what?
You can add seeded bio balls and monitor water quality.

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can add seeded bio balls and monitor water quality.
Turned on complete white on both lights and it's a longer video so might have to skip but my gramma definitely has ick off of its fins and head you can see white spots as well as the tang, my glass is a tad dirty so it's not the best quality but I'm trying to get you guys the best I can to help me, and as it looks only the tang and the gramma are affected as it stands. Also one question my cooper is at 1ppm I'm using a Salifert test kit because I could not afford a Hannah test kit for cooper and I added half the bottle of fritz cooper safe which was over 34ml and online it said 30ml should get the tank to 2.5ppm should I continue adding and testing until i get the 2.5ppm??

Attachments

• IMG_2554.mp4
    13.9 MB

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Turned on complete white on both lights and it's a longer video so might have to skip but my gramma definitely has ick off of its fins and head you can see white spots as well as the tang, my glass is a tad dirty so it's not the best quality but I'm trying to get you guys the best I can to help me, and as it looks only the tang and the gramma are affected as it stands. Also one question my cooper is at 1ppm I'm using a Salifert test kit because I could not afford a Hannah test kit for cooper and I added half the bottle of fritz cooper safe which was over 34ml and online it said 30ml should get the tank to 2.5ppm should I continue adding and testing until i get the 2.5ppm??
Unfortunately I cannot view video until tonight as I was called for an emergency
Do not ramp copper but get to level of 2.0 to 2.25 within 36 hours
Ramping allows any given disease to gain resistance

Last edited:
OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I cannot view video until tonight as I was called for an emergency
Do not ramp copper but get to level of 2.0 to 2.25 within 36 hours
Ramping allows any given disease to gain resistance
Alrighty thank you for the insight. It is okay to put Royal Gramma and tank into the 20-gallon together to do their copper treatment?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@MnFish1 @vetteguy53081 @Jay Hemdal i just noticed my royal gramma this morning looking ify with his scales looking like they are sticking out instead of flush with his body if that makes sense. You guys suggested fallow (which is no fish in the tank correct?) if I have a 20 gallon qt dosed with copper can I add all my fish into it, all my fish includes powder blue, royal gramma, 2 clowns, damsel. How how do I do it because I have a fear or taking the two and in a week or two down the line one of my clowns starts to look not the best, so if I put them all into quartile to treat them, can I put them in a 20 gallon together for 30 days or no? What would you do?
That’s a lot of fish to hold in a 20 gallon for a full fallow period. Is it a 20 high or a 20 long? Can you set the 20 up with bio media from the DT?

Jay

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a lot of fish to hold in a 20 gallon for a full fallow period. Is it a 20 high or a 20 long? Can you set the 20 up with bio media from the DT?

Jay
It is a regular so tall not long, also I put a couple of handfuls of media from the display tank that includes bio balls and ceramic pieces, and then the filter that is on the tank had been running the 5 gallons for well over a year as well. I think I am just going to do the PB and the royal gramma and do visual inspections daily of the other fish and decide what to do with them weather treat or not treat.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I can't see the videos, etc - however it sounds like a dropsy - type condition. That said Dropsy is more of a freshwater thing - not a saltwater thing. my impression would be that if it is that - it's far more difficult than FW.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 34 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.1%
Back